Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quality concerns

My Pentax film cameras have been rock solid and held up for years, the k1000 took a nasty fall and suffered no damage,my Super Program needs a minor repair for the film door latch but not a big deal. My ist DL now is another story the mode rotary knob has issues. It seems this isn't an uncommon problem. The switch contacts wear out. I thought of buying a K-R but have concerns the mode rotary knob isn't any made any better. Does anyone know if they have improved the mode switches?

12-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter

I doubt anyone 'knows' if the mode dial has been improved but this is not an issue I have seen complained about with the k-r. But do keep in mind the life span of a digital body may not be the same as what you expected from your film cameras. I would think a 4 or maybe 5 year life span for a dslr is about right these days. They just are not made as sturdy as the old mechanical cameras and have more parts that can fail. I'm sure others might disagree with this and I know some folks keep the body longer than that but sadly the expected life span is less than it used to be. For example I have a perfectly functional Spotmatic made in the '60s. So it is at least 40 years old. I seriously doubt my k-x or k-5 will still be working after 40 years.
12-13-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's about in in electronics. Nothing is built to last. If you demand camera with long lifespan, you can probably count on Leica MP, or maybe even M7. Zeiss Ikon may be good as well. But digital cameras are made for convenience, trying to include loads of featues. And in 10 years max they are all trash.
12-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I think one of the problems cameras have now compared to film cameras is the sheer number of pictures people take with them, now that it's free (no film or processing expenses). The life expectancy of a film camera could generally be measured in a few thousand to perhaps a few tens of thousands (for a fairly busy pro) exposures, with the higher usage cameras also being built to higher mechanical specifications.
Now, people will buy the cheapest camera they can, and go out and expect it to last for several tens of thousands of exposure cycles (and all that goes along with it).

12-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
compared to film cameras is the sheer number of pictures people take with them
Excellent point. My k-x just turned over 40,000 actuations. That is certainly more than I put on all of my film cameras together in 20 years of film.
12-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

First, I am careful with my cameras
so you won't hear stories of survival from dropping them 13 stories.....

I purchased my Pentax K100D March/21/2007 -
so it's now well over 4.5 years old - shot count 18,339 -
and it is still working fine - more or less pristine
except the translucent white bumper strip on the left of the camera has fallen off
(... and can't get up )

Purchase K-x Nov/24/2009 -
shot count 43,283 -
obviously used a LOT more than the K100D ever was.
still looks in great shape.

I don't expect these cameras to last forever -
even though I hope they will -
and don't expect them to survive a fall of 13 stories -
although thinking of it......

the K100D did survive a fall for 13 Stories....
with aplomb -

Last edited by UnknownVT; 12-13-2011 at 01:46 PM.
12-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The mode dial on my K-r seems nice and tight, no issues with it at all. I seriously doubt that that would be a weak point on this model. Some people have had issues with the e-dial skipping when changing settings, but this is a very easy DIY fix. A small squirt of contact cleaner on the dial gets rid of the excess grease, and usually fixes the issue permanently.

I've put a lil over 18k clicks on mine since June, and it's been as close to perfect as I could have hoped.