Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
" I guess only Pentax and the sensor manufacturer can confirm this theory."

If you really wanted to know from the horse's mouth, you could e-mail the horse.

12-23-2011, 09:58 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
We all know that recent Pentax DSLR's shutter life is tested for 100,000 clicks. Once the shutter dies it's probably better to buy a new body rather than have it fixed.

That being said, if one uses a lot of the video function, does it have any negative effect on the shutter or the sensor life? Is there any official documentation on that matter?
As far as the shutter is concerned Live view and video modes are equivelent to bulb. I doubt they have a real impact on shutter life mechanically, but there could be some electronics, depending on how bulb mode is achieved, that remains energized and would operate a little hotter.

As for the sensor, I am not aware of any behavior that results in degrading performance over time, unlike, for example, light emitting diodes, there the light production does result in gradual degradation and loss of output over time.

Having said that, there is another issue, that being one of reliability.

For almost all electronic products the reliability changes by a factor of 2 for each 8 degrees C change in temperatre. i.e. the hotter something gets when operation the more prone it is to random failure. As a result. using live view, movie mode etc, will elevate the temperature and statistically there will be a measurebale increase in failure rate, but beyond that I do not know how much and I doubt this is published any where
12-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #18
Pentaxian

People seem to be worried about the mechanical shutter wearing out, but from what I understand, to replace the whole shutter assembly is a $200 or less repair, so if you get actually shoot that much I don't see the big deal in terms of cost vs lifespan.
12-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
People seem to be worried about the mechanical shutter wearing out, but from what I understand, to replace the whole shutter assembly is a $200 or less repair, so if you get actually shoot that much I don't see the big deal in terms of cost vs lifespan.
this maybe a little low, it cost me 325 for my K10D shutter, plus mirror assy, and lens mount, plus cleaning, but I agree, this is not a big deal to replace 100% of the mechanical parts for about 20% of the cost of the camera. It actually is value for money on a high useage shooter.

12-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Maybe it's time to just buy a new camera after taking 100.000 pictures/movieclips.