Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2006, 02:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
shooting with glasses, bright light

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I wear glasses. Even after I adjusted the diopter, I still don't feel that I see what's in the viewfinder as well wearing my glasses as without them. And if it's bright and sunny outside, I have an irresistible temptation to put my left had up on the side of my face to block out the light.

Is there a solution for this? I rather feel like I should buy a nun's wimple and throw it over my head while shooting.

Will

12-22-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

with or w/o glasses, if it's too bright, I tend to cover w/ my other hand prior to shooting just so I can see everything.
12-22-2006, 03:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
with or w/o glasses, if it's too bright, I tend to cover w/ my other hand prior to shooting just so I can see everything.
Right, but if your left hand is on the side of your face blocking the light, it's NOT under the lens supporting the camera, the way they show the photographers shooting on my Famous Photographers Bubblegum Trading Cards. Not a problem?

Seriously, I'm thinking of taking a black towel with me when I go birding next week, if it's a bright day. I don't mind looking like an idiot in front of the birds.

Or, since I've spent all this money already on the camera, should I just break down and get lasik surgery - or at least switch to contacts?

Will
12-22-2006, 03:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

well, I usually just block it out just to see my composition, then I do the usual photographers stance, u know w/ the hand under the lens, etc, etc. adjust settings, and fire. when I do shoot, I mostly have my contacts on, it's easier for me to press my eye against the eye piece, but, I hardly ever find the need to cover up.

ever try those like safari hats or something? a nice towel wouldnt be too bad too I guess

12-22-2006, 03:14 PM   #5

Even with contacts this is still a problem for me in the strong Australian sun.

Using one hand to cover the eyepiece is a technique I sometimes use (this is not ideal). The towel over the head would be a good idea, although you may find yourself in the local lockup

The other method is to get a "rough" reading using the top LED and then use preview to check the histogram.

I have noticed that the contents of the viewfinder become brighter / darker depending on the strength of the light. Unfortunately though, not bright enough.

I have seen a couple of posts showing an attachment to put on the eyepiece and was wondering if that would help.

Regards

Bob
12-22-2006, 03:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K10D Quote
The towel over the head would be a good idea, although you may find yourself in the local lockup
Nah, I'll be shooting up in Arkansas. No one will notice.

WP
12-22-2006, 03:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

When I used to wear glasses I came up with a different solution.

First when in the sun, wear a white booney had that is black under the rim.

Second, you must have an old pair of glasses around where the perscription is close to what you wear now. Determine where on the lense works best for your viewing purposes and have your optometrist grind down the edge of the lense to the size you need. Attach it over your viewfinder. On my 35mm I used fishtank clear silicone sealant as it was a simple viewfinder. On the newer cameras you may have to devise something else so as not to goop up any moving or disolveable parts.

Now it is your camera for your eye only and you don't have to worry about contacts and dust blowing in your eye.

And for heaven's sake don't get that surgery. I got rid of my glasses using simple eye exercises. Left eye was 20/400 now is 20/40. Takes some effort but it is worth doing and I don't have those darn dents in my nose anymore.

12-22-2006, 04:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That is possibly the most intense solution I've ever seen, Clarence.

I've got glasses...&a baseball cap to block out the sun. (Currently rockin' a "I saw Sue at the Field Museum" cap/or a black 'X-box' cap) You've got to tilt it back a bit sometimes, but it works.
12-22-2006, 05:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdavis Quote
That is possibly the most intense solution I've ever seen, Clarence.
I arrived at this solution because I kept either scratching the lense on my glasses with the camera back and/or shoving my glasses back toward my eye so I could take advantage of a wider field of view through the viewfinder.

I like booney hat style as it is floppy and even if slightly tipped back can flex on the side toward the light to block the glare.
12-22-2006, 05:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Same problem, whether I'm wearing glasses or contacts - it's just not possible to see the viewfinder info properly in bright light, sometimes it's even difficult to focus. If I'm wearing my hat, I'm sort of okay. If anyone knows of a big rubbery eyepiece I'd like to hear about it! I'm sure I've seen them before...

Julie
12-22-2006, 06:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Something like this?
eBay: Eye Cup Eyecup for Pentax LX & K 1000 Camera NEW $2SHIP (item 120067304553 end time Dec-28-06 05:58:38 PST)
12-22-2006, 06:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Clarence, if it works for you, it works. I'm not knocking it, but it's not something I would have ever considered. Like I said, it's too intense, so I'll just have to suffer my own solution. And with as much sun as we get in NM, I'll be suffering quite a bit.
12-22-2006, 06:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
I wear glasses. Even after I adjusted the diopter, I still don't feel that I see what's in the viewfinder as well wearing my glasses as without them. And if it's bright and sunny outside, I have an irresistible temptation to put my left had up on the side of my face to block out the light.

Is there a solution for this? I rather feel like I should buy a nun's wimple and throw it over my head while shooting.

Will
would prescription sunglasses work?
or possibly do what clarence says with the ground down eye glass in the view finder and put on sunglasses as well?

I hope I got the question right

randy
12-22-2006, 06:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
When I used to wear glasses I came up with a different solution.

And for heaven's sake don't get that surgery. I got rid of my glasses using simple eye exercises. Left eye was 20/400 now is 20/40. Takes some effort but it is worth doing and I don't have those darn dents in my nose anymore

could you please let me know more about this?
my eyes are right off the chart when it comes to reading without glasses.

thank you very much!

cheers

randy
12-22-2006, 06:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
I kept either scratching the lense on my glasses with the camera back
Not to keep picking on you, but you've actually scratched your glasses with your camera? I've got an illustrious history of stopping things with my face, all coming with enough force to tell me that I should probably avoid such situations, but I've never scratched my glasses. Shattered the frame of some unbreakable sports goggles, and I wonder at the state of my nose sometimes, but no scratches. None. I'm finding it hard to believe that I could cause such damage with my viewfinder.