12-26-2007, 12:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Brother messes wiht my camera= Shutter lag problem

Hey,

Yesterday my brother asked me for my camera batteries so he can use
them for the Wii I said yes later I found out he also took pictures the problem
now is that my camera has a serious problem with shutter lag and only if
I press the button to the sides and stuff does it take a picture.
Any help is appreciated.

12-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Did he turn on the 2-sec mirror up? Go to the Fn Key and press the 4-way controller up to reset to normal shooting.
12-26-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
nope that is not the problem.
sometimes it doesn't even shoot.
i have to press it like 5 times.
he used it for a party his friends were having in my room
and his maybe a spill i know he wont tell me.
12-26-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I figured Ericc had the correct answer. You've gone into the menus and reset the camera? If so and the probem still persists. Then take out the battery and leave the camera over night. Any liquid could be causing an electrical short and wuld further damage the camera. In the morning put the battery in and try it once or twice to see if the camera works. If not remove the batteries and get it off to service. You should also have a close look at the battery compartment before you do anything more and see that it's dry and that the batteries are dry as well.
Any visible signs that it was dropped?

12-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I figured Ericc had the correct answer. You've gone into the menus and reset the camera? If so and the probem still persists. Then take out the battery and leave the camera over night. Any liquid could be causing an electrical short and wuld further damage the camera. In the morning put the battery in and try it once or twice to see if the camera works. If not remove the batteries and get it off to service. You should also have a close look at the battery compartment before you do anything more and see that it's dry and that the batteries are dry as well.
Any visible signs that it was dropped?
Ok so you want me to go into my menu and find something that says reset my camera,
I can do that. The batteries werent in the whole night already and if it was a electrical problem
like a spill I think it wouldnt turn on. I dont think it was dropped no scratches then again theres carpet in my room.
12-26-2007, 01:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey,

it seems to be working now after that I followed your helps and formatted my camera which i dont even know what that does. I did take out my memory card before i did it just in case.
now it works pretty much but i forget, how hard do you have to press your shutter for it to take a picture.
12-26-2007, 01:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It sets the camera back to its defaults. Some times things get bit wonky in these things, and a reset *usually* does the trick.

Not always but a cheap starting point.

Dave
12-26-2007, 01:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by NYpHoToGraphEr Quote
Hey,

it seems to be working now after that I followed your helps and formatted my camera which i dont even know what that does. I did take out my memory card before i did it just in case.
now it works pretty much but i forget, how hard do you have to press your shutter for it to take a picture.
Cool, As the above post says. These electronics can have "off" days and do weird things. As for shutter press, it's fairly light for focus (half press) and then about double for the shutter release. Hard to describe with a post though.

12-27-2007, 06:32 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ericc Quote
Did he turn on the 2-sec mirror up? Go to the Fn Key and press the 4-way controller up to reset to normal shooting.
My K1x0Ds forget 2 second delay after being power cycled, so that is not likely to be the problem. As someone who uses the 2 second mirror up delay a LOT it is a bit annoying for a camera that remembers almost all other settings.

Oddly, another Fn setting, Continuous, is retained after a power cycle.

I'm glad a total reset solved the problem.
12-28-2007, 07:32 AM   #10
Pentaxian

it almost sounds as if the camera was set to AF Sincle mode, where the shutter is interlocked with focus confirmation. check the front switch.
12-29-2007, 01:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

My first thought was to recommend laying a beating on him just out of general principles, but lacking any direct evidence of irresponsible mishandling of the camera it is sort of hard to justify that.

My second thought is to make him a present of a recharger and a set of Eneloops so you can justify never again loaning him your stuff and still look magnanimous. Maybe give him one of those disposable cameras too.