Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Low light - K-x vs K10d

I've been taking photographs for 50 years so I must get good at it some day soon.

My question is, though, is the low-light performance of a K-x so much better than my current K10d that I should replace the old heavyweight? I'm doing lots of low light shots lately and the K10D is hard work. I've never used a K-x but have seen one being remaindered at a sensible price. To buy it would have to part with the K10 to fund it.

Definite answers, vague opinionations and tub-thumpings are all welcome!

BFN
David

01-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Vague opinion: The K10D is reputedly great at low ISO. The Kx is reputedly great at high ISO. Don't replace -- supplement. Use the K10D for low-ISO work, the Kx for low light work. Selah!
01-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Jannie Quote
My question is, though, is the low-light performance of a K-x so much better than my current K10d that I should replace the old heavyweight? I'm doing lots of low light shots lately and the K10D is hard work. I've never used a K-x but have seen one being remaindered at a sensible price. To buy it would have to part with the K10 to fund it.
The K-x HighISO performance is the reason why I upgraded from the trusty K100D to the K-x.

Proof of the pudding is in the actual results - I have hundreds of photos posted in this still current thread (over 2 years long):

Kx in Use ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

this shot is from the humble 50-200 kit zoom at ISO5000 (that's 5 thousand) taken just this past Thursday:

Photography is a visual media -
and more often than not our eyes are the final judge -
but I will take the point that one's own judgement may not necessarily apply to anyone else.

I like displaying these from dpReview.com on the Pentax K-5 -
comparing the K-x with what are essentially the top dogs of APS-C sensor dSLRs, and the K-r -

ISO6400:

I find ISO6400 is about the highest practical limit for noise.

RAW:
01-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you both. RioRico certainly has a point and my better half wouldn't be able to tell one from the other as long as I don't have both out at once! I've read Vincent's thread avidly because he' s doing the sort of thing I've got into lately and is getting sharper results. My flickr album is at

Flickr: The jannie's Photostream

I should point out that the shots of The Enid numbered 07xx etc were taken with my (expletive deleted)P7000. The other concert photographs are K10 work, often with lots of PP. Most are with my Tamron 70-300.

BFN
David

01-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
I like displaying these from dpReview.com on the Pentax K-5 -
comparing the K-x with what are essentially the top dogs of APS-C sensor dSLRs, and the K-r -
Looks to me that the focus is off for the K5.
These are better i think
Pentax K-r Camera Raw - Full Review

The Kx is indeed a step better then the K10D when it comes to low light but the whole camera is very different so it's hard to compare them like for like, they both have their strengths.
Maybe buying a faster lens might be a better option then the Kx.
01-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
Forum Member

I have K10D and K5. Wife has Kx. K10 is a awesome workhorse and never lets you down. Its easier to use than the other two including the k5 in my opinion. Less going into menu which wastes time. I used to get the shots i wanted in low light by pushing iso as in film days. Have perfectly good 6x4' pushed to 3200. But the KX is so much easier in low light. You just dont worry about it. Just take the pic. Before i got my k5, id go and get my wifes kx and take pic. For general shooting during daylight hours, ill stick to the K10d though.
01-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wouldn't replace the K10D with a K-x. I would replace it with a K20D, a K-7, or a K-5. I would supplement it only with a K-x, as RioRico suggested.
01-08-2012, 02:20 AM   #8

Original Poster
I think RioRico and Laurentiu Cristofor are swaying me with their leaning towards supplementing the K10 rather than replacing it. I'll tell my better half that it's a supplement that we old chaps need to keep performing as we'd like . . . .

BFN
David

01-08-2012, 04:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Jannie Quote
and my better half wouldn't be able to tell one from the other as long as I don't have both out at once!
Just make sure they are the same color
01-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #10

its nice to me because i have the same qestion...!!!??
01-10-2012, 01:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by greatsamfisher Quote
its nice to me because i have the same qestion...!!!??
And I give the same answer: Supplement. Keep and use tools that are great at what they do. I don't replace a ball-peen hammer with a claw-hammer or sledge. Each are different tools for different tasks. I supplement my pounding tools. And my cameras.

I've been doing photography for a long time. I've never 'upgraded' a camera, just bought cameras that do different things, that are better for various tasks. Some of those tool moves may seem contrary. Why go from a SLR to a 135/FF folder or 135/HF (half-frame) RF or VF? Because they're smaller, pocketable, convenient. Because I can get shots with a wind-up Canon Dial-35 that just can't be got with a Nikon F. And a K10D can do stuff a Kr can't.

IMHO the only reasons to discard a camera are:

1) It stopped working.
2) It doesn't suit me.
3) It'll be a nice gift.
4) I need the cash.

Otherwise, keep them. My ~40 cameras don't occupy *that* much space.
01-10-2012, 05:36 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Personally I find k-x blows away k10d is low ISO too with better dynamic range and AF.
01-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #13

In support of Yusuf

I go with Yusuf in terms of his experience - I moved from GX10 (K10 clone) to K-X. I thought I'd miss the top LCD but it doesn't matter - settings show up better on the main LCD screen of the KX anyway. The KX user interface has been really well thought out and although for instance I miss the matrix/center weighted/spot exposure adjustment wheel, I'm not chnaging this with every shot.

In addition, I find the KX to do a hugely improved exposure metering than the K10, with better colour as well. One keeps reading statements like ' the k10 is better at low iso', better at what I ask? I have not missed the k10d one iota since making the upgrade.

In comparison, any iso on the K10 above 400 really sucks for noise whereas on the KX, it is substantially clean up to 1600.

Another improvement is the mass of the two cameras - the K10 is a brick versus the feather weight of the KX.

However, that said, remember that the KX has problems - there were a lot of complaints about blurred shots at between 1/60s and 1/125s with no response from Pentax, which is a form of response and not at all a respectful one at that.

Additionally, I eventually replaced the KX with the KR, which has over twenty improvements compared to the KX and most notably, far more accurate and faster auto focusing. If you want to make the move, forget the KX and focus on the KR or save up for the K5 if you are a Pentax diehard..