Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2011, 12:01 AM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
i've been a pentax guys since the 70's (when i was a teenager) and had a pentax mx. i still have it with me and still working perfectly. it has a 50mm 1.4 lens. then have a K100D for my first DSLR. have ordered a battery grip for my K10D and some extra batteries too. i just love pentax cameras......

12-29-2011, 12:02 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
Congratulations!

IMHO, a properly functioning K10D outperforms a K20D and K-x at lower ISO's. I have all 3 of these cameras and have found the K10 to still produce the best image IQ, color and contrast, in my mind, there is no question about this. The 10mp CCD sensor is just dynamite and will provide you with enough room to print 20x30's if you actually wanted to. I have used it comfortably at ISO640 as well. The Out of Camera JPEG images, when properly exposed with the correct white balance, will require very little Post Processing.

However, my K10 does suffer from some Back Focus issues on a couple fast 50mm AF lenses I own and it is disappointing in this regard. The AF issues seem to be with only these 2. I would not hesitate to purchases another if my K10 ceased to function...
thanks....
01-03-2012, 06:13 AM   #18

K10D would be better if you would take night shoot with long exposure more than 0.3 second.
01-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The Out of Camera JPEG images, when properly exposed with the correct white balance, will require very little Post Processing.
White balance in tungsten light with a K10D is very yellow.

However, my K10 does suffer from some Back Focus issues on a couple fast 50mm AF lenses I own and it is disappointing in this regard. The AF issues seem to be with only these 2.
AF problems are very common with K10D's. I suspect you only notice with the fast 50's because they have low dof at wider apertures. Slower lenses hide the misfocus.

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-03-2012 at 11:23 AM.
01-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Billgscott Quote
I have the K10 and K20. Just got a K5 so the backup for that will be the K10 and the K20 will be getting converted to IR 720nm.

I have allways got better results from the K10, or at least more that I am happy with. Maybe it is the difference between CCD and CMOS, or maybe Sony and Samsung sensors, but the 20 has been a disapointment.

Very happy with the K5 and its Sony sensor.

Bill
I must say that I totally agreecwith you on the K10/20d-part...
I've gotten used to the balancing of colours on my K20d now but the K10d's colour rendereing and especially red's are still amazing!
I take a lot of portraits with colours around and on the subjects,and the red's tend to be exaggerated (correct spelling?) or blown out, no matter what white balance/colour temp my raw-files are...

I miss the K10d and am going to buy one again for this purpose.

The K10d also have more tweeking abilities in PS to me, up to ISO400 of course. Anything above that is almost unusable in my eyes.
The K20d's files are more "stabile" up to to ISO1600, but there seems to be a little grain right from base-ISO and it's not something I expected beforehand.

I've taken approx. 20000 pictures with my K20d and the 10 reached approx. the same before the motherboard went caput on my at the freezing beach one year ago.

Hope this helps.
01-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larsenio Quote
I must say that I totally agreecwith you on the K10/20d-part...
I've gotten used to the balancing of colours on my K20d now but the K10d's colour rendereing and especially red's are still amazing!
I take a lot of portraits with colours around and on the subjects,and the red's tend to be exaggerated (correct spelling?) or blown out, no matter what white balance/colour temp my raw-files are...

I miss the K10d and am going to buy one again for this purpose.

The K10d also have more tweeking abilities in PS to me, up to ISO400 of course. Anything above that is almost unusable in my eyes.
The K20d's files are more "stabile" up to to ISO1600, but there seems to be a little grain right from base-ISO and it's not something I expected beforehand.

I've taken approx. 20000 pictures with my K20d and the 10 reached approx. the same before the motherboard went caput on my at the freezing beach one year ago.

Hope this helps.
seeing all these posts made me realized that my choice of K10D is a good decision. since then i have bought 3 spare batteries and a battery grip. haven't tested it extensively yet as i've been so busy these past holidays but will sure grab it more often now than my K100D.

Thanks to all and HAPPY NEW YEAR...