12-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is there going to be a K-r replacement?

11 Things That Will Be More Expensive in 2012 - dealmac.com

QuoteQuote:
2. New Digital Camera Models
Smartphones have quickly replaced budget friendly point-and-shoot cameras, so manufacturers and retailers are focusing more on higher-end digital SLRs. This year, consumers may have a hard time finding a newly-released digital camera with an inexpensive starting price, as the market is moving towards more feature-rich products. "Lower cost products just won't come to market and those that will be out there, will be priced more and more for profitability," says Stephen Baker, Vice President of Industry Analysis at the NPD Group.
I have seen rumors that there will be a K-5 replacement and nothing else. But then again, even a low-end DSLR is more profitable than a P&S.

12-27-2011, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
"Lower cost products just won't come to market and those that will be out there, will be priced more and more for profitability"

This is such a vague, undefined statement, that it can be applied successfully to any moment in the past, present, or future.
12-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
"Lower cost products just won't come to market and those that will be out there, will be priced more and more for profitability"

This is such a vague, undefined statement, that it can be applied successfully to any moment in the past, present, or future.
Well, he is an ANALyst.
12-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

No, there will never be a replacement. Ricoh just bought Pentax to kill it off. We are all doomed. Guess I'll just eat worms and die. Ciao!

12-28-2011, 12:37 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, there will be a replacement. If you buy a second-hand one
12-28-2011, 08:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

K5 will be the replacement for the K-r (at K-r price) K5 will be replaced by mirror-less FF (at K5 price)
12-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best Guess?

Considering the available products from the other makers, I don't see how Pentax (Ricoh) can avoid putting a $500.00 (give or take $50.00) DSLR out soon.
My guess is it will have 14 MP or so, a 3" screen, adjustments for 20 lenses, no top LCD, either a dedicated LiPoly battery with AA adaptor option or a battery grip available.
Shake reduction will be via a customizable wheel or button setting, not requiring the user to take their eye away from the viewfinder. Same for AF/MF and JPEG/Raw setting.
I think it will have the chunky K10 D style, since the absent top LCD will allow the "shoulder" to be less wide. Perhaps there will be one more button or wheel for S/R, AF/MF and JPEG/RAW selection.
ISO range will be 50-12800, EV -1-+20, exchangeable screen with split prism available.
This body will only be a "holding action" for 1 to 1-1/2 years, when an all-new system will be introduced.
Last guess? It will be called the K 3D or K 30D.
It's all so clear....
Swami Ronanonda

Last edited by rbefly; 12-28-2011 at 09:40 AM.
12-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Considering the available products from the other makers, I don't see how Pentax (Ricoh) can avoid putting a $500.00 (give or take $50.00) DSLR out soon.
How? By putting out a mirrorless camera for $500, like Olympus does with their E-PM1. There are ways; whether they'll be taken is a different topic.
12-29-2011, 03:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Well, he is an ANALyst.
She.

Jason
12-29-2011, 07:02 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Kr replacement - the current Kr with the same sensor as the K5, and call it a Kg! That's why they have not announced it yet, because they want to sell K5s until their replacement is announced in January! Of course thie may be nothing more than wishful thinking on my part too...
12-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There will be a kr replacement. Just don't be surprised if it doesn't look quite like a standard SLR.
12-29-2011, 09:24 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
She.

Jason
QuoteQuote:
says Stephen Baker, Vice President of Industry Analysis at the NPD Group.
Kind of a funny name for a girl.
12-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Shake reduction will be via a customizable wheel or button setting, not requiring the user to take their eye away from the viewfinder.
Is that an issue? I leave shake reduction on all the time, unless I'm using a tripod (when I normally use the time delay which disables it automatically). Is there a style of photography that involves switching it on and off (or adjusting its strength with a wheel) a lot?
12-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
She.

Jason
Nope.

= Stephen Baker at NPD
12-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shake It Up?

Hi Brangdon,
"Is that an issue?" (Shake reduction switch)
Probably not. But I don't leave mine on all the time, since it isn't really needed if you're shooting at 1/1000 0f a second with a short lens. Both the K110 D and K10 D user manuals suggest NOT leaving it on all the time, since it drains battery power unnecessarily (again, maybe not an issue, but I've had batteries run out at very inconvenient times) and obviously, when using a tripod.
Since the switch exists, and is used sometimes (more by some than others), it would be more functional if you didn't have to fumble for it (look where it's placed!), just like the AF/MF switch and the RAW button.
So, my "Wish List" or prediction for the new K5 has the hard to find/use switches located on a thumb wheel or somewhere you could find/use them easier.
Ron

Last edited by rbefly; 12-29-2011 at 11:47 AM.