Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Possible problem with extended warranty

I just purchased a K-5 from amazon.com and after the camera shipped, I realized the company it was shipping from is in Canada. At the time I bought the K-5, I also bought a 2-year extended warranty. My question is --- will the warranty be valid since I bought the camera in Canada - it has an international warranty and the extended warranty says that the camera has to have come from Pentax USA.

I left a message for Pentax in Colorado since they're currently closed -- but does anyone know if the warranty will be valid? If not, I'll have to refuse to accept the camera coming from Canada. I would not have bought the camera from a company in Canada had I known.

12-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #2

I did the exact same thing, and I am curious too. We probably bought from the same seller.
12-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Pentax called me back. He didn't really give me an answer but said that I should accept the camera when it comes in and he will get back in touch after Jan. 3 because they are about to take their Holiday break. He said the extended warranty I bought was an old one. I hope I didn't mess up on this thing. Sure would like to have the extended warranty. I'll report back when I learn more. The extended warranty I bought says it's for K series cameras. I assumed that meant K-5 would be covered.
12-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If nothing else, the warranty that comes packed with cameras sold through Pentax Canada have a 2 year international warranty.

12-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Yeah, there is a K-7 and others warranty (which goes for about $8 now I think) and then there is a K-5 only warranty which is $20 (most places).
12-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Couple of things have happened, Pentax got back to me and said that if I retain my proof of purchase they will honor the warranty as long as the work is done in the U.S.

The other thing that happened, is that Emmy Photo in Canada said that they would send me a 2-year extended warranty if Pentax will not honor the one I bought - very pleased with their customer service.