Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2007, 10:36 PM   #1

K10D with 18 - 125mm Sigma

Hi there,
I'm new to the forum and have just purchased a K10D with the Sigma 18 to 125mm lens. In researching the camera before I purchased it I have noticed many comments about how out of the box the K10D leaves a bit to be desired as regards tp picture quality using the factory default settings. They say however with a couple of adjustments even on Auto in "Green Mode" it does a fine job.

Would someone be able to tell me in simple terms what adjustments I should make up front to the defaults whilst I begin to use and learn more about this camera that everyone tells me is something quite special (Nikon 200D class) once you master it.

Thanks heaps,
Mike

12-26-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found no problems with the out of box images on my k10d. The reports are from those testers who expected highly saturated colour and high contrast. The k10d does not do this out of the box. I use mine with the default settings for this, but others suggest some modifications. Most of the complaints are to do with the default jpeg settings. I use RAW rather than jpeg, so they don't affect me. I do my enhancements in post processing.

If you find the jpeg images too bland, you may set the [Rec. Mode] > [Image Tone] to the higher setting. This will punch the colours - an effect I personally don't care for.

The Saturation, Shrpness and Contrast settings are there for you to use as well. The comments I have received on the viewing screen, with all three of the above settings at factory defaults has universally been to the effect of "sharp pictures!".
12-26-2007, 11:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to Pentax Forums Mike,

Like Albert said
QuoteQuote:
those testers who expected highly saturated colour and high contrast
From what I understand Pentax wanted their cameras to look more like a film camera right out of the box. Which some people prefer.

My advice would be to take some pictures while having fun with it.

If you really like some of the pictures, but feel that they need something done to them someone here can probably help you with a little post processing

Then make any in-camera adjustments after you know what you want.
12-27-2007, 04:14 AM   #4
Inactive Account

You got ripped with the Sigma 18-125.

Not a nice lens.

12-27-2007, 05:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Mike, it also depends on "where you came from." If you've used Point & Shoot cameras extensively, default jpegs from the K10D might not "pop" as much. If you prefer Fuji over Kodak film, you might experience the same thing. This is not to say one is "bad," or worse than the other; rather, some renditions are considered "more accurate." I feel the default K10D output (both raw and jpeg) lean towards being more accurate. Certainly there are settings to allow you to change the jpeg handling to your liking. And you can make anything "pop" in post, if you want. It's all in how you like it.

Back in the day, my B&W (and color) prints had certain look to them, due to the way I processed them. I don't see "the digital age" changing that aspect much, at this level (i.e. beyond the P&S snapshots).
12-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You may want to set the camera in bright mode, +2 sharpness and -1 saturation...
At least for me, I have found these setting quite pleasing.
12-27-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote

Not a nice lens.
Not necessarily so..I have had one for some years and it does a pretty good job, struggles a bit in low light, but I have many good shots from it.
Cheers.
12-27-2007, 03:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote

Not a nice lens.
I beg to differ, and agree with GWP. I've owned this lens for 3 years and have used it a lot. Whilst it's no DA* the results are always pleasing. As GWP said it suffers a bit in low light, but it is a cheap zoom. It is light (for it's focal range) and is quite well balanced on the K10D. This whole gallery was shot with this lens. I'm fussy, but these are pretty good.

If Mikes copy is as good as mine then he'll have no problems capturing hundreds of great shots. It is a fantastic walk-around lens.

12-27-2007, 05:36 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you for your comments and advice. The Sigma 18 to 125 was recommended to me by many people as being the best of the "packaged" lens available here for the K10D except for the Pentax 18 to 55 which my son and I already have. He has a 1stDL with that lens and we share across our lens range.
I have a Pentax Z20 35mm SLR and a MZ50 and also a Fuji 5000S Digital Point and Shoot. I also use my son's digital SLR quite regularly.
My K10D is a genuine CR Kennedy imported camera (The Australian Distributor) and not a parallel or grey import so I have full warranty support etc. I picked it up for $1100 AUD due to a mistake being made in an advert placed by a major Camrea Retailer so I'm very happy with the purchase.
I will just start taking shots, experimenting and looking at the results and learning about the camera as I go and can either adjust "post" or make some changes to settings if I find it necessary over time.
Thanks again.