Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #1

Is it just me or does the K-x take better pics than the K-r?

Or does it seem like the K-x has better IQ overall than the K-r does? I know they have the same sensor but between the two it seems like the K-x resolves more detail than the K-r does in most instances.

01-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Might just be you- after all, it also depends on what custom image settings you're using if you're shooting JPGs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I second Adam on that. I have had a friend use my Kx in some of the auto and program modes becaue he did not knowhow to do thing manually, and then I did some pictures with the same camera and lens in manual mode and it looks like the pictures were taken by 2 DIFFERENT cameras! Setting play a huge difference in picture quality.
01-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vapentaxuser Quote
Or does it seem like the K-x has better IQ overall than the K-r does? I know they have the same sensor but between the two it seems like the K-x resolves more detail than the K-r does in most instances.
Kr use an updated sensor so it's slightly different and it looks like there is a different AA filter on it.
Imaging resource has some test photos up and one of them is a resolution chart, i lik the Kx better as well compared to the Kr when i look at those.

01-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Could be that the K-x being a bit older has been owned for longer and it's owners are a little more used to it than owners of K-r which is newer... Next year they'll be no contest as new owners catch up on skills...
01-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

DaveHolmes is 100% right that having a lot of experience with a camera can make a big difference to what comes out of it.

But the K-x has some special magic in it, even when using just the DAL kit lenses, I've found.
01-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
But the K-x has some special magic in it,
And with its lack of visible focus points it's a good bloody job!!
If there was one thing I could change on the K-x it would be visible focus points... Whoever's bright idea it was to leave those out should be kicked repeatedly in the kneecaps and publicly flogged!

01-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Ok... Maybe a bit harsh...
01-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What color are the camera bodies you're comparing? It's common knowledge that the white K-x/K-r's are superior to the other colors, so it could just be that you're comparing pictures from a white K-x to pictures from a black K-r.

01-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Ok... Maybe a bit harsh...
Maybe just a tad. Punishment beyond a simple public horsewhipping seldom yields any appreciable added benefit.

First thing I did on my cameras was to go menu diving and turn the damned focus point indicators OFF. I have never been able to understand why anybody would require more than one or why they would want those damned red idiot lights flashing in the screen.
01-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm going to say that the kx's anti aliasing filter is rather weak. I've had numerous shots where it was just terrible. This may be the double edged sword though as it should help keep micro contrast better.
01-05-2012, 12:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

First a disclosure: I own the K-x, and only have the two humble kit zoom lenses.

I like the pictures I get from the K-x (I'm on shot count 44,661).

Done a lot of comparisons from test pictures on the web from the well known testing sites -
and of all the cameras I covet:
Pentax K-5; Nikon D7000/D5100; Pentax K-r -
I have to say I have not found enough improvement in IQ, if any - to be able to justify changing to any of them.

This is not to say any of the IQ is inferior - it is to say they are on par with each other - close enough that I would not see differences, if any, in real world conditions for my kind of photography.

I shoot under really difficult low light and strong colored lighting conditions - some ludicrously so - shooting often at ISO5000 and shutter speeds between 1/4-1/15 sec -
I have a whole thread of examples on the K-x and humble kit zooms (except a few noted "ringers" for comparison).

Kx in Use ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

Of course I'd be happy with almost any of the aforementioned cameras -
but this is the same as saying I am happy enough with the K-x that I do not need to change.
01-05-2012, 06:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
First thing I did on my cameras was to go menu diving and turn the damned focus point indicators OFF. I have never been able to understand why anybody would require more than one or why they would want those damned red idiot lights flashing in the screen.
Those are my exact feelings. I had focus indicators on my last DSLR, an Olympus, but I never really needed them since I kept it on the center focus point. The only time I switch my K-x off the center point is when I'm handing my camera to someone else to take a picture of my family. Then I'll usually put it on the Auto-5 mode. But a lot of times I'll forget to put it back to center focus, and then I'll wonder why my focus is all over the place for the next few shots I take.
01-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Did this some time ago.
Was taken from the imaging resource test photo, funny enough some pretended not to notice a difference ^^
It's probably the anti aliasing filter causing the difference.
01-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Maybe it's because I'm a noob, but I like the focus indicators. I sometimes find myself "getting lost" in the viewfinder. Even though I only use the center focus point, I sometimes find myself surprised by where that little red light shows up. I think I have the focus point set right, but the light pops on, and it's not in the center at all and I have to realign where I'm focusing. So, for me, they help a lot. I bet if I didn't have them, I would probably adjust, though.

As for the IQ comparisons, tests aside, I have seen some amazing photos from both cameras. I'm guessing the photographer's skill and also processing abilities account for any actual differences in IQ that can be seen in real life situations.