Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RE: Why We Are So Rare...

I understand your frustration and I am sure many have experienced similar frustrations with electronic devices. But as for your title in the original post - Is this why we are so rare...!

I doubt that Pentax is the only company with problems of this nature. I suspect that there are Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc. customers with similar stories to tell. My daughter has a beautiful Olympus that has been in 3 times for repairs, only once on warranty, so I know it happens. But, she likes the little camera so she puts up with the reliability problems. At least her turn around seems a bit quicker than your own.

As for your repair, good luck. I think that it has to be worth it. I don't own the K5 but that camera certainly is a wonderful piece of gear and would cost much more than the repair price to replace. Especially if you try to change brands at this point.

12-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I feel sorry for your situation; hope you get it fixed/righted soon.

However, aside from the e-dial malfunction issue on your k-5 which is likely a quality control issue on Pentax's part, the warranty issue is not as unique to Pentax as it could happen to Canikon or Sony brand. I would follow up with Pentax US to see if they have the warranty on the repair work they did sometime ago and perhaps they can provide some credits for the job they did or did not do before.
12-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #18
Veteran Member

How long is the warranty on the repair?

Stupid to have to send it back to the States for repair. Really makes me wonder what "international warranty" implies; actually totally nothing.
12-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Small claims court is your friend. Likely they (Pentax Canada) will not contest. Sue for the full value of the camera. Take a settlement but do not sign off until a month after the properly functioning repaired camera is back in your hands.

12-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I hope whatever Pentax releases in the upcoming year is a QC improvement over he K-5. Sure the K-5 has a great sensor and was tweaked very nicely by Pentax, but the QC problems are what forced me to hold off on that model and instead bought a new NEX-5n to enjoy until something better comes along from Pentax. Something more dependable and has a decent AF. This may never happen, but until then, I am enjoying my Sony.

Jason
12-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For sure electronics give problems but it's how the parent company deals with and resolves the problem timeously that ultimately will create customer satisfaction and retain the client for future upgrades.

Pentax worldwide is pretty much dismal in this regard and why most "pros" will not touch Pentax (although some do take the chance)

My Nikon after a rugged trip to Austria developed a flash problem (wouldn't pop up) - it was taken in and fixed and replaced within 3 days (the faulty module was also given back to me.

Nikon offers free sensor cleaning for the life of the product.

That's how Nikon retains it's clients - well here in SA anyway
12-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Small claims court is your friend. Likely they (Pentax Canada) will not contest. Sue for the full value of the camera. Take a settlement but do not sign off until a month after the properly functioning repaired camera is back in your hands.
Except that Pentax Canada is not the defendant. The OP has no contractual relationship with them, his issue is the seller in the US and Pentax US. he cannot raise a claim in canadian court on a business deal conducted with American defendants in the united states under US law. While I feel for the OP he cannot follow this path. He can take legal action in the US if he wishes, but not in canada

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 12-24-2011 at 03:57 PM.
12-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #23
Pentaxian

You have every right to be angry. First of all, e-dial problems are far too common with the K-r and K-5. Second, I reject the notion that customers have to bear shipping costs in warranty cases. There are shops (e.g. T-dimension) who will pay for two-way shipping. Third, the repair was not done correctly and you should not be asked to pay for a repeat repair. Fourth, any warranty repair should come with it's own after-repair warranty. This is completely normal in Germany and New Zealand at least for certain products.

Having said all that, you'll find people like Dale everywhere. Don't blame everything on Pentax, the brand. I wish you good luck with making use of all legal rights available to you.

P.S.: Spray the contact cleaner into the gaps between wheel and body. No need to take the camera apart. Work the wheel while you are doing short squirts. You should only need a small amount overall. Work the wheel a lot after the spraying. This procedure may not work in your case but is worth trying. I'd only start it though after all attempts to get a warranty repair fell through.

Last edited by Class A; 12-24-2011 at 05:04 PM.
12-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
P.S.: Spray the contact cleaner into the gaps between wheel and body. No need to take the camera apart.
It probably goes without saying, but in case no one's mentioned it yet: Take the batteries out of the camera first & give it a few hours for the spray to completely evaporate before powering it back up. A short would not be a good thing.

Good luck & happy holidays,
Bobbo :-)