Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Did this some time ago.
Was taken from the imaging resource test photo, funny enough some pretended not to notice a difference ^^
It's probably the anti aliasing filter causing the difference.

Couldn't it just as easily be a very, very, slight difference in focus between the two shots?

It's hard to judge where the focal plane is in that shot since it's a 2-dimensional chart, but I know that on the still-life scene that Imaging Resource uses, I have observed slight differences in focus between cameras that make it impossible to accurately judge sharpness between two cameras. I remember once comparing two cameras, with the same sensor, but one appeared significantly sharper. I then noticed that on the softer image, there was a faint pencil mark visible on the wall behind the still-life scene. On the seemingly-sharper image, the pencil mark was not even visible, because the wall was not in perfect focus.

I still find these type of test shots to be useful, but I don't read too much into them these days since it's difficult to control every variable between shots, and the slightest of changes can have an effect.

01-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Even though I only use the center focus point, I sometimes find myself surprised by where that little red light shows up. I think I have the focus point set right, but the light pops on, and it's not in the center at all and I have to realign where I'm focusing.
That doesn't seem right to me. Can anybody else comment on whether anything other than the center point should light up when the camera is set to use only the center point?
01-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Couldn't it just as easily be a very, very, slight difference in focus between the two shots?
It would have an effect but doubt thats the case with these shots, the pattern look so good as the same accept in the center.
If the focus was off it would effect the whole pattern.
01-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
That doesn't seem right to me. Can anybody else comment on whether anything other than the center point should light up when the camera is set to use only the center point?
That's not what I'm saying. What happens is I find that what I think is the center of the viewfinder while I'm composing the shot actually isn't. The focus point lights up and that's when I realize I'm aiming a bit off. So I find the lights helpful.

01-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

That's not what I'm saying. What happens is I find that what I think is the center of the viewfinder while I'm composing the shot actually isn't. The focus point lights up and that's when I realize I'm aiming a bit off. So I find the lights helpful.
I know what you mean and it's exactly why I miss not having a visible focus point on the K-x
01-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I know what you mean and it's exactly why I miss not having a visible focus point on the K-x
Thanks, glad I am not the only one. Have you been able to adapt to not having the lights? I think I could, but it would be an adjustment.
01-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Thanks, glad I am not the only one. Have you been able to adapt to not having the lights? I think I could, but it would be an adjustment.
I am very happy with the K-x -
but I also miss the lights
especially in the dark when it hard to see the brackets in the viewfinder.

However my trick (after more than 44,000 shots) since I only use the center spot - is to imagine where the diagonals would cross in the viewfinder, and/or move the view so I can see the brackets then move that over the area I want to focus on......
and I shoot in such dark conditions sometimes it is below the metering and AF limits of the K-x.
(ref: Post #131 & #132 in Kx in Use ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page) )

This is not such a disadvantage that would cause me to have to change to a camera with lights in the finder.
01-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
However my trick
I have a fleck of grit or dust (crud of some description) just left and down from centre in my view finder which aids me in lowlight...

01-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
I am very happy with the K-x -
but I also miss the lights
especially in the dark when it hard to see the brackets in the viewfinder.

However my trick (after more than 44,000 shots) since I only use the center spot - is to imagine where the diagonals would cross in the viewfinder, and/or move the view so I can see the brackets then move that over the area I want to focus on......
and I shoot in such dark conditions sometimes it is below the metering and AF limits of the K-x.
(ref: Post #131 & #132 in Kx in Use ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page) )

This is not such a disadvantage that would cause me to have to change to a camera with lights in the finder.
Cool, there is always a way to work around these things. I think I am just lazy about it because I know the lights are there. LOL
08-23-2012, 11:18 PM - 1 Like   #25

Pentax Kx

QuoteOriginally posted by vapentaxuser Quote
Or does it seem like the K-x has better IQ overall than the K-r does? I know they have the same sensor but between the two it seems like the K-x resolves more detail than the K-r does in most instances.
Hello People, Just joined the forum and for sometime have been researching to get the Pentax Kx or the Kr. I came across a photographer who uses Pentax Kx and he has some stunning images posted on flickr.

Although what settings(HDR etc) he's used is not available, or that maybe I missed; for many of you that are leaning to the belief that Kx is in fact a fantastic introductory camera is displayed in the Mathew Courtney photos.

Photography is subjective and we all make decisions differently. Nevertheless we all enjoy something stunning and I hope this link provides you all something to think about, appreciate and what a stunning little devil the Kx can be. I hope I can get one before it runs out...Enjoy!

Flickr: Mathew Courtney's Photostream
08-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
And with its lack of visible focus points it's a good bloody job!!
If there was one thing I could change on the K-x it would be visible focus points... Whoever's bright idea it was to leave those out should be kicked repeatedly in the kneecaps and publicly flogged!
No, I agree. If it was not for the lack of those the K-x would be darned near perfect, IMHO.
08-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
If it was not for the lack of those the K-x would be darned near perfect, IMHO.
The biggest issue I have with the K-x is not the lack of illuminated focus points (which are just an annoying distraction mostly), but the loud shutter noise. The quiet K-5 shutter has spoiled me. But IQ wise, there isn't a massive difference between the K-5 and K-x most times. Pentax tweaked the K-x really well.
08-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I went from a K-x to a K-r. I haven't really noticed an appreciable difference in image quality.

I'm used to selecting my own AF points. With the K-x I found myself taking my eye away from the finder way too much in order to fiddle with AF points. The AF fine adjustment (yeah yeah I know the K-x can do this in debug mode) and nicer screen on the K-r are also very much appreciated.

Otherwise, I understand why folks want to stick with their K-x if you're not similarly annoyed by the things which led me to the K-r.
08-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I never change the AF point on my K20D or K-x. I use CF&R or manual focus, focus indicators matter not a whit to me. I compensated for the K-x's small OVF with a Pentax O-ME53 magnifier, which made a great deal of difference when using MF. The K-x is the second smallest DSLR ever made, which is pretty cool. The Oly E420 was smaller, but a big step down in IQ, and no IBIS.

Devorama posted some good K-x vs K-r ISO samples when the K-r was first released. There is no significant difference that I can see, which was a disappointment at the time. We had heard it was a new sensor, so everyone expected the K-r to have better IQ.
Pentax K-r Measurebation - a set on Flickr
08-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #30
Site Supporter

A bit off topic, but since I got a K-30, I have discovered switching AF points. It's so easy to do and would be just as easy with the K-r. I don't know why I didn't do it before. It is certainly useful in some situations, though I usually center focus and recompose. If I'm using a very large aperture, I now prefer to move the focus point to my subject and I find I usually get a sharper result. If I was in a hurry, I doubt I'd use this method, but it's very nice if you have time.