Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2012, 04:42 PM - 17 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds - A Handheld Stabilization Guide

Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds - A Handheld Stabilization Guide

I've updated the review to include photos that actually populate! I understand it was an issue and I had been meaning to get to it, but with Adam's permission I re-accessed the article submission system, re-uploaded every image, and I can now personally guarantee that every image will (not should....will) work for you

Thanks again for all you very kind words and the support on this project.

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 05-31-2013 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Updated with Article Link
01-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, the human-stability tricks are breath control, bracing, elbows in, make the body a tripod, sight alignment, etc. Also, abstain from tobacco, alcohol, caffeine, even milk -- lactic acid affects the eyes. So I was taught when on a US Army .45 ACP match team, oh so long ago, and it all proved true. Ah yes, the Zen of .45 marksmanship...

Now we also have operational aids. Use a shorter lens; boost ISO; switch SR on; and monopods DO help. There's a simple trick for the last: Get a 1/4in bolt, a fat washer, and a length of nylon twine. Tie one end of the twine around the washer, the other around the bolt. Set the bolt into the camera's tripod socket. When stabilization is needed, drop the washer and stomp on it, pulling the twine taut. This can significantly reduce handheld twitching.

As we used to say in the 1st Inf Div: If ya gotta HAVE one, have a big RED one! But I digress...
01-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Also, abstain from tobacco, alcohol, caffeine, even milk -- lactic acid affects the eyes.
Jeez, it's a miracle I don't miss the toilet bowl by a mile. My eyes are quadruply screwed.
01-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
Jeez, it's a miracle I don't miss the toilet bowl by a mile. My eyes are quadruply screwed.
It probably only matters if you're aiming at a fast-moving scorpion or something.

01-06-2012, 04:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Nice work.
01-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This should be an official article. Very useful stuff here. Yes, firearms training DOES help (US Army, 1969-72). Thanks for writing this up.
01-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome Heie. What a great way to join into the forum. If you haven't thought about, consider doing this: 2011 Holiday Giveaway - Write Your Article - PentaxForums.com

01-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the praise. If only I had other expertise to offer to write more articles

QuoteOriginally posted by EyeSpy Quote
Welcome Heie. What a great way to join into the forum. If you haven't thought about, consider doing this: 2011 Holiday Giveaway - Write Your Article - PentaxForums.com
Wow I didn't even know that existed. Can any mods/admins chime in on whether I can submit this same article? I will go through and edit it and try to further develop my points as I see possible so it won't be a complete copy and paste job (but the vast majority of it will remain unchanged). It was written solely under the pretext of providing information, and it was originally submitted at the above date both here and at DPReview with no assistance to me during it's writing and research (other than marksmanship manuals, of course).

Again, thank you all for the warm welcome to PF!

-Heie
01-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice work.

Here is a little extra tip.
You need software that can stack photos in a smart way though.
But you can shoot several shots at high ISO to keep the shutterspeed and therefore your own movement in the photo to a minimum per photo.
The trick is that the noise is random so if you've 3 or 4 photos that are decently sharp you can make an average out of them and filter out the noise.
I've done this with the K10D at ISO 1600 but now with the Kx, Kr and the K5 you should easily do that with ISO 64.000 if not higher and get the same effect.
01-07-2012, 03:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You may be able to use a faster shutter speed if you take the lens cap off

But seriously this is a nice article and helpful for even more experienced photographers.
Thanks
01-07-2012, 04:28 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I never thought of articulating like you did, but it seemed intuitive to me. The only detail I did not know and do was the hand oriented along the lens. I attach one of my Christmas Day church pictures: Rubinar 1000/10, ISO3200, 1/15sec, handheld, while sitting. I got others, but the people are recognisable, so not for public sharing. I was quite pleased for a 2.5kg lens. It was also a struggle to focus accurately.
Attached Images

01-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Nice post. Thanks @Heie. I can use this advise as I practice mastering shooting with my LittleBigma 170-500.

Perhaps should be in "Photographic Technique" rather than "Pentax DSLR Discussion"..??
01-07-2012, 05:45 AM   #13

Excellent advice but you've left one thing out. That is that i'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see your Vatican results.

BFN
David
01-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Allow me to offer a military approach to camera shooting that I can attribute only to extensive marksmanship training.
Excellent article. Liked. Great selection of positions.

I wish I saw this earlier on - I learned to brace myself from lots of misses and from watching the increasingly realistic war movies and video games There was even a video game (Sniper Elite) where you could hold your breath a few seconds when sniping.

BTW, did you shoot the images all by yourself using a timed release or did someone else take them?

QuoteOriginally posted by Anton Magus Quote
You may be able to use a faster shutter speed if you take the lens cap off
I thought that was funny too.
01-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a great article. Thanks, Heie!

I too would like to see the pics from the Vatican, if you care to share them. Or anything else you've shot.
Thanks again.