Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Better option for my manual focus lenses?

I have a *istD with a katzeye for use with my manual lenses.
I'm thinking about using a K2000 and getting a katzeye for it.... better? same? worse? to use the K2000 over the *istD for this purpose?

12-15-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Sony NEX-5n is the current 'wonder boy' when it comes to ease of use doing MF.
Egronomics and looks aside of course.
Its current selection of good/fast native lenses is poor as well.
12-16-2011, 06:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess the first question is what lenses do you have.

if they are KA lenses, then all you give up is the bigger viewfinder of the *istD for an otherwise all round superior camera in terms if resolution, and perhaps high ISO performance, although personally I have always found the 1600 and 3200 ISO performance of the *istD to be quite pleasing.

If you are using older, K mount and M42 lenses, then I believe you really need to think this one over.

From my experience the *istD is about the best, most consistant metering camera out there for legacy lenses, and the *istD supports TTL as well as P-TTL flash, and you can use all legacy lenses with TTL flash.

the *istD can also do something no other pentax can do, and that is to use the built in flash as a slave for high speed sync, with another flash off board. all other cameras can only do this with a shoe mounted flash, not the built in.

In my view, keep the *istD, and since you can get very little for it used any way, buy a second body, if you want better performance overall, but I think a Kr would be better.,