Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2007, 07:29 PM   #1

Camera Dropped....

Hello! I bought a K10D two weeks ago and it dropped a week after having it. It was one of those moments where it happened so fast, that I am not even sure how it went from the bag to falling to my driveway. The body cracked by the flash area. I was sick over it! I am still sick over it, however, I do try to put it in perspective in the scheme of life. Luckily I had purchased the extended warrenty from the store I bought it at. The guys there were super nice and calmed me down. However, they told me it could take 6-8 weeks to find out if it can be fixed or if they will replace it. I am going crazy not having my camera. I am actually new to DSLR but now it is so hard to go back to using my point and shoot. I miss having it in my hands. Anyway, when something like this happens, does it usually take this long? Do you think they will replace it? I've heard that Pentax is good about that. I feel like if I get this one back, it will be like driving a used car. Any suggestions? Should I go back in and be a little more eager about getting it replaced and sooner than later? They were so super nice at the store so I don't want to be the pushy customer but I am so anxious to have my camera back. Thanks for any feedback!

12-23-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow I feel for ya I had somewhat a similiar issue (read here )

Chris mentioned you might be able to pay a little extra to get the fix expedited. I guess it all depends where they had to ship it to. Me I happened to be in a position where I was looking to buy another lens so I had some money which in my case went to another body!

I hope for the best for you. Merry Christmas.
12-23-2007, 09:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I too have heard of expedited service, though I was not offered it when I looked up service on Pentax's web site. My K110D was gone for about 5 weeks. Fortunately I had a spare.

If it went to Pentax Colorado you should be able to get the numbers needed to monitor the repair on line. I had to call them when mine was awaiting quote for 3 weeks. Amazing, he just got the quote while I was on the phone!
12-24-2007, 07:20 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for your help. I am really hoping they just replace it. It fell pretty hard. If they fix it, I am not sure I will even know if it is working properly because I've only had it for a week. I might go to the place I bought it and ask them for an update at the end of the week.
If they do replace it, do they actually send the store a replacement or can the store just give me a new camera? If they fix it, how will I know everything is working right? I am just so frustrated, especially not having it for the holidays.
Thanks for the help and support!

12-24-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome to Pentax Forums sunshine, and Merry Christmas

Let me start by saying that your not alone.
Several people here have dropped their cameras, and they don't usually get more than a scuff on them

Your camera is actually a Stainless Steel box, with the plastic case molded on top of it, so they're as tough as you can get.
As a result if Pentax does fix it you can be assured that it'll be working right.

If you haven't sent it in yet I'd just keep it until after the holidays. It probably still takes perfect pictures, and the image quality will exceed your P&S by a long shot.
12-24-2007, 11:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Did you buy it with a credit card? Not sure where you are from, but most credit cards in North America come with purchase protection for the first 60 to 90 days. They would replace it if it gets damaged or stolen. This would be a better option than pursuing the servicing yourself if applicable.
12-25-2007, 10:51 AM   #7

Original Poster
wow...that is interesting. i bought it at ritz and spent $200 on the extended warrenty. they have the camera now. it feel pretty hard and cracked around the whole area of the flash. somehow, the lens survived so that is good. i am going to research the credit card option. thank you for the information.
12-25-2007, 11:03 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Thats really to bad sunshine, I dropped mine about a month ago and was going to send it back as I bought mine from Ritz with the two year extended plan also. When I found out how long it would be gone I decided to wait untill after the Holidays.

Good Luck.

12-25-2007, 07:50 PM   #9

Original Poster
you are lucky yours still works. mine didn't work correctly after it dropped.
back to calling the credit card company. would they pretty much do the same thing Ritz is doing...send it back and then get an analysis of if it will be repaired or replaced ,or will they automatically replace it?
thanks again!!
12-25-2007, 09:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sunshineL Quote
back to calling the credit card company. would they pretty much do the same thing Ritz is doing...send it back and then get an analysis of if it will be repaired or replaced ,or will they automatically replace it?
thanks again!!
Time to dig up your credit card agreement. It depends on the credit card and the insurance company terms. Or the best is to look at your credit card benefits online, and if you see Purchase Protection listed, call up your credit card company and discuss the situations with them. I know some of them would replace it outright.
12-26-2007, 10:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
wow...that is interesting. i bought it at ritz and spent $200 on the extended warrenty. they have the camera now. it feel pretty hard and cracked around the whole area of the flash. somehow, the lens survived so that is good. i am going to research the credit card option. thank you for the information.
From what I undderstand, the ritz warranty would protect you against dropping it, so they should have replaced it and for 200.00 bucks, I would expect it to be replaced or I would be requesting my 200 bucks back...
12-26-2007, 01:32 PM   #12

Original Poster
Hi! I called Visa and it turns out it was a debit card I usd. Ugh!! I totally forgot I had decided to be a "super woman" and pay for this out of my small business account rather than our joint account and used my debit card, which doesn't have the purchase protection. If I would have have used my Visa card, they would have sent me the money to replace it and they would have sent it in 2 days. Ugh...I am kicking myself! I did use my Visa to purchase the lens that was on the camera when it fell. It appears to be working fine, but I'll bring it to the store I bought it (not Ritz) and have them check it out now that I know I am covered by Visa. Now I know to never do large (or fragile) purchases with my debit card.
You did convince me to put on more of a strong front with Ritz though. You are right, I paid $200 and it should be replaced. Although, I guess they could say to me that if I didn't pay the extra $200, it wouldn't even be repaired. I would be out the initial $800. Anyway, I am calling Ritz now for an update. Thank you all for your support and especially for the knowledge about the protection plan with credit cards. Good to know for the future!
12-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #13

Original Poster
hi! just called them but the manager wasn't there. i talked to the sales guy i worked with and they actually haven't even sent it out yet. this happened almost 2 weeks ago. he is so nice so i couldn't become the angry customer. i just explained that i've done research and am learning that with the protection plan and how hard the camera fell, that i should probably be honored a full replacement. i told him i would love to have it for a ballet performance this weekend and for new years. i hope this gets things rolling on the replacement. i'll stop in there tomorrow when the manager is there. question, if they give a replacement, can they give me one on the spot or do they have to still send the other one in? should i really push for this or just put this on the backburner until they get it sent in? thanks again!!!
12-26-2007, 01:53 PM   #14
Site Supporter

hi! just called them but the manager wasn't there. i talked to the sales guy i worked with and they actually haven't even sent it out yet. this happened almost 2 weeks ago. he is so nice so i couldn't become the angry customer. i just explained that i've done research and am learning that with the protection plan and how hard the camera fell, that i should probably be honored a full replacement. i told him i would love to have it for a ballet performance this weekend and for new years. i hope this gets things rolling on the replacement. i'll stop in there tomorrow when the manager is there. question, if they give a replacement, can they give me one on the spot or do they have to still send the other one in? should i really push for this or just put this on the backburner until they get it sent in? thanks again!!!
I'd say you may have to become quite firm with your requests. Be polite but firm. You need your camera for _____ fill in the blank. They *should* be able to give you a replacement on the spot given you paid for the insurance. I hope for the best for you.
12-26-2007, 02:02 PM   #15

Original Poster
yeah, i think you are right. i think i've been too sweet and polite but tomorrow i'll be a little more firm. that is what my hubby said too.
thanks for letting me know what to expect. i wasn't sure if they still had to send the camera in for a replacement or if they could give me one on the spot. wish me luck for tomorrow!!