Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax prices

I hate to say it but it is tempting to switch sides and buy a Cannon. You can buy a Cannon Rebel T3 with 18-55 lens for $439. You cant hardly get close to a used KX or KR for that price.

12-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Well, both of those Pentax models are better than the Canon, at least specs-wise, so there you go. A t1i would be more comparable -- somewhere in the middle of those two Pentaxes.
12-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think you are confused with the T3 vs T3i model. T3 is the lowest level and replaces the XS model whereas T3i is more advanced although still entry level camera. K-x and k-r are more in line with "i" series. Of course, it depends on what you want...if T3 is the brand you are after, then go for it.
12-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

T3 is a basic entru level from Canon . Plastic body
Go and look here
You will see why the T3 is an entry level versus the K-R
Canon T3 vs Pentax K-r

12-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

KJ, you've obviously been around for awhile, have a film camera and an IST D - shouldn't your lenses be your primary deciding factor? If you're still using the kit lens, why not upgrade to a used K-x and put some money towards an upgrade in the lens dept?
12-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The K-r has better ISO, fps, dynamic range, more AF points, and faster max shutter speed. Like pxpaulx said, shouldn't your lenses be a factor? The T3 comes with a mediocre Kit 18-55 too.

From DPReview: "Of course this is still fundamentally a relatively cheap kit lens, so all is not a bed of roses, and the test numbers don't quite tell the whole story. Local constrast is still lower than more expensive lenses, and flare can be a real problem, both likely predicated by reflections of stray light from the inside of the lens barrel, which is much less shielded than on more expensive lenses. The manual focus ring and lens hood are both nearly worse than useless, and while Canon aren't alone in cutting corners here, both Pentax and Olympus have shown that these simple features can be implemented well on a kit lens without bankrupting the company."

The-Digitial-Picture.Com commented on CA: "Another unique attribute to the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II Lens is the CA (Chromatic Aberration) it exhibits in the non-center portion of the image. Unique is that the CA is most noticeable at and beyond f/8 at all but the longest focal lengths. So just when the image is getting sharp, CA starts to show up."

Last edited by Docrwm; 12-24-2011 at 03:06 PM.
12-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You should be able to score a used k-r for $400, considering that the white/red ones were $499 new.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

With the used market it just takes a little patience to wait for the right deal to come along...it will!
12-24-2011, 11:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Really? OP, sorry, but you haven't done your research. I've seen a used K-x sell for as low as $300, but typically between $340 to $375 depending on what's included. K-r's sell about $100 more than a K-x, give or take, but I've seen a used K-r priced at $400. Take a gander at the sold archives before you compare to the T3. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the T3 when the K-x/K-r are the better performing cameras. At least look at the T3i instead if you're going that route.
12-26-2011, 06:14 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input, I think I will be patient and watch for a good deal on a used KX or KR.
12-26-2011, 06:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
4 days before your original post, this was listed on the Forum Marketplace:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/169074-sale-sold-pentax-k-x-bo...c-adapter.html

It sold the day before you posted.

This was listed 5 days before you posted:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/168975-sale-sold-k-x-white-body-dal-55-300mm.html

It sold yesterday.

If I'd had more cash, I would've been all over one of these.

Nice used K-x bodies pop up all the time in the $325-$375 range. Keep your eyes peeled on the forum & if you want one, you won't have to wait long to get a deal.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)
12-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
Special sale price in the UK

Just before Christmas, Argos were advertising the K-R and kit zoom for £379. Special price in the after-Christmas sale? £449! It's usually the supermarkets who try these tricks; Argos must be getting desperate. In case anyone else is looking, my research points to Jessops being cheapest at the moment.

A belated happy Christmas to all.
12-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kjfishman Quote
Thanks for all the input, I think I will be patient and watch for a good deal on a used KX or KR.
Future lens prices should be a contributing factor, as well.