Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax, Airstash, iPhone, BFF

Just upgraded from the iPhone 3 to the 4s for its amazing camera that I'll always have with me. But instead of shelling out the big bucks for a larger storage capacity I decided to save it for an airstash. This morning it arrived, I installed the Airstash+ app, pulled out my k2000, shot a few test shots (raw .pef's), and put the sd card into the airstash. I browsed to today's DCIM folder, saw one of the test files, touched it and crossed my fingers. After a few seconds the image appeared on the screen. It can, from their app, be saved to the camera roll where you can email it, message it, FB it, or heck, probably even put it in your PF albums. I was pretty happy about this; now I can go on vacations or holiday weekends with nothing but my phone, dslr, and the airstash and get those pics of baby boy off to the grandparents immediately without having to bring my laptop.

It does some other cool stuff like stream videos or music but this was the one thing I wasn't sure would work and really hoped it would. It does, at least in the latest iOs (5.0.1). I know there are a lot of other pentax+iphone users around here, figured my positive results might help y'all decide if this super-expensive sd card reader is worth the money.

12-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting, I will check it out.
12-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
More testing tonight. Importing fullsized images (10.2 Megs) on the iphone results in a picture of a square with the label 'jpg' in the middle of the square in the camera roll. These are possibly placeholders for files that are larger than the iphone wants to display so I enabled the 'downsize to fit screen' option. The photos were now photos but zooming in on them revealed that the pictures were horrible (jpg quality 2 or 3). Thought about it for a moment and remembered that my pentax has a function I've never seen a use for: in-camera raw development. I developed a 6 meg jpg, imported it (w/out downsize to fit screen), and the photo was ultra sharp on the iphone screen. So yes, pentax raw is supported, the conversion tool in their app is awful, but it's not hard to skip that converter with in-camera development and get super awesome shots into your iphone or ipad in the field. Save the raws for when you get back to the shop, though.

It's got an http server, too, so if you're running a wifi device w/out an airstash app and can save images from a web browser (maybe kindle fire or nook tablet?) you shouldn't have a problem.
12-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #4

Hello rsBayArea,

Thanks for sharing your experiences! Can we get a few sample Pentax raw files that you're having trouble importing? We depend on Apple's libraries for raw decoding, but it sounds like there's something about the import process itself that's going wrong in this case. We don't have one of every make & model of camera yet, so sample files from users are very helpful.

The conversion tool in the app is designed only for on-screen viewing as it downsizes the image to the screen resolution of the device. As you've discovered, zooming in on those images results in something that isn't very pretty. :-)

Thanks,

Brian Mastenbrook
CTO Wearable Inc. Makers of AirStash