Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #16
Site Supporter
klkitchens's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Allanta, GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 398
Nice...thanks for sharing

01-03-2012, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Stone G.'s Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Zealand, Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,508
Thanks dbparker for alerting us.

I got a small netbook (WIN 7 Starter OS) for Christmas which I intended to use with PK_Tether for field-use (mostly astrophotography) so, the appearance of version 0.6.0 was for me very timely indeed. My findings after a quick run with my K200D:

P, Sv, Tv, Av, M work almost flawlessly - as they ought to, since they also did (on my K200D) in version 0.4.5. This also includes changing ISO, self-timer settings and mirror lock-up from the computer. I cannot use bracketing and I haven't tried Hi and Lo continous shooting yet.

The bulb-mode features in version 0.6.0 are a major improvement. As well the timer (now allowing for more than 30s settings) as the "no need to hold the shutter down manually feature" seem to work excellently.

The period shooting feature is still rather unreliable (and unpredictable) causing my K200D to freeze at a number of settings.

The buffer still only allows for two pictures at a time unless I use "autosave".

But with the 2s mirror-lock up and the improved bulb features I pretty much have what I need most for astrophotography. Well done Tomasz Kos!
01-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member
alohadave's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quincy, MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,024
I tried it out, and it works better than the older version with my K-5, but it flashes the top screen constantly while the app is open.

After a few minutes and several test shots, it froze my camera. I had to take the battery out to reset it. It wouldn't respond to any buttons or switches.
01-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #19
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 307
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
.... but it flashes the top screen constantly while the app is open.....
This happens on both K-7 and K-5, you need to turn it off in the user settings, as in privous versions.

01-04-2012, 04:22 AM   #20
Site Supporter
aliasant's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Stockholm
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 634
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
I tried it out, and it works better than the older version with my K-5, but it flashes the top screen constantly while the app is open.

After a few minutes and several test shots, it froze my camera. I had to take the battery out to reset it. It wouldn't respond to any buttons or switches.
I had that exact same thing happening twice before I gave up ( Using a K5 with latest FW)


Would it be possible to get liveview in the preview window at least while focusing?
Another thing that would be nice is to change focus point from the tether app.
01-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #21
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 65
hi guys, i tried this pk tether on my pentax k-x, it works well, but is there a zoom functions of images taken? it seems not useful for studio shot if there is no zoom functions, as one of the reason to get it preview on computer is to check the focus.
01-05-2012, 12:36 AM   #22
Pentaxian
Zafar Iqbal's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,157
I had PK Teather and Lightroom running when I tried. PK Tether to transfer from camera to PC and Lightroom to auto import from the transferred folder.

You could use any image viewing app that supports RAW, to evaluate. It's not a big deal IMO.
01-05-2012, 02:13 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Stone G.'s Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Zealand, Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,508
Agree with Zafar Iqbal - I use the browser in the Pentax Digital Camera Utility. Note also, that in the PK_Tether menu, there is a Full-Screen Preview option.

01-05-2012, 02:28 AM   #24
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 307
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkang Quote
hi guys, i tried this pk tether on my pentax k-x, it works well, but is there a zoom functions of images taken? it seems not useful for studio shot if there is no zoom functions, as one of the reason to get it preview on computer is to check the focus.
There is actualy, look a the slide switch just about the shutter button?
01-05-2012, 02:35 AM   #25
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,191
Tomasz does it again! Thanks for this update! (Now I wish the Bojidar Dimitrov site also gets an update....)
01-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #26
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Thanks dbparker for alerting us.

I got a small netbook (WIN 7 Starter OS) for Christmas which I intended to use with PK_Tether for field-use (mostly astrophotography) so, the appearance of version 0.6.0 was for me very timely indeed. My findings after a quick run with my K200D:

P, Sv, Tv, Av, M work almost flawlessly - as they ought to, since they also did (on my K200D) in version 0.4.5. This also includes changing ISO, self-timer settings and mirror lock-up from the computer. I cannot use bracketing and I haven't tried Hi and Lo continous shooting yet.

The bulb-mode features in version 0.6.0 are a major improvement. As well the timer (now allowing for more than 30s settings) as the "no need to hold the shutter down manually feature" seem to work excellently.

The period shooting feature is still rather unreliable (and unpredictable) causing my K200D to freeze at a number of settings.

The buffer still only allows for two pictures at a time unless I use "autosave".

But with the 2s mirror-lock up and the improved bulb features I pretty much have what I need most for astrophotography. Well done Tomasz Kos!
Interesting, you got it to change the ISO from the computer? I can't get it to do so for the K-x. As for the occasional freeze during continuous shooting mode - I had the same problem on my laptop but when I tried it on my desktop with a quad processor and 3x the RAM it worked like a charm.
01-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #27
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 65
So it is good it can be integrated with lightroom, I read about lightroom only support tethering with nikon and canon camera.

I will try out lightroom with it, does it needs to do some set up? what i wish is I can immediately zoom in to check for focus once a picture is taken.


QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I had PK Teather and Lightroom running when I tried. PK Tether to transfer from camera to PC and Lightroom to auto import from the transferred folder.

You could use any image viewing app that supports RAW, to evaluate. It's not a big deal IMO.
01-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #28
Veteran Member
alohadave's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quincy, MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,024
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkang Quote
So it is good it can be integrated with lightroom, I read about lightroom only support tethering with nikon and canon camera.

I will try out lightroom with it, does it needs to do some set up? what i wish is I can immediately zoom in to check for focus once a picture is taken.
The Nikon/Canon (or other cameras that support real tethering) tethering is a feature of version 3.x of LR. What you are looking for is Auto Import under the File Menu.
01-06-2012, 04:42 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Stone G.'s Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Zealand, Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,508
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Interesting, you got it to change the ISO from the computer? I can't get it to do so for the K-x. As for the occasional freeze during continuous shooting mode - I had the same problem on my laptop but when I tried it on my desktop with a quad processor and 3x the RAM it worked like a charm.
Yep, I did. I seems quite obvious from what I have read so far in this thread and elsewhere that different models behave somewhat differently with this (beta) version. Whether this is a matter of firmware in the camera(s) or some more fundmental differences in design I cannot say.
01-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Stone G.'s Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Zealand, Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,508
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Interesting, you got it to change the ISO from the computer? I can't get it to do so for the K-x. As for the occasional freeze during continuous shooting mode - I had the same problem on my laptop but when I tried it on my desktop with a quad processor and 3x the RAM it worked like a charm.
So, here is "proof of evidence" in the format of screendumps from my little netbook that ISO control from the PC works with a K200D.

First 2 in manual mode at ISO 1600 and 100 respectively and then one in Program mode at ISO 1000 - just to show that it works in other modes than M also.

Also, note the use of the slider (as pointed out by bdparker) to zoom-in on the preview image.
Attached Images
     
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
blog, bulb, camera, download, dslr, mode, photography, pk_tether, software, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-5 and PK_Tether, it works! David Pentax K-5 21 11-25-2011 03:11 PM
Equivalent to PK_Tether on Mac ducdao Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 11-17-2011 07:43 PM
PK_Tether DaveHolmes Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 2 06-28-2011 04:40 PM
M42 Super Takumar 135/3.5 version 1 vs. version 2 raymeedc Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 12-24-2009 11:49 AM
Which sandisk Extreme III sd card for K-7? The 133x version or 200x version? raider Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 11-30-2009 02:30 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:04 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top