Veteran Member

k10d engineer interview

This is a great read regarding the intentions of k10d engineers

OK1000 Pentax Blog: K10D Interview with development engineers of Pentax Japan

12-22-2006, 01:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
2 sections I found interesting

ASCII 24: We understand that Pentax determines target users very clearly before starting development of products. What sort of user demographic have you targeted for the K10D?

Pentax Team: The K10D is a step up from the K100D and it was Pentax’s first attempt to separate lower and upper models, forming a lineup. The K100D mainly targeted entry level but with the K10D, the target is those who have a good understanding of photography, and love photography. It could be what is called “advanced amateur,” in the 40’s to 50’s age bracket.

---------------------------------------------------

Pentax Team (Mr. I. Hirai, Imaging System Division, Development Department): The pixel pitch is smaller and the sensitivity has a one stop disadvantage (ISO 100 to 1600). This means a higher degree of noise, of which we were fully aware, so we strived for “film-like quality,” which was always our goal. It’s true that noise increases as sensitivity increases, but we wanted to make the noise look more natural. A special concern was not to create a “digital-like” image due to unnatural suppression of noise by image processing. In order to achieve more natural looking images, we conducted various fine tunings.

---------------------------------------------------

ASCII 24: What would be the benefits of a beefed up actuator?

Pentax Team: Response and braking accuracy have been improved. The mechanism has been further refined from that used for the K100D. Consequently, the correction improved by another 0.5 stop (2 to 3.5 stops in the K100D and 2.5 to 4 stops in the K10D).
12-22-2006, 01:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ASCII 24: When opening and closing the battery cover, I could feel a tight closure, but not so much on the memory card flap.

Pentax Team: For the memory card cover, a sealing material is pasted on body side and water/dust tightness is obtained by the cover being pressed on it. Perhaps that’s why you might have felt that way. In order to secure the seal tightness, the form of cap was so designed that it won’t be loosened by just one action.

------------------------------

ASCII 24: While many makers are now employing a pentamirror finder, Pentax are using costly glass prism.

Pentax Team:The prism itself is the same as that used for the *ist D, but a brighter screen is used

ASCII 24: AF response seems improved. I felt a stronger torque on focusing ring during AF.

Pentax Team: It is probably due to the change of power source. It was changed from AA batteries to a dedicated Li-ion battery. As it can apply 7.2V consistently, the AF motor can take advantage of the higher voltage.

So AF speed improvement was not intended...
12-22-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

"It is probably due to the change of power source."

this of course means that it was simply a by product of the change to the normal twin cell 7.2 lithiums..

"probably".. i like it.. he he

and how many knowledgeable people actually want more noise..

how many really knowledgeable people would love a k10 with with only 6 six mega pixels and usable iso 3200..

whatever market it was aimed at they dont seem that clever to me.. they are still buying more mega pixels and more noise.. and pentax are selling em what they think they want..

if having a six mega pixel pentax camera makes me an "entry level" kinda dude i am happy to be there.. he he he

trog