Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Took the plunge today

...and ordered K10D from Beach Camera. Couldn't resist the $609.00 price tag. Also ordered the Tamron 18-250 and 4GB Sandisk Extreme III from BH. I think that will be pretty good for starters. I see a potential need for a lens in the 16-50 range with a big aperature for lower light stuff but the Pentax DA* is a bit pricey. May have to settle for the Sigma 18-50EX Macro, but we'll see.

Speaking of lenses I have a circa 1980s Rikenon f2.0 manual lens that is a Pentax mount (I think). Is this one that will get stuck on the K10D? I am not willing to use my new camera as a guinea pig.

12-23-2007, 10:05 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Ricoh lenses sometimes have a pin that gets stuck in a screw hole on the camera body, or perhaps a contact hole. you will have a lens with a valid Pentax KAF mount - look for any extra pins on the back of the R lens to see if there is anything extra there. If there is you have several options.
1. Sell the lens
2. Compare as above
3. Junk it.
12-23-2007, 10:41 PM   #3

Congrats, Workingdog! You'll be very happy!

To add an option to Albert's list of suggestions:

4. Use your new camera to take a picture of the mount and post it, asking the forum. I surely won't be able to help with the actual identification, but there are a lot of knowledgeable people here!

-Chris
12-24-2007, 12:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The Ricoh lenses sometimes have a pin that gets stuck in a screw hole on the camera body, or perhaps a contact hole. you will have a lens with a valid Pentax KAF mount - look for any extra pins on the back of the R lens to see if there is anything extra there. If there is you have several options.
1. Sell the lens
2. Compare as above
3. Junk it.
Or remove the pin...

Congrats on the purchase, you won't regret it.

12-24-2007, 07:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I like Chris' idea of taking a picture of the mount and posting it. It may not be for a while though because I'm sure I'll be pretty busy just learning the basics about the camera. On visual inspection I don't see any "extra" pins protruding anywhere, maybe a good sign.