Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
Site Supporter
slip's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 2 hours north of toronto ontario canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,515
what I would like to see in a DSLR

I am not sure if this is an option in any camera, but it would be nice if, not only could you choose the focus spot (like present) that you can also choose a second spot as well... why? use the first red dot for the subject in the foreground you want tack sharp and the secondary dot (like a different color) for what the furthest subject you want in sharp focus. Then the camera will automatically choose which F stop it needs. I know point and shoots of face recognition and can do something similar, but I would like to have the control.... so that I can decide where the nearest and furthest focus would be. yes you can try to figure it out or look at the LCD, but without it blown up it is almost impossible to see what is in tack sharp focus and what isn't. since depth of field varies with lens, distance etc, would be nice to be able to know that you have that piece of mind
hope this makes sense
just my 2 cents

anyone else have some thought on ideas that you would like to see in upcoming cameras?

any opinions welcomed!

cheers

12-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,958
I could swear that someone mentioned to me a camera that could do this, but I can't remember what it was. I'll post again if I do! In any case, this would definitely be better than trial-and-error in some circumstances.
12-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
slip's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 2 hours north of toronto ontario canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,515
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I could swear that someone mentioned to me a camera that could do this, but I can't remember what it was. I'll post again if I do! In any case, this would definitely be better than trial-and-error in some circumstances.
I agree.... when someone's precious memories are on the line like a wedding day, it would let us non pro photographers rest better at night

maybe the million dollar idea

cheers
12-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,535
On Canon's more advanced Digital SLR cameras they use A-Dep mode which basically calculates the near-far distances within the AF frame and calculates the appropriate F stop to cover the distance. Unsurprisingly, many Canon photographers don't have the faintest Idea on how to use it properly.

12-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,043
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
On Canon's more advanced Digital SLR cameras they use A-Dep mode which basically calculates the near-far distances within the AF frame and calculates the appropriate F stop to cover the distance. Unsurprisingly, many Canon photographers don't have the faintest Idea on how to use it properly.
Is that the same one as they had on the early EOS film bodies where you prefocused on the near object, then the far object and the camera set the aperture and focus distance needed to secure that depth of field?
12-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,535
Canon has made some alterations to the DEP mode, on the older 1Ds You had to use the centre AF point and a half press the shutter for the nearest subject, and repeat for the furthermost subject to set the distances for the DOF calculations. The camera automatically sets the lens to the Hyperfocal distance to cover the selected points - though you don't need to use the centre AF point just as long as the near and far points in your composition fit in the AF frame. However with more recent cameras Canon now calls it A-Dep mode* which automatically measures the nearest and farthest areas with a single half-press on the shutter release, as long as the subjects fit within the AF frame. This has rendered the feature essentially useless because it gives the user no control over the distribution of DOF and puts the camera in control.

* Which appears on the XXD,XXXD and XXXXD models, but is absent on the more recent 1 series cameras and the the 5D(II)

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-21-2011 at 10:59 PM.
12-22-2011, 03:57 AM   #7
Site Supporter
slip's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 2 hours north of toronto ontario canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,515
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Canon has made some alterations to the DEP mode, on the older 1Ds You had to use the centre AF point and a half press the shutter for the nearest subject, and repeat for the furthermost subject to set the distances for the DOF calculations. The camera automatically sets the lens to the Hyperfocal distance to cover the selected points - though you don't need to use the centre AF point just as long as the near and far points in your composition fit in the AF frame. However with more recent cameras Canon now calls it A-Dep mode* which automatically measures the nearest and farthest areas with a single half-press on the shutter release, as long as the subjects fit within the AF frame. This has rendered the feature essentially useless because it gives the user no control over the distribution of DOF and puts the camera in control.

* Which appears on the XXD,XXXD and XXXXD models, but is absent on the more recent 1 series cameras and the the 5D(II)
wouldn't the user setting both focus points at the same time, and being able to see these focus spots put the user in control not the camera? I would not want the camera to control where the focus points are automatically as computers can't "see"

thanks so far
12-22-2011, 06:04 AM   #8
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 892
What about a camera without a mirror and electronic viewfinder. You will have total control of DOF.
The problem with most lenses is that f/5.6 puts everything in focus or for longer lenses, the object of interest has moved while you tried setting the correct distances.

12-22-2011, 06:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,535
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
wouldn't the user setting both focus points at the same time, and being able to see these focus spots put the user in control not the camera? I would not want the camera to control where the focus points are automatically as computers can't "see"
With Canon cameras you can only select one focus point at a time in manual selection mode, with the 1Ds MKIII it is possible to configure the AF points to suit the pattern that covers the areas you are most likely to use, but even that is rather limited. As I said the A-Dep mode only appears on the XXD models on down, after all these cameras are designed to be used by "advanced amateurs" - whatever the hell that demographic is.
12-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
slip's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 2 hours north of toronto ontario canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,515
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
What about a camera without a mirror and electronic viewfinder. You will have total control of DOF.
The problem with most lenses is that f/5.6 puts everything in focus or for longer lenses, the object of interest has moved while you tried setting the correct distances.
I guess they would have to have a computer to figure out the variables like lens, distance, etc. algorithm?

thanks
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dot, dslr, focus, photography, spot, subject, tack
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which DSLR? b-west Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 08-21-2011 05:42 AM
entry-level DSLR v. professional/high end DSLR r00t_b33r Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 11-25-2010 06:43 PM
K100ds: best DSLR ever, or greatest DSLR ever? Steve Beswick Pentax DSLR Discussion 71 01-19-2010 02:47 AM
K7 as first dslr jijohnson027 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 01-06-2010 02:42 AM
First DSLR, considering k-x kimbaleo Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 15 01-02-2010 09:04 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:23 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top