01-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice...thanks for sharing

01-03-2012, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Thanks dbparker for alerting us.

I got a small netbook (WIN 7 Starter OS) for Christmas which I intended to use with PK_Tether for field-use (mostly astrophotography) so, the appearance of version 0.6.0 was for me very timely indeed. My findings after a quick run with my K200D:

P, Sv, Tv, Av, M work almost flawlessly - as they ought to, since they also did (on my K200D) in version 0.4.5. This also includes changing ISO, self-timer settings and mirror lock-up from the computer. I cannot use bracketing and I haven't tried Hi and Lo continous shooting yet.

The bulb-mode features in version 0.6.0 are a major improvement. As well the timer (now allowing for more than 30s settings) as the "no need to hold the shutter down manually feature" seem to work excellently.

The period shooting feature is still rather unreliable (and unpredictable) causing my K200D to freeze at a number of settings.

The buffer still only allows for two pictures at a time unless I use "autosave".

But with the 2s mirror-lock up and the improved bulb features I pretty much have what I need most for astrophotography. Well done Tomasz Kos!
01-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I tried it out, and it works better than the older version with my K-5, but it flashes the top screen constantly while the app is open.

After a few minutes and several test shots, it froze my camera. I had to take the battery out to reset it. It wouldn't respond to any buttons or switches.
01-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
.... but it flashes the top screen constantly while the app is open.....
This happens on both K-7 and K-5, you need to turn it off in the user settings, as in privous versions.

01-04-2012, 04:22 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
I tried it out, and it works better than the older version with my K-5, but it flashes the top screen constantly while the app is open.

After a few minutes and several test shots, it froze my camera. I had to take the battery out to reset it. It wouldn't respond to any buttons or switches.
I had that exact same thing happening twice before I gave up ( Using a K5 with latest FW)

Would it be possible to get liveview in the preview window at least while focusing?
Another thing that would be nice is to change focus point from the tether app.
01-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #21
Forum Member

hi guys, i tried this pk tether on my pentax k-x, it works well, but is there a zoom functions of images taken? it seems not useful for studio shot if there is no zoom functions, as one of the reason to get it preview on computer is to check the focus.
01-05-2012, 12:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had PK Teather and Lightroom running when I tried. PK Tether to transfer from camera to PC and Lightroom to auto import from the transferred folder.

You could use any image viewing app that supports RAW, to evaluate. It's not a big deal IMO.

01-05-2012, 02:13 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Agree with Zafar Iqbal - I use the browser in the Pentax Digital Camera Utility. Note also, that in the PK_Tether menu, there is a Full-Screen Preview option.
01-05-2012, 02:28 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkang Quote
hi guys, i tried this pk tether on my pentax k-x, it works well, but is there a zoom functions of images taken? it seems not useful for studio shot if there is no zoom functions, as one of the reason to get it preview on computer is to check the focus.
There is actualy, look a the slide switch just about the shutter button?
01-05-2012, 02:35 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Tomasz does it again! Thanks for this update! (Now I wish the Bojidar Dimitrov site also gets an update....)
01-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Thanks dbparker for alerting us.

I got a small netbook (WIN 7 Starter OS) for Christmas which I intended to use with PK_Tether for field-use (mostly astrophotography) so, the appearance of version 0.6.0 was for me very timely indeed. My findings after a quick run with my K200D:

P, Sv, Tv, Av, M work almost flawlessly - as they ought to, since they also did (on my K200D) in version 0.4.5. This also includes changing ISO, self-timer settings and mirror lock-up from the computer. I cannot use bracketing and I haven't tried Hi and Lo continous shooting yet.

The bulb-mode features in version 0.6.0 are a major improvement. As well the timer (now allowing for more than 30s settings) as the "no need to hold the shutter down manually feature" seem to work excellently.

The period shooting feature is still rather unreliable (and unpredictable) causing my K200D to freeze at a number of settings.

The buffer still only allows for two pictures at a time unless I use "autosave".

But with the 2s mirror-lock up and the improved bulb features I pretty much have what I need most for astrophotography. Well done Tomasz Kos!
Interesting, you got it to change the ISO from the computer? I can't get it to do so for the K-x. As for the occasional freeze during continuous shooting mode - I had the same problem on my laptop but when I tried it on my desktop with a quad processor and 3x the RAM it worked like a charm.
01-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #27
Forum Member

So it is good it can be integrated with lightroom, I read about lightroom only support tethering with nikon and canon camera.

I will try out lightroom with it, does it needs to do some set up? what i wish is I can immediately zoom in to check for focus once a picture is taken.

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I had PK Teather and Lightroom running when I tried. PK Tether to transfer from camera to PC and Lightroom to auto import from the transferred folder.

You could use any image viewing app that supports RAW, to evaluate. It's not a big deal IMO.
01-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkang Quote
So it is good it can be integrated with lightroom, I read about lightroom only support tethering with nikon and canon camera.

I will try out lightroom with it, does it needs to do some set up? what i wish is I can immediately zoom in to check for focus once a picture is taken.
The Nikon/Canon (or other cameras that support real tethering) tethering is a feature of version 3.x of LR. What you are looking for is Auto Import under the File Menu.
01-06-2012, 04:42 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Interesting, you got it to change the ISO from the computer? I can't get it to do so for the K-x. As for the occasional freeze during continuous shooting mode - I had the same problem on my laptop but when I tried it on my desktop with a quad processor and 3x the RAM it worked like a charm.
Yep, I did. I seems quite obvious from what I have read so far in this thread and elsewhere that different models behave somewhat differently with this (beta) version. Whether this is a matter of firmware in the camera(s) or some more fundmental differences in design I cannot say.
01-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
So, here is "proof of evidence" in the format of screendumps from my little netbook that ISO control from the PC works with a K200D.

First 2 in manual mode at ISO 1600 and 100 respectively and then one in Program mode at ISO 1000 - just to show that it works in other modes than M also.

Also, note the use of the slider (as pointed out by bdparker) to zoom-in on the preview image.
Attached Images