Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What do we want from Pentax?
Full Frame 14058.58%
Full Frame 8033.47%
Full Frame 5824.27%
APS-H 177.11%
APS-H 31.26%
APS-H 10.42%
APS-C *Only*, no FF or APS-H 239.62%
APS-C *Only*, no FF or APS-H 125.02%
APS-C *Only*, no FF or APS-H 93.77%
Continuation of the K mount 18677.82%
Continuation of the K mount 11146.44%
Continuation of the K mount 7330.54%
Discontiunation of the K mount for a shorter registration distance 104.18%
Discontiunation of the K mount for a shorter registration distance 52.09%
Discontiunation of the K mount for a shorter registration distance 20.84%
Electrical viewfinder and removal of the mirror 2811.72%
Electrical viewfinder and removal of the mirror 72.93%
Electrical viewfinder and removal of the mirror 31.26%
Optical viewfinder, continued mirror 10242.68%
Optical viewfinder, continued mirror 3414.23%
Optical viewfinder, continued mirror 218.79%
Faster / Predictive Autofocus 15464.44%
Faster / Predictive Autofocus 7531.38%
Faster / Predictive Autofocus 3815.90%
Smaller camera bodies and lenses 3012.55%
Smaller camera bodies and lenses 41.67%
Smaller camera bodies and lenses 31.26%
Super telephoto options, 400mm and above 6426.78%
Super telephoto options, 400mm and above 2410.04%
Super telephoto options, 400mm and above 156.28%
Less expensive gear 4719.67%
Less expensive gear 114.60%
Less expensive gear 104.18%
Leaf shutter 62.51%
Leaf shutter   00%
Leaf shutter 10.42%
Electronic shutter 135.44%
Electronic shutter 20.84%
Electronic shutter 20.84%
Improved video support and controls 5322.18%
Improved video support and controls 135.44%
Improved video support and controls 83.35%
Improved flash sync speed 6928.87%
Improved flash sync speed 125.02%
Improved flash sync speed 52.09%
Improved wireless flash support 3815.90%
Improved wireless flash support 114.60%
Improved wireless flash support 62.51%
Uncrippled K mount for M and K series lenses 8937.24%
Uncrippled K mount for M and K series lenses 2711.30%
Uncrippled K mount for M and K series lenses 145.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
3 votes for discontinuing K mount. It's time to move on. I'd like to see what they can do without the burden of backward compatibility.
I couldn't agree less, but I admire you for putting it out there.

01-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Nice poll! Would have loved to see some demographics questions though. Such as: "How many full frame Pentax lenses do you own?"
01-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A self-selecting poll like this is fun, but I don't think it really provides any useful data except "People who want full frame want full frame."
01-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #34

I think most of the Pentax lenses are of FF type, I believe no one throw them away

01-03-2012, 01:30 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Without backwards compatibility, there is no future for the equipment you buy. Its the main reason for lots of people to buy Pentax. You know you're not going to have to switch ALL your gear at any time. Lenses are future-proof. I'm not going to save up for quality glass if I know it's only temporarily.

Why-o-why would a company with such a huge advantage offer that up? It would be the Pentax auto-destruct-sequence. Once they abandon K-mount, all hope is lost.
01-03-2012, 01:33 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
3 votes for discontinuing K mount. It's time to move on. I'd like to see what they can do without the burden of backward compatibility.
+1 to this. Voted for the discontinuation too, though hoping that will also mean an adapter with AF and AV link for legacy K-mount.

The NEX line has sparked the interest of many folks (esp. RF users) for its ability to use all sorts of lenses and very good, small and (sometimes over-rated ) RF ones.
Pentax has the chance to expand the user base fast and big with a mount that can use RF lenses and any lenses with flange distance longer than that. (can ignore the NEX lenses with a shorter flange distance )
A K-mount adapter for such a camera will help ease the pain of course.

Yes, not everyone will be happy, but too many folks who want a K-mount continuation are not active buyers of K-mount lenses anyway (most are interested in legacy support for their old MF lenses and seldom buy anything new); plus there can be an adapter so its not the end of the world.
Pentax does not get much financial benefit for these users.

At least with a suddenly exploded user base with a camera that can make use of any lens (including K-mount); the much larger user base will always have ppl who will buy into a few Pentax lenses here and there. The bigger snowball can then move on from there with a bigger momentum.

Just in case someone comes up with a "There is the NEX for you", here's why I prefer Pentax :
1. Poor opinion of Sony (always trying to sneak in proprietary stuff; they are pretty screwed on many consumer electronics fronts because of this, but don't seem to realize it yet) Ok, I like my PS1;2 and 3
2. Lousy native lenses; the only good one (perhaps) isn't cheap at all compared to what Pentax sells their good lenses for.
3. Wrong form factor
4. Pentax makes nice and generally small lenses and I believe this will continue with a new mount.
5. I like Pentax approach to SLRs and DSLRs so far.

So for me :
FF;
Discontinue K-mount (but with adapter);
Better AF;
Uncrippled K-mount;
MILC
Faster flash sync
Smaller camera (wrt K5; but no smaller than maybe ME Super)

Before someone says I can easily say this since I have few lenses; I do have more than 20 and quite a few $X,XXX in Pentax stuff.
Things just need to move forward (less pain with an adapter of course)

Last edited by pinholecam; 01-03-2012 at 02:10 AM.
01-03-2012, 03:07 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
+1 to this. Voted for the discontinuation too, though hoping that will also mean an adapter with AF and AV link for legacy K-mount.

The NEX line has sparked the interest of many folks (esp. RF users) for its ability to use all sorts of lenses and very good, small and (sometimes over-rated ) RF ones.
Pentax has the chance to expand the user base fast and big with a mount that can use RF lenses and any lenses with flange distance longer than that. (can ignore the NEX lenses with a shorter flange distance )
A K-mount adapter for such a camera will help ease the pain of course.

Yes, not everyone will be happy, but too many folks who want a K-mount continuation are not active buyers of K-mount lenses anyway (most are interested in legacy support for their old MF lenses and seldom buy anything new); plus there can be an adapter so its not the end of the world.

At least with a suddenly exploded user base with a camera that can make use of any lens (including K-mount); the much larger user base will always have ppl who will buy into a few Pentax lenses here and there. The bigger snowball can then move on from there with a bigger momentum.

Just in case someone comes up with a "There is the NEX for you", here's why I prefer Pentax :
1. Poor opinion of Sony (always trying to sneak in proprietary stuff; they are pretty screwed on many consumer electronics fronts because of this, but don't seem to realize it yet) Ok, I like my PS1;2 and 3
2. Lousy native lenses; the only good one (perhaps) isn't cheap at all compared to what Pentax sells their good lenses for.
3. Wrong form factor
4. Pentax makes nice and generally small lenses and I believe this will continue with a new mount.
5. I like Pentax approach to SLRs and DSLRs so far.

So for me :
FF;
Discontinue K-mount (but with adapter);
Better AF;
Uncrippled K-mount;
MILC
Faster flash sync
Smaller camera (wrt K5; but no smaller than maybe ME Super)

Before someone says I can easily say this since I have few lenses; I do have more than 20 and quite a few $X,XXX in Pentax stuff.
Things just need to move forward (less pain with an adapter of course)
I don't understand your logic. Most pentaxians that start with legacy glass also get FA's, DA's and DA*. We probably won't be able to find a single pentaxforummember that only shoots with old MF lenses.

Me for example. I "inherited" a huge load of primes with lots of zooms on the side. I should have been all set. All focal ranges were covered double over. Still I also get lots of new AF lenses. I think it is BECAUSE of the proven backwards compatibility that I feel safe to invest in new pentax lenses en bodies. It ties me to Pentax.

Why settle for using my prized lenses with a new body via a adapter??? Why would I then buy a Pentax body? I could just as wel get a body from a different brand and get the appropriate adapter. No reason to stay with Pentax anymore. But also no reason anymore to buy into Pentax.

See... It would be the death of the brand.

01-03-2012, 03:35 AM - 1 Like   #38
Forum Member

I'm with Aristophanese on this. The poll asks the wrong questions, so I won't be taking part. The desirability of FF depends on size, weight and price. Pentax has come too far with APS-C to abandon it now although it still needs work to reduce size and weight and fill some lens gaps. Besides, it suits most purposes unless you're a wannabee pro. And what are we to do with all those APS-C lenses?

Another attractive option in my opinion would be an APS-C or 4/3 grown-up G12 with non-interchangeable zoom for travel. Follow the Fuji X-100 and top it.
01-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #39
Forum Member

I voted:
Full Frame x2
Discontiunation of the K mount
Continuation of the K mount (with af adaptor)
Electrical viewfinder and no mirror
Less expensive gear
Improved video support and controls
Improved flash sync speed
Uncrippled K mount

MILC would bring more advantages than disadvantages and would make a boom in the market if it were affordable and FF.
My next purchase will be a mirrorless I hope it will be a Pentax
01-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
A self-selecting poll like this is fun, but I don't think it really provides any useful data except "People who want full frame want full frame."
It also seems to say that Pentax K-mount users want to use Pentax K-mount cameras.

But I don't think supporting existing K-mount users will be Pentax biggest problem in the future. The problem will be expanding user base in a much more complex market than before.
01-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's interesting, I thought there would be a lot more interest in improved wireless flash support, because compared to Canon, and especially Nikon, the Pentax flash control system is anemic. I gave it two votes, and one to higher flash sync speed.

For those who have never messed around with it, Pentax supports channels as it is now, but not zones. Zones allow you to control multiple lights independently of one another. So you could control a key light, a background light, a fill light, and even a hair light all from the back of the camera. If the background has it's own zone for example, and you see it's too dark, you can bump it up from the camera position without affecting the key light. Channels are only useful for shooting events with other photographers when you don't want your flash to be accidentally triggered by another flash going off. There's no way to trigger multiple channels at once.

This tells me that most Pentax enthusiasts (assuming the initial results are representative) either shoot manual flash, one-light setups, or don't use flash much at all. As popular as "Strobist" lighting has become, it looks like it hasn't caught on here yet.
01-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I don't quite grasp how anyone would stick with a company as quirky as Pentax for any reason other than the awesome compatibility, no disrespect intended.
That's the big reason I went with Pentax. If the K-mount gets dropped, I'm moving to either Canon or Nikon. I suspect many others would do the same.

I'm also curious as to what advantage those wanting to kill off the K-mount for the NEX mount think they're getting with NEX lenses...

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 01-03-2012 at 08:28 AM.
01-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I cannot help myself but regard "Uncrippled K mount" as a pipe dream.

Any camera offering this would imply a surcharge equivalent to the projected new lens purchases lost. Only a very small number would buy a (non-MF) camera at such a price point.
Or maybe that much less expensive, because of the modern lenses they will also sell to this customer, who would not have bought any lenses at all without a camera that supports his old ones?

I don't have any data on how this tends to pan out, do you? (Except myself, I care about uncrippled mount quite a lot, and having it certainly wouldn't have stopped me from buying the DA*50-135 last year, or the FA31 and FA77 the year before that.)

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Same question, is this just something you think? I believe (also without any data to back it up) that they gain at least as much as they lose. Showing you care about your existing customers is never a bad thing in itself.
01-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #44

What I'd most like to see is a weather sealed normal prime to go with my K-5. Maybe an updated 28mm f/2.0?
01-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
But I don't think supporting existing K-mount users will be Pentax biggest problem in the future.
If they spurn us, the negative publicity will be their biggest problem in the future.

Last edited by Clinton; 01-03-2012 at 06:09 PM.