Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2007, 01:13 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10D at ISO 1600

I took some images last night at ISO 1600 with my K10D at a fire scene. I believe the image quality is quite acceptable.
K10D + DA* 16-50 @ 50mm, 1/6" @ f/4.0, AWB, MTF Program line.

Here is the full image and a bottom left crop. Larger files are available at my Flickr account.
Crop from bottom left corner of Fire on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo   
12-24-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I agree, a lot reviews and critics talk about the high ISO noise, but the truth is that the images are still very usable. Can it be better? Yes, but don't believe the hype that slightly higher noise in high ISOs is a deal breaker.
12-25-2007, 12:52 AM   #3

Seems to me that Pentax's noise has a different structure, not like Canon's or Olympuse's (don't actually know wbout Nikon's). And this structure makes images much more acceptable. Can't explain this clearly, but Pentax's noise does not spoils the picture, while Canon's and Oly's does...
12-25-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Snowcat Quote
Seems to me that Pentax's noise has a different structure, not like Canon's or Olympuse's (don't actually know wbout Nikon's). And this structure makes images much more acceptable. Can't explain this clearly, but Pentax's noise does not spoils the picture, while Canon's and Oly's does...
Now that you mention it, I tend to agree. Pentax's noise seems very similar to film grain, not to picky little zits in the frame. It only appears in the shot above (have a look at the Flickr image for full size) when the magnification is up in the stratosphere. I was personally pleasantly surprised at the quality of the image.

I did not mention, although it seems obvious to me, that all the shots were available light, and were taken on a good sturdy tripod.

12-25-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I too have read posts that are critical of the K10D for noise at high ISO and also that it lacks ISO 3200. Well, in all of the examples I have seen the K10D shots at ISO 1600 look pretty darn good, as good as or better than the competition. As for ISO 3200 the competition's examples that I have seen are a noisy mess, and by competition I mean Nikons and Canons in the under $1500.00 price range. It never fails to amaze me that some folks bash the K10D by comparing it to cameras that cost 3x as much. Oh, well.....
12-25-2007, 01:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Silly Question
But would the noise go down on the K10D if you were to change it to 6MP?
12-25-2007, 03:45 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Silly Question
No, it's the sensor that's at issue here, not the resolution. The sensor itself is 10.3 MP, and 6 MP would have compression (JPG as there's no RAW 6 MB for K10D) and the noise will be the same, if not looking as if it has more because it's going to be shot in JPG mode.
12-26-2007, 08:34 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sefirato Quote
No, it's the sensor that's at issue here, not the resolution. The sensor itself is 10.3 MP, and 6 MP would have compression (JPG as there's no RAW 6 MB for K10D) and the noise will be the same, if not looking as if it has more because it's going to be shot in JPG mode.
i remember reading on dpreview forums that setting k10d to 6mp drops noise to k100d level or even better

would look up for link but search is broken over there as always

12-26-2007, 08:52 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Croc Quote
i remember reading on dpreview forums that setting k10d to 6mp drops noise to k100d level or even better

would look up for link but search is broken over there as always
Setting your jpeg size to 6 Mp might give the impression of lower noise because the compression algorithm will smooth out some of the phantom pixels. I shoot only RAW-PEF and any jpeg is done from Lightroom. As the image size decreases, the apparent noise appears less, just as grain in film becomes more noticeable as the image size increases.

I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the images I took that evening. I was expecting noise like Tri-X pushed two stops, but it is not there.

I did not make it clear, but the lighting was all ambient in the shots, and included sodium street lamps, fire truck spot lights, assorted police flashers and fire truck flashers and who knows what all else - including Christmas lights behind me. AWB worked in this situation.
12-26-2007, 09:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Silly Question
The posted image is something like 0.3 megapixels. (About equivalent to a 3"2" print.) It doesn't really make much difference if you take a 10mpix image and resize it to 0.3 or if you take a 10mpix one resized in-camera to 6mpix and then resize that one again down to 0.3.
12-26-2007, 10:57 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Rookie opinion here.

I like to shoot basketball games without a flash. I have used my 50-135mm 2.8 @ 1600 ISO and wasn't real crazy about the results, however, I have had nothing to compare it to, i.e. Canon , Nikon etc. I will say that when I dropped down to 1150(?) ISO I found the noise to be acceptable. In my opninion I would use 1600 as a last resort for something I consider important.
12-26-2007, 12:25 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The posted image is something like 0.3 megapixels. (About equivalent to a 3"2" print.) It doesn't really make much difference if you take a 10mpix image and resize it to 0.3 or if you take a 10mpix one resized in-camera to 6mpix and then resize that one again down to 0.3.
Matt, go to Flickr to see the crop at 100%. The link is just above the top picture. I could not upload the full picture at 100% because of size limitations on the site, but the crop is original size. The crop from the bottom left corner, at "Original" (in the list of things at the right, under "Other sizes")
12-26-2007, 07:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magnum1 Quote
Rookie opinion here.

I like to shoot basketball games without a flash. I have used my 50-135mm 2.8 @ 1600 ISO and wasn't real crazy about the results, however, I have had nothing to compare it to, i.e. Canon , Nikon etc. I will say that when I dropped down to 1150(?) ISO I found the noise to be acceptable. In my opninion I would use 1600 as a last resort for something I consider important.
ISO 1600 can be quite good. You just have to expose as far to the right as possible. Whether or not that will give you the shutter speeds you need is another matter. Here's a few of my informal test shots doing just that: Re: ISO 1600 shoot-out - dslreports.com There is more noise in the shadow areas, but even then, I don't think it's bad. The full thread is here: ISO 1600 shoot-out - dslreports.com

Here is a link to the article that I found that in (and using your lens): Pentax Forum: Is it hype? Or does the K10D do just fine at high ISO? - photo.net
12-27-2007, 07:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Here's a quick and dirty pic I took for a Xmas photo competition on a an automotive forum i am on ... and I had the ISO bumped up (still in AUTO) ... but it was taken at ISO 1600 as well.

Was taken with a Tamron 90mm in a dark room ... handheld ... and I thought the noise was going to be shocking ... but not that bad really

Only editing of the image was cropping.

12-27-2007, 10:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Matt, go to Flickr to see the crop at 100%. The link is just above the top picture. I could not upload the full picture at 100% because of size limitations on the site, but the crop is original size. The crop from the bottom left corner, at "Original" (in the list of things at the right, under "Other sizes")
Yeah, I saw. I just thought the resized version makes a good demonstration about why shooting in 6mpix mode doesn't really make much of a difference.