Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2006, 05:05 AM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Nah, I'll be shooting up in Arkansas. No one will notice.

WP
Oh we'll notice alright. We tolerate you Texans but don't push it.

A baseball cap usually is all I need but I also carry a boonie hat, one that I normally use when bass fishing. It blocks just about any sunlight from the finder and also protects my head and neck from sunburn.

Dan

12-23-2006, 08:49 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bdavis Quote
Not to keep picking on you, but you've actually scratched your glasses with your camera? I've got an illustrious history of stopping things with my face, all coming with enough force to tell me that I should probably avoid such situations, but I've never scratched my glasses. Shattered the frame of some unbreakable sports goggles, and I wonder at the state of my nose sometimes, but no scratches. None. I'm finding it hard to believe that I could cause such damage with my viewfinder.
Oh go ahead and pick on me...I can take it.

In the days of glass lenses/metal frames I pushed the camera so close to my face that the lense popped out and bounced down the stones of a dry waterfall (is than an oxymoron?). Chipped away about 1/4 of the edge of the lense and the optometrist didn't do anything about replacing the lense, just put the old one back in the frame. Being poor at the time I just looked like a dork until I could go to the next perscription. Later I changed to plastic lenses to reduce the weight on my nose, using a scratch resistant coating. Well it wasn't and my right lense was definitely more scratched than my left. I finally smeared some fish tank sealant around the viewfinder to soften the contact area...messy but functional. Glasses are a pain in the face.
12-23-2006, 08:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
could you please let me know more about this?
my eyes are right off the chart when it comes to reading without glasses.
Will PM you.
12-23-2006, 09:47 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photodan Quote
Oh we'll notice alright. We tolerate you Texans but don't push it.

Have to apologize to Dan, who called me on my wise crack!

I love Arkansas. We've been going up there between Christmas and New Years every year for the last twenty-one years, in other words, we started going up there long before it got popular. I start looking forward to our vacation every year sometime around mid-August, when the temps here are in the 100s every day.

Nowadays, most of the funny looking people we see probably ARE Texans like us, vacationing up there. :-)

Will

12-23-2006, 10:05 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Have to apologize to Dan, who called me on my wise crack!
Will, No reason to apologize at all. I knew you were kidding (you were kidding, weren't you?)

We Arkansans (I've only been here for 18 months from Washington, DC) have a sense of humor but we can be a weird lot.

Dan
12-23-2006, 10:15 AM   #21

Rather simple solution for me...

... was the 1.18x magnifying eyepiece (eyecup?) install (Pentax original of course :-) )...
What I gained:
1. 20% larger view and MF aid;
2. No loss of light (IMO);
3. Far better ergonomics under bright light- the eyepiece extends and has a soft rubber band blocking light more efficiently than standard one;
4. Less noseprints on LCD;
5. Less tilted captures (avoiding #4 I guess :-))

Best and merry Christmas etc., JR
12-23-2006, 10:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reps Quote
... was the 1.18x magnifying eyepiece (eyecup?) install (Pentax original of course :-) )....

Sounds just like what I need. Do you by any chance have a URL or product number or something that would help me find this item? Thanks,

Will

12-23-2006, 11:25 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Sounds just like what I need. Do you by any chance have a URL or product number or something that would help me find this item? Thanks,

Will
Will,

Here's the Pentax part# for the magnifying eyecup:

Pentax O-ME53

B&H will have it available in a week or two here

Pentax O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup

Dan
12-23-2006, 12:03 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photodan Quote
Will,

Here's the Pentax part# for the magnifying eyecup:Pentax O-ME53

Outstanding, Dan. Thanks so much. I'll check it out.

WP
12-23-2006, 12:14 PM   #25

Yep, this was it...

... thanks Dan but the price at BH is unreasonable high somehow- I paid for my one €20 locally... but anyway it is worth the price (my story is very straight- tried it on my K10D in the store- and refused to take it off )- and afterwards found out with my K100D that I need another one

Best and merry Christmas, JR
12-23-2006, 12:24 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reps Quote
... thanks Dan but the price at BH is unreasonable high somehow
Price is the same at Adorama. I think it seems reasonable. I think I'll order it.

Does it slip over what I've got now, or do I take what I've got now off and replace it?

Will
12-23-2006, 12:27 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too, wear glasses--bifocals. What a pain in the ...

I assume the problem is one of eye relief--the distance from pupil to viewfinder and that it is much larger with glasses on than off. And that glasses off you cannot make an eye-piece diopter adjustment sufficient to correct for your vision? And because of the space you must wiggle about to get the full viewfinder view and that sunlight glares into the eye as well.

Clarence is on-to-something with his old-glasses-ground-down scheme.

And Pentax lists in their dealer catalog a special external adapter specific to the K10D that does the same task. You need a knowledgeable local dealer and a few minutes with the catalog. It may not yet be available, but perhaps a similar device from an older camera might work. This would be worth contacting Pentax Customer Service in your country via e-mail.