Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K200D Reality Check

I haven't had much luck selling my K200D and now I'm thinking this really is a pretty nice camera. I was going to sell it to get a K5. While I know there is no comparison really between the two, has anyone decided that their K200D or K10, or K20D is actually pretty adequate, assuming you don't need the low light capability, or is the K5 that dramatically better. I think the answer will be I keep lowering the price until it's sold and save for the K5, but really want to throw the question out there because I think the K200D image quality is pretty good.

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter, knowing that my question sounds a little lame.

01-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/129204-anyone-else-miss-k200d.html

Just save up for K5. Keep K200D as spare or as second body for e.g. M42 lenses. I'm still using my K100D (and to a lesser extent the K10D) next to the K5.
01-05-2012, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I don't 'upgrade'; I supplement. Since you include the K20D in your query, I'll say that I bought mine 3.5 years ago with the hope that I'd be satisfied with it for quite a while, that I'd feel no desire to 'upgrade'. So far, so good. The K5 really is a better camera, but I feel NO need to supplement the K20D's excellence with the video and low-light performance of a Kx-Kr-K5. If a camera suits your needs and desires, great! Only supplement if you need more features; only 'upgrade' if your current chassis just isn't useful. Or if you have a buxom budget. Good luck!
01-05-2012, 10:33 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Like my original H2a and later the MX, the K200D fits my hands and needs so well I've had no desire to upgrade. Instead I've acquired four K200 bodies at reasonable prices -- hopefully that'll be enough of these "delicate computer appliances" to last me a while (I'd note that my original H2a, one Spotmatic and the MX are still useable and I'll be surprised if a DSLR lasts 40+ years).

H2

01-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I have both K200D and K5 and I have found that the images from the K5 need more PP (sharpening, colours) to achieve a final IQ close to that given by the K200D, at 100 or 200 ISO. It is also more demanding on lenses. Or course with the K5, you have more speed, better high ISO performance, 2 dials and nicer OVF and screen. I miss the SR hard switch from the K200D though.

Last edited by fg-one; 01-06-2012 at 09:41 AM.
01-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #6

It is a nice camera still, there just isn't a big demand for it. You would have to find a buyer who's specifically looking for one. Otherwise, if it's not selling then you're probably asking too much.
01-06-2012, 01:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I still have my K200D and it would be nice to upgrade to a K5 but it's a lot of money to replace a camera I love & which takes amazing photos. As for low light, I learned to use bounce flash (it's easy) and that solved 80% of low light issues. The few shots I take at 1600 ISO I usually convert to B&W and they look great.

So, I plan to keep the K200D until it breaks and I have to replace it. Until then I can use my funds for lenses & flashes .

01-06-2012, 01:34 AM   #8

I found the K200D to be an excellent camera, and I'm keeping mine as a backup for my new K-5, which I got in order to take advantage of a few of its features, and which I'm also quite happy with. Those are: quieter operation, better quality at higher ISOs, and improved AF. The K-5 does deliver on all of these, but, while these might be important in wildlife photography, for many other uses and users, the 200D may be all that's needed.

I think that's probably often true when switching to a newer, higher level body. For most people, most of the time, we end up paying for a whole bunch of new features and improved performance in order to get the few features a/o improvements that actually are helpful for what we shoot; that's just how things work!
01-06-2012, 02:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If it's the only body you have, I second the suggestion of others - just save up for the K-5

on the other hand, I'm looking for K20D's locally but it seems their owners don't want to part with them anytime )

Last edited by Alizarine; 01-06-2012 at 02:51 AM.
01-06-2012, 02:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Just save up for the K5. It's price is lowering over time too, so your savings-objective is less far away then you might think.

Keep the K20D. I often miss a second body. I'm desperately seeking a cheap pentax DSLR to DIY mod for IR. If you think you'll be intereseted in shooting IR or full spectrum some time, then you should definetely keep it.

I was in such a hurry to buy the K5, that I sold my K20D for far less then it was worth. I keep regretting that.
01-06-2012, 02:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have a K-5 and I still kept my trusty K200D, sure the K-5 is a better camera than the K200D in every way possible, but that doesnt mean the K200D is not good. I kept it because it is still a really great camera, its weather sealed, has top LCD and one of the best sensors for low ISO you can get and its very reliable.

Enjoy it
01-06-2012, 03:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I feel similarly about my K-7. On the market it is pretty much selling for peanuts nowadays which is far less than the value it has to me and in my hands and in use. It may very well be a body I keep forever, not because it is irreplaceable and despite how many newer/better bodies I buy in the future. Who knows, in the year 2020, it may be a nice, retro bookend.

Until then, it's a pretty decent DSLR in my opinion.

Jason
01-06-2012, 04:33 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I would love to have a K-5 (who wouldn't) if I could justify the expense, but I couldn't possibly dream of departing with my K200D. The more I use it (now past 40.000 shutter actuations) the more pleased with it I become.

I seriously think I should do as pacerr at get me one or more K200D back-up bodies. In fact, I have begun looking for such, but they aren't exactly cheap over here in Europe.
01-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the helpful and thoughtful input. I really like the handling of the K200D and think I'll probably just keep it. I think it's worth more as a primary/eventual backup than selling it at current prices. Maybe I'll get a DA40 to pair with it while I save for a K5 and see those prices drop a bit. I have to admit I sold my K20D in anticipation of the K5, and while I know it's a better camera than the K200D I think I still prefer the handling of the K200D better. Anyway, I think I'll do some shooting this weekend. . .
01-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K200-shooters aren't very vocal (textual?) but every time I see a thread like this I'm impressed by the loyalty we have to that body.

It seems to work without need of firmware fixes. Body faults are almost non-existent compared to some others, and with four in hand here I'm pleased with the consistency among the bodies.

One of the telling issues to me is how many serious K200 users have not felt the need to upgrade until the K5 showed serious promise -- and still aren't in a hurry to leave the old body behind. Selling the K20 and Keeping the K200 as a second / backup?? Economics notwithstanding, that's a statement of value IMO.

H2