Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What do we want from Pentax?
Full Frame 14058.58%
Full Frame 8033.47%
Full Frame 5824.27%
APS-H 177.11%
APS-H 31.26%
APS-H 10.42%
APS-C *Only*, no FF or APS-H 239.62%
APS-C *Only*, no FF or APS-H 125.02%
APS-C *Only*, no FF or APS-H 93.77%
Continuation of the K mount 18677.82%
Continuation of the K mount 11146.44%
Continuation of the K mount 7330.54%
Discontiunation of the K mount for a shorter registration distance 104.18%
Discontiunation of the K mount for a shorter registration distance 52.09%
Discontiunation of the K mount for a shorter registration distance 20.84%
Electrical viewfinder and removal of the mirror 2811.72%
Electrical viewfinder and removal of the mirror 72.93%
Electrical viewfinder and removal of the mirror 31.26%
Optical viewfinder, continued mirror 10242.68%
Optical viewfinder, continued mirror 3414.23%
Optical viewfinder, continued mirror 218.79%
Faster / Predictive Autofocus 15464.44%
Faster / Predictive Autofocus 7531.38%
Faster / Predictive Autofocus 3815.90%
Smaller camera bodies and lenses 3012.55%
Smaller camera bodies and lenses 41.67%
Smaller camera bodies and lenses 31.26%
Super telephoto options, 400mm and above 6426.78%
Super telephoto options, 400mm and above 2410.04%
Super telephoto options, 400mm and above 156.28%
Less expensive gear 4719.67%
Less expensive gear 114.60%
Less expensive gear 104.18%
Leaf shutter 62.51%
Leaf shutter   00%
Leaf shutter 10.42%
Electronic shutter 135.44%
Electronic shutter 20.84%
Electronic shutter 20.84%
Improved video support and controls 5322.18%
Improved video support and controls 135.44%
Improved video support and controls 83.35%
Improved flash sync speed 6928.87%
Improved flash sync speed 125.02%
Improved flash sync speed 52.09%
Improved wireless flash support 3815.90%
Improved wireless flash support 114.60%
Improved wireless flash support 62.51%
Uncrippled K mount for M and K series lenses 8937.24%
Uncrippled K mount for M and K series lenses 2711.30%
Uncrippled K mount for M and K series lenses 145.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #61
Forum Member

Not voting, but the K5 does just about everything. The resolution is already as good or better than any lens/situation in the real world, the autofocus could always be improved but it's good enough, low light sensitivity is a superb (but can always be improved, FF would mean more size so that's out. The only real beef? The bloody start-up screen - just ditch it guys and start the damn camera... (waits for someone to point out that it can be disabled...).

01-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You know all of this Keep the K mount, get rid of the K mount, Make two different mounts and increase the number of lenses, blah, blah, blah, doesn't mean a thing until Pentax puts the sales reps on the street and gets the cameras and lenses back into the local stores.

Nothing gets my goat more then going into a local camera shop and walk out with a used Pentax lens or a aftermarket lens with a K mount in a Canon or Nikon marked bag.
01-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
I couldn't agree less, but I admire you for putting it out there.
Like Austin Powers, I also like to live dangerously!

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Brave man! How, if I may ask, do you think the K-mount is holding them back? Registration distance? Contacts?
Two reasons: I'd like to see a mount with shorter registration distance and a lens line designed for such shorter registration distance. And mount diameter sounds like a limiting factor too - wasn't there talk that you cannot build lenses faster than f/1.2 for K mount? Why not have f/1.0 or f/0.95 designs like the Leica M mount allows?

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Without backwards compatibility, there is no future for the equipment you buy.
Sure there is. I can use all my K mount lenses on my Olympus E-PL2 camera already. And I only intend to buy one more lens for K mount anyway.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
even Canon couldn't pull off that kind of a stunt without having even more people switch to Nikon.
...and without gaining the lion's share of the market in the process.
01-05-2012, 01:02 AM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Sure there is. I can use all my K mount lenses on my Olympus E-PL2 camera already.
Then why buy Pentax at all? See, losing K-mount = death of Pentax.

We don't care about the camerabodies. We trade them in every 2 years, or even quicker perhaps. We love the glass though. Pentax needs to improve their lens lineup, so people are going to want to buy bodies that attach to those beautifull lenses.

About mirrorless...
There has only been 1 single communication from Pentax about their future lineup. All the rest have been just rumors. In that 1 communication they stated to go towards a more professional and advanced amateur direction. And pro's are not going to switch to mirrorless any time soon.

01-05-2012, 03:21 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Then why buy Pentax at all?
Let me know when you find the answer.

And pro's are not going to switch to mirrorless any time soon.
Some are pretty enthusiastic:

DSLRs are a dying breed – 3rd Gen Cameras are the Future
01-05-2012, 04:08 AM   #66
Forum Member

Mount diameter sounds like a limiting factor too - wasn't there talk that you cannot build lenses faster than f/1.2 for K mount? Why not have f/1.0 or f/0.95 designs like the Leica M mount allows?

I seem to remember they said the same about the old M42 screw mount - that a wider throat was needed for lenses faster than f1.4 - but Chinon still produced an f1.2 in that fit. The Canon 7 had the option of an f0.95 'Dream' lens which attached to a special external bayonet flange around its M39 screw throat. So is it really necessary to abandon the K-mount to get an f0.95 - assuming anyone wants or can afford one?
01-05-2012, 04:15 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Let me know when you find the answer.
It was retorical.

Pentax has 1 big fat strong point: the K-mount with the 100% backwards compatibility. Other brands are known for changing mounts, probably to force their customers to changes complete gears. Guaranteeing them more sales in a very sneaky way. (Of course they make up other reasons.) Lots of people choose Pentax solely for the knowledge that such a thing won't happen to them. It's only one advantage (but a big one) that Pentax has over the other brands.

Killing that automatically means killing Pentax. If you're after that, then what are you doing here at all?

Even when going mirrorless keeping the K-mount would have a huge advantage, which would also be in line with Pentaxes backwards compatiblity. A moving sensor would enable a kind of AF for manual lenses. In future Pentax could be the only brand allowing to slap on very old lenses, whilst retaining both SR and AF. Moreover, via adapter it would enable the Pentax body to use any other competitor's lens.
01-05-2012, 04:18 AM   #68
Pentaxian

and without gaining the lion's share of the market in the process.
you mean losing the lions share of the market.
QuoteOriginally posted by unfocused Quote
I seem to remember they said the same about the old M42 screw mount - that a wider throat was needed for lenses faster than f1.4 - but Chinon still produced an f1.2 in that fit. The Canon 7 had the option of an f0.95 'Dream' lens which attached to a special external bayonet flange around its M39 screw throat. So is it really necessary to abandon the K-mount to get an f0.95 - assuming anyone wants or can afford one?
I'll remind you that the optically speaking the Canon 50mm f/0.95 isn't anything special, compared to the "classic" 50mm f/1.0 noctilux or the current Leica M 50mm f/0.95 noctilux.

01-05-2012, 04:26 AM   #69
Forum Member

In the 70's the fastest film on the planet was 500 ASA and that was grainy as hell. Do we really need massive, heavy and vulnerable F.1.0 lenses when we can happily use 1600+ ASA?
01-05-2012, 05:34 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Two reasons: I'd like to see a mount with shorter registration distance and a lens line designed for such shorter registration distance. And mount diameter sounds like a limiting factor too - wasn't there talk that you cannot build lenses faster than f/1.2 for K mount? Why not have f/1.0 or f/0.95 designs like the Leica M mount allows?
Slightly lighter/smaller lenses and hypothetically gaining only a half an f-stop (if they made such a lens in the first place, and if you could afford to buy it) especially considering the excellent high ISO performance of modern DSLRs are not compelling reasons to ditch the K-mount, IMO.

I think such a boneheaded move would cost Pentax a lot more customers than it would gain.
01-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #71
Veteran Member

you mean losing the lions share of the market.
Is that where Canon is these days?

I'll remind you that the optically speaking the Canon 50mm f/0.95 isn't anything special, compared to the "classic" 50mm f/1.0 noctilux or the current Leica M 50mm f/0.95 noctilux.
Didn't I also mention the Leica lenses?

For other replies: whether you need f/0.95 lenses or not is not the point. This is a poll and I casted my vote. I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but I remind you that the lens speed is one aspect. The other one is the shorter registration distance and what it can do for wide angle lens design. Here's a relevant snippet from wikipedia's article on rangefinders:

"The lack of a mirror allows the rear element of lenses to project deep into the camera body, making high-quality wide-angle lenses easier to design. The Voigtländer 12mm lens was the widest-angle rectilinear lens in general production for a long time, with a 121 degree angle of view; only recently have comparable SLR lenses entered the market."
01-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How 'bout a retro (D)MX body with a KX sensor and just enough processing power to store RAW files for fixin' in the PP phase? Or a K1000 if you insist. AAA-class lithium batteries in the film well(s). Micro-SD chips.

And NO #$%$# flash bump to get in the way or AF faults to whine about.

Imagine what would happen to the value of your M- and A-class glass and pancakes.

They MAY use composite tops an' bottoms though -- those little dents in the thin metal look SO tacky.

H2
01-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #73
Pentaxian

I would like an all mechanical DSLR with no batteries.
01-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #74
Site Supporter

Canon will be a looser in this competition, no understanding of moving trends.
Nikon is more involved on the trends, I hope Pentax will also be, like Sony.
01-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #75
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
How 'bout a retro (D)MX body with a KX sensor and just enough processing power to store RAW files for fixin' in the PP phase? Or a K1000 if you insist. AAA-class lithium batteries in the film well(s). Micro-SD chips.

And NO #$%$# flash bump to get in the way or AF faults to whine about.

Imagine what would happen to the value of your M- and A-class glass and pancakes.

They MAY use composite tops an' bottoms though -- those little dents in the thin metal look SO tacky.

H2
The MX has a removable back - just make a digital full-frame back for it. I'd swap my K5 for one in a heartbeat...

We can dream...