Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Like others, I kept my k200d as a backup after buying my K5. Fortunately, I haven't had to use it since getting the K5, but it's nice to have in on hand should it be needed. It is a wonderful camera...kind of a shame to have it sitting in the closet waiting for its opportunity to shoot again, but it had its days of glory.

01-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I am out shooting, I often have 2 maybe even 3 bodies with complimentary lenses. My K200d probably has more clicks on it than my K20d.
01-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I have probably waited too long to finally decide to sell my K100DS and the K10D, they are not going to fetch much money at all for bodies that have barely over 2K shutter actuations. Instead of selling, I will convert the K10D to IR sometime this year and keep the K100DS as a spare. I realize my two bodies don't have anything to do with K200D but I thought it relevant in how to keep on using older bodies that have plenty of life in them.
01-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I sold my K200D early this year and have regretted it ever since. Hang onto it.

01-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
I sold my K200D early this year and have regretted it ever since. Hang onto it.
You can still buy a second hand one. There are some good deals from time to time. I bought mine last year for 200 euros postage incl. It had only 2200 clicks.
01-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fg-one Quote
You can still buy a second hand one. There are some good deals from time to time. I bought mine last year for 200 euros postage incl. It had only 2200 clicks.
Yeah I know, but I only have >< of a budget now for camera buying and most of it has gone on other stuff (to wit, the X100, XZ1 and lenses). I just should not have sold it.
01-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K200D a Keeper

I would keep the K200D if at all possible. The K200D would make an excellent back-up to the K5 as both are weather-proof. The K200D also has advantages in that it seems to have a reputation as a reliable body and it is powered by AA batteries. I have a K5 and it would be a tough choice if forced to choose between it and the K200D. Good luck with your decision.

01-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
.. I think the answer will be I keep lowering the price until it's sold and save for the K5, but really want to throw the question out there because I think the K200D image quality is pretty good...
I've been looking at cameras to replace my brother's *ist DL, and I thought that was a really good price. Unfortunately he has not made up his mind yet what to buy. I don't think you need a lower price, just keep bumping until the right buyer sees the ad.

When I went from the *ist DS to a K-7, I saw what the DS sold for and decided I could keep it for that. Yes, most of the times I go to use it, it has forgotten the date. I don't need it. I could "loan" it to my brother. But it's simply worth way more to me than the market value, sentiment included.
01-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #24
Forum Member

Having just moved up to a K200D from my trusty *istDL, I have come to understand why everyone has raved about them. I would have kept my *ist as a spare body with my 50mm f2 on it but I sold it to one of my part-time staff within an hour of buying the K200D.

I love the handling. The *istDL felt great but the K200D feels like it is an extension of my hand. AE-L is right there with a slight movement of my thumb. AF/MF switch is right where it belongs.
01-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #25

I have upgraded the software on both of my Pentax bodies.(K20D and *ist DL) Since the upgrade I can use the same size sd cards in both cameras. Right they both have 16gb class 10 cards in them. I don't think I would get rid of either one other than to give one to my Daughter.
01-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #26
Forum Member

when i bought my K10D i have already decided to sell my K100D, but as of now i still have the K100D and will keep it as a back-up camera.
01-08-2012, 02:46 AM   #27
Pentaxian

The K200D was far better than the Nikon, Canon, Sony & Oly equivalents available at the time, and in many ways remains better than current offerings even now. The more recent lower end Pentax offerings have unfortunately not kept up to the K200D build standard.

If mine broke today, I would quite happily replace it with another.
01-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #28

I had a similar thread here a few weeks ago when my k200d needed repairs.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/167864-do-i-fix-my-k200d.html
Many people had really good comments mostly saying the sensor is better in newer models and I should upgrade. But, be sure to see Marc Sabatella's comment on page 2. Holding sensors equal the k200d is a superior product and I wish the kx and kr had the same weather proofing, interface and sturdy build. Kinda makes me wonder why they put money into R&D redesigning cameras when many of us are saying, that older entry level pentax was the BEST.

Obviously R&D in the sensors is needed. But interface and options are as good as i will ever need it.
They all need a micro prism however.

Last edited by cadmus; 01-12-2012 at 09:31 PM.
01-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
I haven't had much luck selling my K200D and now I'm thinking this really is a pretty nice camera. I was going to sell it to get a K5. While I know there is no comparison really between the two, has anyone decided that their K200D or K10, or K20D is actually pretty adequate, assuming you don't need the low light capability, or is the K5 that dramatically better. I think the answer will be I keep lowering the price until it's sold and save for the K5, but really want to throw the question out there because I think the K200D image quality is pretty good.

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter, knowing that my question sounds a little lame.
The K200D is a highly underrated camera. It has a great sensor and can produce excellent RAW files. My wife and I owned one for two years and never intended to part with it, but after upgrading several bodies, we decided to give it away to my sister to help her get started in photography. Had it not of been for that, it would likely still be in my kit. After all, where else can you find a DSLR that has a grip, weather sealing, and a top LCD for around 200 dollars?
01-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My K200D, with a DA 35mm Ltd Macro permanently attached, gets used all the time. I can easily hold the camera in my right hand, and hold an off-camera flash with my left, and do macro flash photography in my "studio" and outside. My K20D is a gem, and I still have not upgraded either body, and probably will not for some time to come. They both have Samsung sensors. .. it doesn't get any better than that, in my opinion. I will never quit on those cameras. If one breaks, I will get it repaired.

I have been tempted to upgrade more than once, but both my 200D and 20D are still teaching me a lot about photography. So, keep your K200D. (Or sell it to me. I would love to have another just for my DA Ltds.)