Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2006, 02:40 PM   #1

K10 worth the extra $300?

Long story, but I am in a situation where I have $600 to put towards either a K100 or K10. Before this, I had decided that I would purchase the K100 - after all, the K100 is designed for beginners and this is my first DSLR. The extra $300 is my dilemma - am I better off putting the money towards more camera (with a release date that is sometime in November - I don't remember exactly when in Nov the camera would be available), or towards other stuff (like lenses, tripod, camera bag, etc)?

The major differences that I see between the two are the 2MP, CCD cleaning, more dedicated buttons, and the Li-ion battery (which I'm really not a fan of). I really don't know much more since I really hadn't paid much attention to the K10 rumors or new materials since I was set on the K100.

Yes, I know that this is a wonderful position to be in, and I am counting my blessings. But, I'd rather not blow it.

PS - those of you that still read dpreview, I know I posted this there as well, but I figure a lot of people here have left the other site permanently.

09-16-2006, 04:39 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Jobs

While in the end its your Call, If i were in your shoes I would get the K100. The K100 IS Available now and it has a proven track record. Get the K100 and get some experiance with the Camera. Also as you are new to a DSLR. You will need the extra money for the LBA that will Follow. Plus you will need Batterys, cases, flashs ETC.

Just my two cents
BK
09-16-2006, 09:35 PM   #3

While I am new to DSLR's also, I've shot 2000 photos in the past 4 months I've owned my KM 5D. If you just want another person's opinion I am leaning towards the K10D because I like the idea of a Li-ion battery (more shots I can acheive when I am at motorsports events), better burst-rate capability (super important w/ action photography), the weather sealed body, and the dust-reduction system which I know for Olympus owners is a god-send. Photography is also my minor in college so I want something w/ all the goodies since I plan on keeping it for at least 4-5 yrs (if not more!)

So it all depends on what you plan on doing with it, how often you will be using it, and your budget. I'm planning on selling my KM outfit to get the K10D unless some other brand catches my eye (which hasn't yet since no one else has shake-reduction besides Sony and I'm jumping ship since they took over KM).

BTW, it's a 4mp difference, not 2. Not that that is a good reason to get the K10D over the K100, if the K10 was 6mp I would still go for it. It could still go either way. If my budget holds me back then the K100 is what I'll go with just so I can start shooting right away instead of the prospect of having a brand-spankin' new model w/ problems.

Last edited by skydragoness; 09-16-2006 at 09:44 PM.
09-17-2006, 02:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

My 2cents is: go for the 100 - you'll be much happier.

As for the 'other' fora - this forum is not about to replace them just yet so post your messages where you think they will make the greatest impact.

09-17-2006, 03:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The way I see it is we don't know if the k10d is worth an extra $300 because it hasn't been released yet so no one has used one. On paper it appears to be worth it, but until production models hit the street there is no way to know.

Based on what's important to you, and you only, the k10d may be the better choice or the k100d may be the better choice.

I had decided to get a k100d when the k10d was announced. I thought about it for a few days and decided to get the k100d now rather than wait for the k10d to be released. You may decide differently, or not.

As for the k100d being designed for beginners, labeling a camera as "entry level" or "prosumer" or "professional" makes me laugh. It is the photographer who is "entry level" or whatever, not the camera. The camera is just a tool, the photographer makes the photograph. So don't worry about how other people label a camera, just worry about getting the camera that is right for you and you'll have fun and be happy.
09-17-2006, 08:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Anothers 2 cents worth

It is of course your decision, however, being new to photography, you might find the K10s feature set a bit confusing, and frustrating. It will have a much steeper learning curve for you then the K100. The K100 is much simpler for a beginner to use and get good results with right from the get go. Beleieve me it will take you quite some time to out grow it.

Just my opinion, YMMV.
Hope this helps
Rosco
09-17-2006, 09:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I totally agree with roscot! K100d is enough for start. You should spend the difference in buying better lens - 16-45 instead of 18-55 for example.
I have DS for almost two years now and I only miss dial for spot metering.

09-17-2006, 11:30 AM   #8

Jobs,

As other have said, in the end it's your call but here is my 20 cents worth, If you are on a budget I would go with the K100 and put the surplus towards quality lens. Even if you wait for the K10 you will want more than the kit lens and will end up shelling out more money.
09-17-2006, 12:15 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Worth it?

Every poster here has made a good point, but you need to know one more thing. If you plan to shoot wildlife, especially birds, you need to know that the K100 and its DL daddy both suffer from slow autofocus which is especially noticable in low contrast situations. For example, shooting an American Gold Finch against a background of pale green leaves and getting sharp focus is basicly beyond the capability of the AF.

So consider that the K10, according to press releases, has a completely redesigned AF. I'm waiting on the D10 for a ruling on the AF and on Pentax's ability to tame the noise problem on Sony's 10MP sensor.

If AF is not a problem for you, then go for the K100.

And consider this, a decent pro level tripod and head is a little over $300.
09-17-2006, 12:23 PM   #10

^
That's a good point. Now, I'm into motosports photography mostly, but I also do animal/nature stuff and I was told in my thread that the K100 should be able to do the job since it has an 11point AF and a bigger buffer than the DS/DL ( I guess K100 owners can chime in about that)

And the sensor is made by Sony on the K10D? Why am I scared by that?
09-17-2006, 12:32 PM   #11
Inactive Account

AF

In the K100 review links kindly posted on this forum, one of the reviews mentioned the AF problem. And remembered the DS and DS2 have an 11 point AF system so DS and DS2 users may have the answer for both of us.

The relationship between the AF and my little feathered buddies (and bad eyes so no MF) is the only reason I would consider replacing my DL. Of course SR, sensor dust removal would be nice frosting on the cake.
09-17-2006, 01:56 PM   #12
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We haven't yet seen conclusive evidence on who made the sensor. It could be Samsung, not Sony. Phil in his preview hints that the sensor is different form the one used in Nikon's D200 (which uses the Sont sensor).
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pentaxk10d/
09-17-2006, 04:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skydragoness Quote
That's a good point. Now, I'm into motosports photography mostly, but I also do animal/nature stuff and I was told in my thread that the K100 should be able to do the job since it has an 11point AF and a bigger buffer than the DS/DL ( I guess K100 owners can chime in about that)
DL and K100D have the same samll buffer. Only 3 RAW files. DS has 5 RAW buffer.
K100D has 11 point AF -- as DS has. However K100D AF is faster and not so sensitive to low light.

There are two things certain about K10D AF system. It is the same focussing system (IMHO that means the same algorythms used) as on K100D and it will support in-lens focusing motors (SSM). Noone knows how fast it will perform. It should be more effective than K100D AF, but we still ned that to be proven.

BTW, my wild guess is that we will see K100D upgrade quite soon (end of 2007) with support of SSM lenses, probably 10MPix sensor, larger buffer
09-17-2006, 05:30 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice. My main reason for wanting to get a new camera is that I want something fast enough to keep up with the little one who is due in Feb, and can help me make a little more of what my wife claims is a "not great, but pretty good, definitely better than me" eye for what will make a nice shot. I don't plan on taking much, if any, wildlife. Action shots that I've seen with the K100 aren't too bad. I'll take more traditional team sports, not motorsports - so people are moving 5mph, not 180mph.

I had planned on a K100 kit plus the 50-200 lens as my starter set, and looking for a nice long screwmount tele at either 300 or 400mm. Coupled with the 50/1.7 that my sister-in-law is giving me, I expected to have a nice starter set.

The benefit that appealed to me the most was the CCD cleaning system. Other than that, there wasn't much in the K10 that I thought I "needed". But, I guess a Rocket blower thing should be cheap and good enough...
09-18-2006, 05:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I think another thing to consider for beginners (like me) about the K100D vs. the K10D, is the K100 has the automatic modes (landscape, action, portrait, macro, etc), where as the K10 has the manual type modes (M, AV, TV). For the beginners you can use the automatic modes right away and get some good pictures and get used to the camera, then start using the program/manual modes to learn about aperture, DOF, shutter speed, etc. With the K10, you'll need to learn all that right off the bat and it may be a little frustrating when you miss that really cute shot because you didn't have the ISO or f-stop set correctly.