Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2011, 11:25 PM   #1

Pentax and tethered shooting, again.

For about one year ago, I got a message from Pentax Europe where they promised tethered shooting should be available for K-5 and 645D during January 2011.
During the year, I have tried to get more info about this, but it is complete silence from their side.

OK, I know about Pktether, but this does not run on Mac, and I do not want to buy a Windows PC only for this program. And yes, I have tested it running Windows in Parallel Desktop at my Mac, but turns to blue screen as soon as I try to do something.

I tried one more time to get some positive signals from Pentax, but they only answer "... it will be announced at Pentax's website if it became available ..."

I am sorry to say, I am tired of waiting. I need this functionality and I can not see any other solution than go back to a brand that deliver this possibility.
So my decision is made, I leave Pentax forever and buy Nikon again.

Merry Christmas to all of you!

12-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You do what you have to do.

For many of us, tethered shooting would be nice to have, but it isn't a necessity.

It's good you finally decided to move toward a system that have the features you need to get the job done.
12-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #3

Have you tried running Pktether on VMware fusion instead of Parallels?
12-23-2011, 01:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I understand your frustration with PKtether not being ported to Mac OS. If it was a commercial program or app, it probably would have been by now. I've got around it to some extent on the K-5, by purchasing a small HDMI monitor, and using the IR or corded remote. Obviously, it doesn't do all that a tether program could so, as you're limited to the camera settings when you start the process.

If there are enough of us willing to fund an app for Mac OS or iOS, then we might be onto something. I suspect there would be enough to spread the cost quite thinly, so perhaps we should start the conversation.

Enjoy your time with Nikon, though.

12-23-2011, 01:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Have you considered using Eye Fi cards? I'm not entirely clear on their usage, but I think you put a transmitter card in your camera, and a receiver card in your computer.

Another alternative if you didn't want to sell all your lenses is you could use a K20d in the studio, it supports tethering though it might be cheaper just to get a windows box for that purpose. Don't get me wrong though, I too feel that not supporting tethering in the last three flagship models now is inexcusable.
12-23-2011, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Bye, it's been swell.
Why did you buy a camera that didn't have a feature you needed in the first place?
12-23-2011, 11:43 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hi All!
I bought Pentax because of the compact size, weather resistant body, picture quality and superb lenses.
I also bought it because Pentax Europe promised in writings that the tethered shooting would be available in January 2011.

This is what they wrote:
"Dear Sir,
Thank you for your enquiry.

Tethered shooting will be available for the K5 next year.

First new software is developed that will work with the Safox IX+ AF-system.
This software is also applicable to the 645D, which has the same AF-system.
The plan is to release this software in January 2011.

I hope that your question has been answered to your satisfaction.
Should you have further questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

When replying, please make sure this email is included.

With kind regards,
Hans Libbers
Pentax Digital Camera Support Team"

Eye-Fi is not tethered shooting, these cards do only transfers pictures extremely slowly to a mac or pc. It is not possible to control the camera from the computer.

I use tethered shooting both for studio work, on location, and also for educational purposes. This feature is valuable when you run studio workshops.
How the K20D is working tethered is not good enough, to use this camera is not a solution.

I have not tested VMware Fusion, and I do not intend to do so either. I have tested so many possibilities that do not work. I think Pentax should do this work for their customers and present a solution that works!

Of course, if Pktether could be ported and works stable on Mac, but things move very slowly there too. Last release was in February 2011.

I think I have been patient enough and waited for Pentax to come up with the promised solution. I have given them more time the expected to come up with a working solution. They will not get any more time by me.

My opinion is that Pentax do not serving their professional users in a proper way.
12-24-2011, 05:43 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I agree, Pentax, especially under Hoya, did not think like a professional camera manufacturer. Even prior to Hoya their last K-mount camera really aimed at professionals was the arguably the Z-1 or even the LX. The MZ-S of course was a great camera but by that time pros were already making the switch to digital. Hopefully the acquisition by Ricoh will change things, I believe they mean to take on Canon, but in order to do that, they need to attract professionals to the brand, and things like tethered support just have to be there.

Svein, if you do decide to sell off your Pentax gear, you should write another letter to Ricoh, and tell them your reasons for leaving. It's important for them to understand the magnitude of the work that needs to be done.

12-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Okay, so I looked for Pktether to see what it was about. Looks like it is made in .NET, which could theoretically be converted to the MONO framework without too much difficulty. That all depends on if the creator is using native code or not behind the scenes. The problem is that it doesn't appear to be an open source project, so it is basically dead in the water as long as the creator keeps it that way. I remember seeing an open source Linux project a few years ago for Pentax, but I don't recall the name. Seeing as the languages used are different (I believe the old one was C++ based), I don't think the person who made Pktether has any requirements to release their source based on GPL or whatever the old project was licensed under.

So anyways, if the creator of Pktether made their project open source, I'd say there is a decent chance it could run under MAC / MONO framework with light modification.
12-24-2011, 11:58 PM   #10

Original Poster
I found this pkTriggerCord
Maybe someone with the right knowledge can make anything useful for Mac out of it.
12-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #11

You can try PhotoIRmote.
PhotoIRmote is a DSLR Remote Timer Controller for android devices like smartphone, tablets, etc.
You can use PhotoIRmote as a programable shutter release. Self-Timer Mode. It sets when the shutter opens.
- Interval Timer Mode. It sets how frequently the shutter opens.
- Long-Exposure Timer Mode. It sets how long the shutter stays open.
- Exposure Count Mode. It sets how many exposures the camera will make in total. If you set the counter to 000, the number of exposures will limited only by the amount of memory card space available. You can stop pressing again the Release Button.

You can also combine modes. For instance, you can program PhotoIRmote to wait 5min, release the shutter, then take a total of 25 exposures at 2min intervals.
It works via android device's built in audio plughole and wireless IR LEDs. Need to build very simple IRmitter(2 IR LED + 3.5mm audio jack):COMPACT IRMITTER | PhotoIRmote
I have checked, it works perfect with Pentax k-x.
12-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LRaven Quote
You can try PhotoIRmote
Huh? We're talking about tethering. This app has zippo to do w/ tethering...
12-26-2011, 04:53 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LRaven Quote
You can try PhotoIRmote.
PhotoIRmote is a DSLR Remote Timer Controller for android devices like smartphone, tablets, etc.
You can use PhotoIRmote as a programable shutter release. Self-Timer Mode. It sets when the shutter opens.
- Interval Timer Mode. It sets how frequently the shutter opens.
- Long-Exposure Timer Mode. It sets how long the shutter stays open.
- Exposure Count Mode. It sets how many exposures the camera will make in total. If you set the counter to 000, the number of exposures will limited only by the amount of memory card space available. You can stop pressing again the Release Button.

You can also combine modes. For instance, you can program PhotoIRmote to wait 5min, release the shutter, then take a total of 25 exposures at 2min intervals.
It works via android device's built in audio plughole and wireless IR LEDs. Need to build very simple IRmitter(2 IR LED + 3.5mm audio jack):COMPACT IRMITTER | PhotoIRmote
I have checked, it works perfect with Pentax k-x.
LRaven: Remote Timer and Tethered shooting is not the same thing. It is a lot of gadgets to use for remote trigging.
This is not my case, I want to have full control of my cameras from my Mac. Full control here means live view at the Mac's screen and possibilites to change Shooting Mode, Aparture, Shutter, Over/Under Exposure, Auto Focus etc. from the computer.
During a workshop, I connect a projector to my Mac. My students can then follow what I do at my camera before I shoot, and immediatly after see the result. Everything live at the big screen.

This is not a possible feature supported by Pentax by now. Only known solution is a Mickey Mouse program (small, smart, but not working very well) made for Windows platform.