Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What to do.... What to do...

So, I have been sitting on the gear I have for a few months now. Nothing much has been going on, and looking to downsize/improve on what I have.

I have been thinking of dropping down to just one camera. I have both the K7 and K5, and really have no use for 2 bodies. I hardly ever need both bodies. (Ok, I NEVER need 2 bodies) but its nice to have. I just have this fear that as soon as I sell the K7, the K5 is going to get dropped, ran over, eaten by a kangaroo, etc. I know this is a silly thing to fear, I dont have a backup house if mine burns down, nor a backup wife should the one I have is sleeping... yet it still creeps me out a bit..

Anyways. The gear i have is listed in my profile.

I am thinking of downing it all down to the:
K5
18-135
10-24
50 1.4

Selling the:
17-50 2.8
70-200 2.8
K7

and buying the:
16-50 2.8
50-135 2.8

I dont know if this is a rash decision, or if I should just go for it. I do like the 17-50 and the 70-200, but i think I will like the pentax 2.8's better. (I do love my 18-135)

anyways, doing the math, it looks like the K7 with battery grip should pull $550/$600, maybe $300 for the 17-50 and hopefully $600 for the 70-200.
I think I could get both lenses for about $1400, so it would be an even swap. Just dont know what I want to do yet.

Any suggestions?

12-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
eaten by a kangaroo
Everyone knows that Kangaroos only eat Nikons!
12-23-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, for starters, kangaroos are herbivores not electronivores so you can cross that possible fate of your K5 off the list. Saltwater crocodiles on the other hand, can destroy anything in about 1/4 of a second so if you are planning on visiting Australia... that's a factor.

But seriously man, no one can make this decision except you. You know what everyone thinks of the various lenses you may want to buy (that's why we have the reviews) and you know what YOU think of the lenses you already have.
I just find I get a 'feel' for lenses and after a while I think one of 3 things: "I am never selling this lens." or "I am selling this lens straight away." or "I might sell this lens one day but only if I get a hold of that other lens and the price is right for this one."

If you're a photography nut then you should have the K-5 (Pentax's best camera under $10k) and the best set of lenses that covers the focal lengths you need. Eg. I have the 16-45 for my wide needs (but can also do family etc)., the Tamron 28-75/2.8 for my medium length needs and still with the speed - and I really want a 50-150 or 50-135 f2.8 for my more versatile portrait need etc., and then I have the FA 100-300 for birds, as well as the Sigma 170-500 for further away birds (or smaller ones). Then a couple of primes for my sharpness and speed needs. If you are that unsure of whether you need the lenses and cameras, I'd say you don't... but it really depends how keen you are and what you shoot.
2 bodies is handy for things like weddings and events where you can have 2 lenses attached and switch between them at will... otherwise I'd say ditch the K-7 before Pentax release their successor to the K-5 and the K-7 becomes 2 gens old.
12-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quazimoto Quote
... otherwise I'd say ditch the K-7 before Pentax release their successor to the K-5 and the K-7 becomes 2 gens old.
This is my entire thought process...

12-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Backup wife...hmmm...
12-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Sounds like you have a plan already. Getting attached to gear is a slippery slope, you end up keeping it past its usefulness thereby impeding yourself from accessing newer and better equipment. Once a successor for the K5 is released the K7 will be less desirable. You already said you have no need for 2 bodies. I just sold the K-r and got the K5 - great move for me and the sale of the K-r offset the cost of the K5 considerably. I'm also selling a couple of lenses that are redundancies for me. My next purchase in the lens department will probably be an f2.8 zoom given all the kids sports shooting I do. The idea is that there is a reason for each choice, you seem to have yours all set out so just do it.
12-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I don't see much advantage swapping the lenses.
12-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Even if the K-5 didn't have the dismal reputation for reliability that it has, you have to consider the ramifications of having your one body fail. Repair can take months and months. You don't have a spare house, but you can't buy one for $500, either. I'd keep some overlapping focal lengths as well, just for redundancy.

Paul

12-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is true, but I dont rely on taking pictures for a living. I dont do weddings, the only "money" that is made is through mostly friends asking for a photo sessions. So the only real "loss" if the K5 was damaged would be not being able to take photos for fun.

The only downside to this, would be that if I did sell the K7, forget the lens "swapping" is that I would end up spending the money on something else lickidy'split... Money burns a hole too quick lol.
12-23-2011, 08:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That is true, but I dont rely on taking pictures for a living. I dont do weddings, the only "money" that is made is through mostly friends asking for a photo sessions. So the only real "loss" if the K5 was damaged would be not being able to take photos for fun.

The only downside to this, would be that if I did sell the K7, forget the lens "swapping" is that I would end up spending the money on something else lickidy'split... Money burns a hole too quick lol.
Think of it as recycling. You're being a good Pentax Citizen by selling used equipment that you no longer need. In the bargain you get to use the money on better equipment for your own enjoyment. Win-Win in my book.
12-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What are we thinking price wise they are worth?
I was ballparking

K7 w/ Grip Katz Eye, and Pentax magnifier = $600

Tamron 17-50 2.8 = $300

Tamron 70-200 2.8 (some lens dust) = $600

I thought these were pretty fair to current market value huh?
12-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I would say that's about right for the first two (the 17-50 I don't really know what it's worth actually) - but the Tamron 70-200 can be had for just over $700 NEW, so I think $600 with lens dust is a touch ambitious.
I'm not just saying that because I am a potential buyer - but I actually am. If you want to sell it for $500 no hassles, I'm your man :-)
12-24-2011, 07:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Haha. Well I'll have to think about it. the 70-200 is by far my favorite lens. I use it whenever possible. Even in times it's not at all practical. Lol it's going to be hard to throw the for sale sign on it.

It's actually strange. It seems to take better photos than even the 17-50. Colors are better. Everything. Sometimes when I use the 17-50 I feel like the photos are from a point and shoot. They are just there. Nothing special. Just a photo.
12-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I don't see much advantage swapping the lenses.
Agrees with this. Those lenses are fine and will go with a new K-5 quite nicely. The 16-50...hmm, good luck there as they seem to be hit or way miss.

Jason
12-24-2011, 11:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Sometimes when I use the 17-50 I feel like the photos are from a point and shoot. They are just there. Nothing special. Just a photo.
Well the Tamron 70-200 is rated by some as the BEST of those 70-200s, including even the Canon L series, except for it's hesitant autofocus... but when it focusses right, apparently it rolls with the best.

About what I quoted - yes I find that with all lenses of this range, even faster ones. I had the Sigma 17-70 f2.8 - 4.5, and it just did nothing for me. I am not a good photographer by enthusiast standards, but I find I can get more 'magic' out of the super wide 10-24 (which I can see you own yourself), the wider angle just inspires me. A 17-50 is neither here nor there for me. Not that fast. Not that wide, not that long... But if I was a better photographer I'm sure I could make it come alive.

PS. You shouldn't sell the Tamron if you love it so much. Seems a simple choice to me. People may tell you that you only need the EQUIVALENT focal length of 70-200 (50-135) but why? Personally I shoot portraits at over 70mm all the time - I would be just as happy with a 70-200 as I would be with a 50-135... so if you like it, keep it!

Last edited by Quazimoto; 12-25-2011 at 12:07 AM.