Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2006, 01:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Baffled...need help.

Menu item on K10D .... image tone.
Shot picture with and without this set.
Notice no difference. (subject was bland)
Cannot find info on this. Can see a little icon that looks like a curve adjustment.
Does anyone know what this is to do or should do?
Brightness for pictures printed just out of camera with no PP?
Thanks.

12-22-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

i dont think anyone knows exactly how it does it.. but it turns up the gain on one or several things.. i would guess the contrast.. saturation and sharness levels get tweaked up slightly when bright tone is selected.. its just a quick way of producing a slightly more punchy colourfull image which no doubt could be done in some other more conventional way..

the effect can be subtle.. i think it all works from a basline of how u have certain parameters set.. but then again it could completely overide them.. the difference is more noticable with an image that isnt bland..

its a jpeg thing.. trying to satisfy all desires.. those that like to do their final touches and those that trust the camera.. it kinda loses its point somewhat when u throw in the raw option.. thow better there than not there..

the k100 overdoes its colour saturation the k10 dosnt..

trog
12-22-2006, 02:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ahhhh. Was reading the engineering interview and that is what got me to post the question.

Basically the Image Tone is the Brightness image of which they discuss that would give more of an image like the people who use the K100 vs people who want to do their image 'natural' and PP, correct?
12-22-2006, 02:29 PM   #4
Xgear

Images are finished brightly, with high contrast and sharpness. One button bumps up on contrast and sharpness. The icon you see after you press the ok button is a navigation aid,
It indicates the front and rear e-dial and menu page number. Turn the e-dials to navigate the menu.

12-22-2006, 02:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
Menu item on K10D .... image tone.
Shot picture with and without this set.
Notice no difference. (subject was bland)
Cannot find info on this. Can see a little icon that looks like a curve adjustment.
Does anyone know what this is to do or should do?
Brightness for pictures printed just out of camera with no PP?
Thanks.
Page 120. of manual

BTW, this setting matters only for jpegs. For RAW there's no difference.
12-22-2006, 03:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks much. Even with the manual read and re-read I am getting overload. I appreciate your guidance.
12-22-2006, 04:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

when phil askey reviewed the k100 he knocked pentaxes choice of saturation settings.. he said they were all too high they needed knocking back a step.. with the k10 they seem to have done this.. it dosnt blow the red like the k100 does..

and to me the only difference between the people who use a k100 and the k10 is the amount of money they have to spend.. he he

trog

12-23-2006, 10:20 AM   #8

That does not sound nice...

... but shooting in "Bright" mode is like another well-known brand approach to imaging ...
If this would be the only option I would quit and stay with my Pentax SLR gear and avoid digital as a plague- but it is just me and my eyes and my world and my vision and my brains etc.

Best and merry Christmas etc..., JR
12-23-2006, 11:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

i think its a purist thing.. i see lots of images criticized because they lack.. colour.. "punch" or whatever else is required to make an image stand out.. dont see that many criticized for having too much of it..

its like hi-fy "a faithfull reproduction of the original sound" or just something that sounds nice..

natural or bright

again an attempt to both satisfy the "purist" and someone who wants a picture that looks nice..

me.. i long ago gave up the purist nonsense and just want sounds that sound nice and photographs that look nice..

of course calafornian bright aint quite the same as english bright.. every time i look at the sample pics i see on steves digicams i cringe.. calafornian "natural" is way too "bright" for me.. he he he

trog
12-23-2006, 12:20 PM   #10

To Trog:

You aint right in terms of digital PP...
If camera does too much processing it is not recoverable afterwards :-(
So my silly question to You: which is more flexible/powerful/configurable: body with its best CPU/FW or something like ACR/CS/Lightroom/Pentax_Photo_Lab?

Just my .02 and merry Christmas to all (but hope You all keep on thinking and SHOOTING), JR
12-23-2006, 06:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

it might sound a silly answer but a human operator with his powerfull post processing tool is quite capable of making a far bigger b-lls up than the camera with its little one.. he he he

and he very often does.. he he

happy chrstmas and happy shooting..

trog