Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2012, 01:48 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
,,. I can easily hold the camera in my right hand, and hold an off-camera flash with my left, and do macro flash photography in my "studio" and outside.
I have the same experience and also use camera and flash the way you describe. The ergonomics of the K200D is just fantastic. I now have the chance to compare to the K-5 and with my hands K200D is the winner.

...... They both have Samsung sensors. .. it doesn't get any better than that, in my opinion.

.... So, keep your K200D.
I cannot prove it, but I sincerely believe - and believe that I can actually see - that there IS something about CCD sensors that CMOS just cannot fully match.

01-20-2012, 05:50 AM   #32

I have had my K200D for just over 3 years and to date it has served me more than well. The newer camera models may have more bells and whistles but the K200D is still a capable performer.

Regards
01-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Despite being old, the k200d is very capable camera and very reliable too. I also own K-5 and I can compare them. Everything what K-5 offers and has is very big leap forward. Newer camera works faster, has more functions and many functions can be reached easier, and ISO is top noch, and exposure metering is much more accurate. However............ When it comes to default picture saturation (or even adjusted) I prefer K200D output to K-5. The old CCD just has something a tad more natural, a tad more balanced while K-5 gives punchy colors but they are somewhat different. Also i found K200D grip more comfortable than K-5.Otherwise, K-5 is a real winner
01-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #34

I'm still happy with my K200D. I would love to get a better high iso camera like a k-r or a k-5. But seriously, most of my shooting is in daylight hours and less need of the speed anyway. If I do upgrade,
I plan on keeping my old faithful K200D!

01-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #35
Inactive Account

We K200D owners don't talk much because we are so satisfied and content and busy smoking afterwards cigarette . Except this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/129204-anyone-else-miss-k200d.html
01-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They both have Samsung sensors. .. it doesn't get any better than that, in my opinion. I will never quit on those cameras. If one breaks, I will get it repaired.
Not to nitpick, but I believe the K200D has a Sony CCD sensor (same as K10D), and the K20D has a Samsung CMOS sensor. But you're right, they're both great cameras
01-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
I haven't had much luck selling my K200D and now I'm thinking this really is a pretty nice camera. I was going to sell it to get a K5. While I know there is no comparison really between the two, has anyone decided that their K200D or K10, or K20D is actually pretty adequate, assuming you don't need the low light capability, or is the K5 that dramatically better. I think the answer will be I keep lowering the price until it's sold and save for the K5, but really want to throw the question out there because I think the K200D image quality is pretty good.

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter, knowing that my question sounds a little lame.
I have decided to keep my k200D; at least for now. It really is a great camera that is very well built. If I had $1000 to spend, I would probably get more lenses instead of a k-5 (I just have the kit lens, a da40 and a cheap 50mm). I believe my next camera will be one of the mirror-less models that are coming out. However, that will be a two to three years from now when I can purchase a used body cheaply.

Recently I purchased a da40 limited. In my opinion it really breathed new live into the camera. If you do not have any of the limited primes, I highly recommend them.

As a side note, I never understood the backup body thing. Unless you are professional events or weddings, I do not see the need for one. I know if I got a k-5 and kept my k200d body, the k200D would just sit in the closet and collect dust. Anyhow, not trying to pick a fight or anything, I just never understood why people keep multiple bodies (I would rather have a $200 lens).

01-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #38
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kswier Quote
Anyhow, not trying to pick a fight or anything, I just never understood why people keep multiple bodies (I would rather have a $200 lens).
Easy, emotional attachment, most keepers (like me) mostly coming from expensive& indestructible film cameras era. We didn't have to consider changing bodies every other year at that time. So cameras was becoming part of the family.
01-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
I haven't had much luck selling my K200D and now I'm thinking this really is a pretty nice camera. I was going to sell it to get a K5. While I know there is no comparison really between the two, has anyone decided that their K200D or K10, or K20D is actually pretty adequate, assuming you don't need the low light capability, or is the K5 that dramatically better. I think the answer will be I keep lowering the price until it's sold and save for the K5, but really want to throw the question out there because I think the K200D image quality is pretty good.

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter, knowing that my question sounds a little lame.
K5 is a big leap from K200D.
The very low noise level at both low and high ISO.
ISO80 for the increased DR and help for shutter slowing
Very fine noise at all ISO does mean better use for macros and also long lenses.
Better resistance to PP
Far better AF speed and decisiveness.
Faster access to controls and parameters
AF adjustments for 20 lenses
Very quiet shutter

Of course if you are satisfied with what your current camera gives you, thats fine.
But comparatively, K5 is a much better camera.
01-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
. . . why people keep multiple bodies . . .
Come visit my OCLRHH (Old Camera and Lens Retirement Home and Hospice) an' meet some of my friends. They don't eat much, still laugh at my jokes an' have memorable tales of their own. Occasionally one of 'em wanders off to tutor a worthy noobie.

H2
01-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Yep - still have the K200D I purchased new when it was the best value entry level dSLR around - easily trumping those other brands.

As everyone else has pointed out, its tough, water resistant, has that top LCD (perfect in a bright Aussie summer), great ergonomics, uses AA batteries and produces excellent images.

Yes, it has limitations - high ISO noise (fix that in LR with luminance/colour NR), a double mirror slap when my reversing ring/extension tubes/bellows is mounted (don't know why), and AF hunting and noise in low contrast situations. But if you know your limitations you can allow for them

To put it in more perspective, I compete regularly in my photography club and get high scores against high end Canikon users - so its not the camera that's a limitation!

I've looked at the K-5 longingly, but can't justify it when the old K200D fills 90% of my needs. Good glass is the better investment.

So keep your trusty K200D - and enjoy it
01-31-2012, 01:41 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Not to nitpick, but I believe the K200D has a Sony CCD sensor (same as K10D), and the K20D has a Samsung CMOS sensor. But you're right, they're both great cameras
Nope. K10D and K200D have Samsung sensors.
01-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nope. K10D and K200D have Samsung sensors.
Sorry, I beg to differ. Everything I've read about this subject indicates that the 10.2 mp CCD sensor used in the K10D, K200D, K-m (K2000) is made by Sony. It was also used in some Sony & Nikon cameras.

From a Nikon D80 review at: Nikon D80 Review by Thom Hogan

"The sensor in the D80 is an ICX493AQA CCD made by Sony. The same sensor is used in the Sony Alpha 100 and Pentax K10D. The 10.2 effective megapixels mean 3872 x 2592 pixel images, enough to produce straight-from-camera prints up to about 11x16" without resizing. The base ISO of the CCD is 100, with third-stop increments up through ISO 1600. You can also boost ISO one more stop, up to an effective ISO 3200. "

More here: RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: The Secrets of the K10D (Part 1 of 3) - The Heart: CCD Imager

There's also some discussion here on PF.com if you do a search. That said, I love the low-ISO output from this sensor - beautiful colors

Last edited by paulh; 01-31-2012 at 03:14 PM.
01-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
The K200D was far better than the Nikon, Canon, Sony & Oly equivalents available at the time
The K200D was my first DSLR for this very reason.

The K-5 was the first Pentax offering with enough improvements across the board to make an upgrade worth considering. I sold my K200D after getting a K-5, but sometimes wish I hadn't. It would be a fantastic backup body.

I agree with whoever said the K200D grip was more comfortable. The K-5 digs into my middle finger a bit.

I think the K200D had an easier learning curve to get great pictures out of it (as it should, being an entry-level camera).

All of that said, I don't think I could go back to a single e-dial and no ISO button now.
01-31-2012, 07:59 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Sorry, I beg to differ. Everything I've read about this subject indicates that the 10.2 mp CCD sensor used in the K10D, K200D, K-m (K2000) is made by Sony. It was also used in some Sony & Nikon cameras.
The K10D was released in 2006, and was a joint project between Pentax and Samsung, which provided the sensor. Exactly the same 10 Megapixel CCD sensor was placed in the K200D. Rice High notwithstanding.

EDIT: Well I'll be danged. I must be wrong. I swear I have read that the sensors in the K10D and K200D were made by Samsung a gazillion times already. And the existence of the Samsung G10 just seemed to confirm that. But when I do a search of the reviews, I have found one that said it was a Samsung sensor, another (more reliable) that said it was a Sony sensor, and the rest say manufacturer: "unknown" or just "-". So, paulh, I accept your word for it. And apologies to Rice High.

Last edited by snofox; 01-31-2012 at 08:19 PM.