Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
my most disappointing thing about Pentax

Just want to say that I think that the autofocus on the DSLR (K10 in particular) is been the only real disappoint for me. I did my first real wedding shoot with my wife and her k100 and I was a bit frustrated when I was taking inside photos. A bit dark, but this camera should have handled it much better.Was using a Sigma DG500 super which is more then worthy of the assignment. sometimes by the time it caught focus and fired, the subject already moved... up to 70 percent rejection rate in some areas. I know that the sigma 17-70 is not the best but a good lens, but like I said... standing there with a great looking camera and having people wait was a tad disappointing!I have been doing manual focus for a while but in a situation like this, you don't have time for trial and error, you need to get it right
Yes I know that the newer K5 can do up to 7 shots a second, but if the camera doesn't have a good focus system, what is the point of more fps (not including manual lens of course)
anyone else feel this way? or am I just expecting to much?
after watching a few videos of C/N cameras firing like a machine gun, it just got me thinking

just a rant

thanks

01-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's not perfect, but for sports the K-5 is better than a 5-year-old canon. I too wish that Pentax would put in an improved AF system.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's not perfect, but for sports the K-5 is better than a 5-year-old canon. I too wish that Pentax would put in an improved AF system.
If I were ever to jump ship (likely won't happen with the investment already made) this would be the only reason to switch.

cheers
01-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Seems a bit late to complain about the K10 or K100. I mean, they're 5-6 years old now and 3 generations out of date. Is it really fair to compare them to current Canikons, or even current Pentax offerings? I only have a K-r, but it performs well enough for me. Everyone says the K-5 is significantly better, including with regards to AF. Maybe it's time to upgrade?

01-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Always room for improvement of course and I've seen some video of machine gunning Canikon too. But what they do not show is how many of those shots are in focus? Just because you can fire away doesn't mean anything.

I recently took a cruise and came upon a lot of Canikon shooters (and two other Pentax's). One Canon shooter in particular had his set for high burst rate for all shots. So taking a still of his wife posing in front of a life preserver in bright daylight, was about 7 exposures. I asked why he took so many shots and his reply was he always wanted extra to make sure he got one that was in focus.

But I do think comparing the K10 to modern Canikon cameras is perhaps not a fair comparison. I think the k-5 holds it's own, although as I said up front there is always room for improvement.
01-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Its a problem with any system.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/169984-so-i-want-upgrade...ml#post1766562

very often the grass just looks greener from the other side (or when you hear the rapid shutter clicks in your case)

Not saying that there isn't room for improvement though (plenty imo even for the K5)

Edit : LC below brought up a good point. How many shots from the Canikons are really in focus.
I had a chance to be 2nd camera man for a friend's wedding in a church. (there were 3 photographers in total)
The 'pro' was on D700 and D90;
When I got to review my friend's photos from the 'pro' many were OOF compared to the K5 I used, which surprised me.

Last edited by pinholecam; 01-04-2012 at 11:46 PM.
01-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
after watching a few videos of C/N cameras firing like a machine gun, it just got me thinking
It sure sounds better if you disable AF and set a high shutter speed, eh? Who cares about keepers - it's not like you see them in the video either. Next time, leave your SD card at home, just turn your camera to M mode and set a 1/2000 speed, then blow your C/N friends away. When they call to get the photos you can just tell them that the card got corrupted. The expression on their faces throughout this experience: priceless!
01-06-2012, 12:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

bursting fast to chance focus, for me, is worse than getting a few shots with well-composed and well-timed ones (less battery drain too)

01-06-2012, 03:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
bursting fast to chance focus, for me, is worse than getting a few shots with well-composed and well-timed ones (less battery drain too)
Yes, Pray and Spray is never a good idea unless in very certain situations...not wedding photos.

Jason
01-06-2012, 04:43 AM   #10

Actually I don't understand why DSLR-s don't do focus bracketing. Basically camera would autofocus, do one shot then turn the focus one step in one direction, make another shot then one step to the other direction from the original shot and make the tird shot. Ideally number of shots and step size could be also customized. Focus bracketing btw. allows to make very nice macros if you combine them later. Last time I checked only some compacts modified with hacked firmware allow to do focus bracketing automatically.
01-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #11
Pentaxian

You are trying to do a pro-job with what I call is not more then a hobby set. All the things you mention can be bought for les then 1000 euro on today's marketplace. If you want pro-specs, be prepared to pay for it.

AF and fps have no relation at all.

Yes I would like improvement towards the next camera's.
01-06-2012, 06:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I love Pentax however AF is the only reason I am getting into Nikon, though not selling my Pentax primes in hope that the next camera with acceptable AF and I can continue to be with Pentax.
01-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
You are trying to do a pro-job with what I call is not more then a hobby set.
This has been the Pentax problem since the LX. I stay for the lenses, but bemoan the bodies. I was very able to shoot weddings with Pentax 35mm because the viewfinders were good, to the point my first AF SLR was an MZ-5 that I inherited from my father. On the surface, a nice little camera, but really quite junky once I started working with it. I used it a couple of times and gave up on it.
The viewfinders on the DSLRs are too small for accurate manual focus if one is in a hurry, and the AF is still not up to the task. The K5 is an improvement in AF speed, but not as accurate as what came before it, especially in mixed light where the front focusing makes it unpredictable.
If Ricoh comes up with a pro specified DSLR, one with AF that actually works and build quality matching the general feel of the K5 chassis, I will be a very happy person.
I suspect Hoya held back somewhat on what they were willing to spend on the camera side of things, and this is why the K5 is not the camera it should be. Hopefully Ricoh will do better.
Note to the OP, for weddings, you are best to prefocus on a particular spot and wait for the subject to come into it and squeeze of a frame. This is how we did processionals in dim churches with manual focus cameras, and with Pentax it is still the best way. I've had the AF fail me in some way every time I've tried to use it at weddings.
01-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #14
Pentaxian

you know, it makes me wonder whether we all are complaining about nothing

When I go back and look at photos, although I have a lot of good MF photos, It is clear that on average, my shots got sharper when I moved to the PZ1 and autofocus.

My digital shots are better and sharper still, even when using the same lenses as on my PZ-1 and even when doing manual focus.

Is AF perfect, Hell no, but overall things are moving along a line suggesting continual improvement.

One other note, and this is aimed directly at the OP. a first attempt at anything generally does not work well. to me, the real issue is not the AF but the lack of knowledge of the situation and equipment.

I refuse to accept poor AF as a reason for spoiled wedding pictures, because we have as a group been shooting weddings longer with MF than AF, how did we do it in the past.
01-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #15
Pentaxian

It's quite surprising actually, seems like adequate hardware is already there but Pentax falls behind in good algorithm. For example, k-x has more cross type sensor than Nikon D90 but despite of that D90 is far ahead in AF game. If Pentax can't, it's a right time Pentax opens up the firmware, at least partially or some developer hooks for people to try their hands on it.