Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I need some advice!

Hi everyone,

I just have a few general questions. Can anyone tell me if Pentax's Shake Reduction is worth the extra bucks, or would I be better off investing in some fast glass? I currently have a K110D, but I was considering the K100D Super. I just don't know if it's worth all the hassle. Also, can battery grips be used with the K100D?

I heard Pentax is set to release some new SLRs this January. I was thinking about purchasing an upgrade to my K110D soon. Should I wait until after January? Do you think the price of the K100D and K10D will drop significantly following the release of these new models?

Marc

12-26-2007, 04:20 PM   #2

i think the shake reduction is worth the extra bucks especially on long lenses.
as far as prices coming down, of they will.
will the k110 serve you long enough to get the shots you otherwise wouldn't be getting if you had upgraded? only you will know.
12-26-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums, Marc

Can anyone tell me if Pentax's Shake Reduction is worth the extra bucks, or would I be better off investing in some fast glass? I currently have a K110D, but I was considering the K100D Super. I just don't know if it's worth all the hassle.

For the price difference I'd probably suggest going straight to the K10D if you can afford it. SR is well worth the extra money on either body. I've used the Sigma 50-500 at speeds as slow as 1/60th and gotten good results. Unheard of with a 500mm lens and no tripod or bean bags. I have a K110D and made the jump straight to the K10D which was much higher priced at the time. Well worth the leap.

Also, can battery grips be used with the K100D?

There are some aftermarket versions that require a short cable to the shutter release socket as the body has no baseplate connections. Some users have reported they like them. They sell around $110.00 on Ebay. Quite limited compared to the grip for the K10D though.

I heard Pentax is set to release some new SLRs this January. I was thinking about purchasing an upgrade to my K110D soon. Should I wait until after January? Do you think the price of the K100D and K10D will drop significantly following the release of these new models?

I would be really surprised if you'll see many further drops in the store price of either model. The K10D was originally $1299 only a year or so ago and They seem to be $699 or so with the rebates. Might be a small drop if it's discontinued but not much I bet.

The new bodies will be announced in January but who knows when they will actually be in the stores. My Bet is Early to mid summer. The new gear will also be well over $1000.00 with all the assumed features that are rumoured. I would expect that will keep K10D and K100D prices stable unless you get a used one.
12-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

S/R is worth it

Yes the S/R is worth it. Getting the fastest lenses available is all well and good, but you are still trading shutter speed for depth of field. You want to be using fast lenses wide open because you can, not because you must !

12-26-2007, 08:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stafford588 Quote
Hi everyone,

I just have a few general questions. Can anyone tell me if Pentax's Shake Reduction is worth the extra bucks, or would I be better off investing in some fast glass? I currently have a K110D, but I was considering the K100D Super. I just don't know if it's worth all the hassle. Also, can battery grips be used with the K100D?

Marc
Marc

Some time ago there was a question raised about acceptible blurr.

I posted 2 shots to answer what I thought was acceptable. the first was a chickadee shot with a 300mmF4 stopped down 2 stops, plus a 1.7x AF TC. SHot was done with a flash, that forze the image and made it extremely sharp.

The other shot was a blue jay. it was a little fuzzy, not very much but noticeable. The difference was it was shot with a 70-200mmF2.8 plus a 1.4 x TC lens wide open at f2.8 and 1/30 of a second.

without shake reduction that shot would not have been possible at all, let alone something I would post as an acceptable shot.

see this discussion thread to see what shake reduction can do and remember that without shake reduction with a 300mm lens the typical recommended shutter speed would be 1/ 300 x 1.5 ir 1/450 th of a second

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/13308-do-you-a...tly-blurr.html
12-27-2007, 10:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree with the other people above: the shake reduction is nice and does work, but I don't think I'd spend the money to go from K110D to K100D Super just for that. Either get the K10D or hold on and see what's coming up.