Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-7 Live View noise

I've just upgraded from an *ist D to a K-7. I'm interested in using Live View to check DOF and to for manual focus, but I understand Live View can make the shots noisier due to additional heat.

Has anyone done any systematic testing of just how much time in LV mode produces how much additional noise, and whether turning off LV right before taking the shot eliminates the additional noise, or if not, how much time LV must be left off after using it to eliminate the additional noise, etc.?

If not, any anecdotal experiences?

Thanks,

Greg

12-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use LV quite a bit especially to nail focus on macro shots (with a large HD external monitor) and when using long manual telephotos. I never noticed any increased noise. If nothing else, the images look much better since they are focused perfectly.

If you leave it on for some time, it will shut off automatically. I believe the manual says 5 minutes. The camera records the sensor temperature so you can check and see what difference (if any) exists with and without LV. Just look at the EXIF data.

The only drawback I can think off is battery life. If your battery indicator is not at full capacity (all bars are lit) don't even try, it will shut off the camera very quickly. I typically use a grip with an additional battery just in case I run out. Interestingly, if you switch the camera off and then on, the battery seems to recover.

One thing I would recommend is to turn it off and then take the picture, otherwise there is too much mirror flipping around that may introduce some blur.
12-29-2011, 03:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have never noticed any difference in noise using my K-7 with or without using the live-view function. I have not performed an extensive side by side or A/B test with or without live-view to test for noise, but have taken thousands of shots with or without and have never had a concern or noticed any difference.

Jason
12-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, demp10 and Jason.

I saw that the manual says that increased noise could happen more at high ISO, so I did a quick, informal test at ISO 5000. I took shots first with no LV, then with LV, then 30 seconds of LV, then 1 minute, then 2 minutes. All of the same scene of course, with some deep shadow.

I couldn't tell any difference in noise betweeen any of them. My conclusion: it's nothing for me to worry about. Maybe it only happens when the sensor gets really hot, right before shutting down.

Greg