Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
First images with K-7, 40mm ltd. & OP/TECH USA straps

I finally broke down and bought the 40mm limited, and UPS dropped it off about an hour ago. B&H was punctual as usual and this was the first time I remembered to link through the forum for a purchase. I'm not the type to take self portraits, but I always enjoying seeing very sharp portraits that people post online. Out of curiosity, and because I'm currently home alone, I wanted to see how sharp I could get [my eyebrows] with a hand held image sitting in my living room. I was finally able to hold still enough to get a sharp image with SR assistance. This image, and the rest, are all viewable at a larger resolution if you click through to Flickr.

Also, in a different thread we were discussing lenses and I mentioned my new OP/TECH USA strap setup. I actually purchased two different straps plus a uni-loop adapter. I was able to mix and match the quick release connectors in order to get a perfect setup for both of my cameras. I bought everything at B&H and here are links for the exact equipment for my straps:
OP/TECH USA Super Classic Strap-Pro Loop (Black) 1001082 B&H

OP/TECH USA Utility Strap-Sling (Black) 3501242 B&H Photo Video

OP/TECH USA System Connectors-Uni Adapter Loop 1301012 B&H Photo

BlackRapid FastenR-3 Third Generation for R-Strap RFB-3SB B&H
Here are some quick shots of both cameras using the straps. I was too lazy to pre-focus, sorry. This first image is of the sling strap. The only modifications are that I swapped the forward uni-loop for a pro-loop and added a BR FastenR-3 to the tripod mount.

This next image shows the camera brought up and shooting in portrait orientation:

Portrait orientation view from behind:

Camera up and shooting in landscape orientation:

Landscape orientation view from behind:

The main reason why I bought the Pro-Loop strap and Uni-Loop adapters were so that I could swap these pieces out at the quick disconnects. The Uni-Loop adapters actually end up on the Pro-Loop neck strap which you can see here attached to the D200:

Finally, the reasons for moving one of the Pro-Loop straps to the sling are two-fold. First, it allows the camera to hang inverted safely from two points (instead of one) and also it can be quickly grasped. Second, it makes for an incredibly slim wrist strap when disconnected from the sling:

Wrist strap in landscape orientation view from behind:

I store my K-7 with only the wrist strap attached and will only use the sling when it's needed. The perceived weight of the cameras with the OP/TECH straps is much reduced, particularly the D200, which never hung comfortably before. The main reason I purchased the sling and 40mm were so that I would have a light weight and slim profile DSLR package that I am more likely to take with me regularly. Judging by my self portrait above I have a great copy of this lens and I can't wait to begin using it. The total cost for all of the straps as seen here was $65 as they all had free shipping. Feel free to ask questions if you have any, and don't forget that there are larger views available by clicking through to Flickr.

12-30-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the photos of your setup. I was having trouble envisioning it from your earlier posts. Congratulations on the new lens too.
12-30-2011, 06:49 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks for the photos of your setup. I was having trouble envisioning it from your earlier posts. Congratulations on the new lens too.
Thank you, and I'm glad the pictures helped. I took a picture of the sunset last night and the colors are pretty spot on: