Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2007, 02:35 PM   #16

Original Poster
The dilemma is buy a Safe-Sync or just put that flash away for good, not usit with or without Safe-Sync of course.

By the way anyone knows if there a list of K***D compatible flasehs out in the Internet?

12-26-2007, 02:57 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Snowcat Quote
Of course AF360/540 is the best case. But I don't think I can afford it now and will not be able to get it for quite a long time, because flash goes after two not-so-cheap lenses in my wishlist.
So I was especially happy to discover this flash, kinda like free gift to use while I don't have a modern one
You could get an old model of Pentax flash or Nikon SB-2XX, or other models with 'A' mode, they are not expensive. I use a Nikon SB-22s (~$30-40 dollars) with good results. I am still struggling with 360's p-TTL mode, it gives me under-exposure most of time.
12-26-2007, 03:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have yet to purchase a flash specifically for my K10D. I'm apprehensive about paying almost as much on a flash as the body, especially given the P-TTL problems (perceived or otherwise) reported on various forums. So, my plan right now is to use my existing two Canon 300TL flash guns (GN 114/28), set to Manual, mounted on a Manfrotto two-arm macro flash bracket, using a pair of RF triggers. Then I plan of picking up a Vivitar 285HV (GN 120) for distance. I have no problem shooting manual, or using '70's auto thyristor technology...at least I know it works.
12-26-2007, 04:02 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
... , especially given the P-TTL problems (perceived or otherwise) reported on various forums. ...
I use 360's 'A' mode that produces better results than P-TTL mode.

12-26-2007, 06:23 PM   #20
Inactive Account

I have a Sunpak auto130 (200 volts according to that page) and i have used it on following cameras: Chinon CE-4, Chinon CM-4, Canon EOS 5000, Canon EOS 300, Canon EOS 300D, Canon EOS 350D, Canon EOS 400D and Pentax K10D. No hickups with any camera.

I think this flash voltage thing is a perfect example of FUD (fear, unceartinty and doubt). They simply want to sell new flashes and make use of a little "nightmare" that is hard for the customer to check. A very "good" and time tested sales technique. - Buy new from us, buy approved things. If you use odd and/or old stuff you are on your own dark and scary path where you wont get any help if you get into troubble. - Very effective, it works allmost every time. I would not even be supprised if that scary flash-voltage-page was sponsored by Canon or some "approved" third party flash maker.

I have never ever heard of any one, not even rumors, that any camera what so ever have been broken by a flash, never. Have any of you? And you can belive that if had happen, it would be all over the net about it, in detail.
12-26-2007, 08:27 PM   #21
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kiss, For the small price of a Safe Sync, why take the chance? I've seen the burnt contacts on a Pentax at my local repair shop. He had a K100D on the bench for repair that had been used extensively with a 175v Starblitz. I've used this repair shop for over 20 years and will stick to his recommendations.
12-26-2007, 08:56 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that I also use an old Starblitz Ring Flash via a hot shoe sync adapter. Flash is attached to a Tamron 90mm DI Macro. Any problems foreseen????

Ta

David
12-27-2007, 12:53 AM   #23

Original Poster
Kiss, maybe you are correct about FUD... I am an IT man, and I know that such things are used, and used widely in the world of computers. Especially by Microsoft. I see Canon as something like Microsoft in the world of photo. That page about safe flashes with Canons, right?
Still cannot find anything like that about Pentax...

And one more thing... If you take seomthing that should work with 10-20 Volts and run 200V through it even for a short period of time, EVERYTHING, every resistor, every wire will burn. No chanses that this will not happen. So how can it be that hotshoe can handle SOME of the shots and will burn if you use old flash extecively? Hmm strange...

Last edited by Snowcat; 12-27-2007 at 01:07 AM.
12-27-2007, 01:55 AM   #24

Original Poster
I did some net-digging on this matter… Making no conclusions, presenting just wjat I have found…

A lot of mentions that people use old flashes, and it is ok. Old flashes with high trigger voltage up to 240-250V.

A lot of mentions that people used old flashes, then measured their voltage and then bought a new flash. No damage done by an old one, they just got frightened that is CAN happen.

Found some Canon’s representatives replies on that matter. They all like this:
“We do not recommend nor do we support the use of the A series Speedlite
flashes with the EOS Digital SLR cameras. We guarantee compatibility
with EX series flashes. Enjoy!
Thank you for choosing Canon.”
Nothing like “this will permanently damage your camera”…

Some mentions of Nikon representatives say that all up to 250V is ok.

Found this about Pentax: “Pentax, in reply to an inquiry I made directly to them last year, says their SLRs are safe up to 600 volts”

Also found a mention about a person who burnt TWO pentaxes with a flash which had only 13V trigger voltage.

Hope that helps
12-27-2007, 04:39 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Just think of the stupidity by camera makers if they did not think a moment about all those old flashes. They must have known about them, they also know that they fit the hot shoe. If you where a camera maker, how would you think about it? If the old flash fit, you can be damn shure someone will use that old flash, to think anything else would be downright ignorant to the facts. Have you bought a camera made by stupids? Of course not. So, either they are quite sure the camera can tolerate the voltage or they would have done the hot shoe incompatible. Well.. they did not make a new kind of hot shoe, and they did not put any warning signs on the cameras, not even warnings in the manuals. But now we have sales people doing "recommendations" - go figure.

But if you turn it around. Why does not the manual say that the camera can use any kind of flash? The answer is simple, it is impossible to guarantee every damn flash out there. Old flashes could be broken or even short circuted putting out 10000 volts or even more. No maker could leave that kind of guarantee. So, the salesman do not lie, he just recommend the safe bet.
12-27-2007, 05:03 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All these IT guys! Okay, that's what I do now, but before...I spent 20 or so years in metrology (electronics calibration) as a EET, where we would fix and adjust most anything under the sun. I dealt with everything from decades old vacuum tubes to bleeding-edge CMOS, PMOS, and NMOS arrays.

The problem of switching a too-high voltage is that you can indeed damage the contacts. Just like any other switch used beyond its specifications, it likely would not fail immediately. Switches are spec'd for a given current and voltage. Obviously, too high a current flow through a device turns it into a fuse but why should we care about voltage?

The higher the switched voltage, the greater the generated spark as the contacts open and close (old-timers might remember using a "points file," to clean automotive distributor points; same thing). A switch rated for 36 VDC (for instance) is going to have thicker contacts than one rated for 5VDC. At excessive voltages, eventually the spark burns through, or builds up enough carbon to affect the reliability. This is what is happening if "way the flash was fired was no different from years ago," as stated in this thread; its going to have a small mechanical contact switch.

But the rest of the camera is NOT the same as years ago, is it? Pentax has stated that the K10D is the first camera to utilize DDR2 RAM. That means 3.3VDC chips, IIRC. You guys are welcome to run 250VDC+ millimeters away from your FBGA chips; I'm not.

All we can do on these forums is try to share info we've acquired over the years. Some might believe that all the information on teh interwebs is conspiracy (and you're not paranoid if they really are out to get you), but I can assure you, the physics is this case are completely plausible.

Now, what you do with the above information is, of course, entirely up to you (and your service technician).

Last edited by Duck Dodgers; 12-27-2007 at 05:05 AM. Reason: speeling
12-30-2007, 04:21 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Flash compatablity

I have an old 65 Metz flashgun that I use on my K10d with a wein protector fitted onto the hotshoe of the camera which reduces the voltage down to a safe level. Iv used other guns with no problems

Bobartex