Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2007, 11:14 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey, I'm right there with you. But why Av? Why not a compact all-manual DSLR, something akin to a digital MX? Of course, nothing like this will ever be built. Leica can only do it because they're Leica, and are not subject to the same market rules as the more "pedestrian" camera makers...you know, like logic.

12-26-2007, 11:29 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
Why not a compact all-manual DSLR, something akin to a digital MX?
Yeah...why not? I hate having to wade through features I never use to get to those I do. Just keep it simple, thank you.
12-28-2007, 10:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Intriguing argument, Kiss. I'm wondering if the cost for such a camera necessarily needs to be Leica-like, though... Losing all those features simplifies the components and build process. The manufacturer could put more into the sensor and build quality and still probably hit a marketable sweet spot price-wise.

If I could get this camera for, say, $500, I might buy one to own in addition to my DSLR - rangefinder look/size, DSLR base - because it would force me to become a better photographer.

Plus I really like the way those Rangefinders look. :^)
01-04-2008, 05:01 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
If I could get this camera for, say, $500, I might buy one to own in addition to my DSLR - rangefinder look/size, DSLR base - because it would force me to become a better photographer.
Well i would be prepared to pay ten times that, if they did everything right and in an unintrusive way compared to a K1000, a Cinon CE or CM or most cameras from that time.

There are some rumors that the russian camera maker Zenit are developing something interesting. Google for "Zenit N1" and also google for pictures. But the rumors also talks about 4/3 system, making a 2.0 crop factor. That would ruin the whole thing and making it a $500 niche camera hardly profitable.

01-04-2008, 06:49 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
Did Leica make a mistake with the M8? I have no idea. There seems to be a fair number of people who have purchased it, and any company discontinues models that don't sell. It's had mostly good reviews after the initial "green blob" reports (and fix). I haven't a clue whether they've hit their target sales goals.
Leica could throw any mix of features or lack of features in a new camera and it would sell. I have a suspicion that most folks buy a Leica because of that red thing on the front of their cameras.

01-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #21

In the past Pentax, to my mind at least, had always been equated with a no-nonsense attitude to the craft of photography and, until the advent of digital technology, made available camera models to suit the needs of various photographers. This policy has halted, probably for "sound economical reasons". They've inevitably moved away from making available the full-manual models and instead packed manual/auto options into digital flagships such as the K10D.

I don't have a problem with that, and so far I love my K10D, but I'm the sort of photographer that likes having a basic back-up body at hand - and this is one thing I miss from the days of 35mm.

The argument for a manual DSLR is not a case against auto-function cameras. Manuals and autos complemented each other in the film era; there's no reason, in relation to the craft of photography, why they shouldn't continue to complement each other today.

For me, it's a case of having available a relatively cheap back-up SLR that provides the creative freedom and image quality that can't be got via a point-and-shoot model or the current "entry-level" K100D.