Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #76
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
But when you are arrogant and obdurate you are frequently correct as well
Yeah. Don't you just hate it when that happens?

01-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #77
Pentaxian

I'm sure he believes he's always right
Naw, sometimes I deliberately post crap to see if anyone is paying attention.
01-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #78
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
shooting with only your phone for a week to get back to appreciating the cleanliness of DSLR
I can attest that no matter what the shooting conditions are, my iPhone cam produces grainier and softer images with hideously less DR than that from my K-5 + DA 12-24
Pretty unfair comparison, me thinks...
01-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #79
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mika. Quote
I don't buy that marketing propaganda. The cost to produce the bigger sensor should actually be lower than the cost to produce the smaller sensor. The smaller sensor has greater miniaturization than the larger sensor.
I guess the Q should cost more than the 645D.

01-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #80
Pentaxian

What TS seems to be saying/seeing is that the total FOV and the total amount of OOF areas count toward a FF "look"
This of course does not stand once that picture is cropped.
I don't agree with his point/observation, but I'd just give him the benefit of doubt at this point.
01-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #81
Site Supporter

Is there not a cheese thread we can resurrect?
01-11-2012, 12:15 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
You mean, this one doesn't stink enough, we need Limburger too? Whew!
01-11-2012, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #83
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/72533-i-had-cheese-sandwich-14.html

01-11-2012, 05:57 AM   #84
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mika. Quote
After using APS-C cameras of various makes and with a huge variety of lenses, I find APS-C cameras and the format itself severely wanting. I compared my dad's old prints from his FF 35mm film camera and the images I and others get from their APS-C cameras, and have to say that given the same lenses mounted on the different camera bodies, the APS-C cameras always come short. There's just something missing. The images from the APS-C cameras look more "snapshot" like than "photographs". I think this has to do with the 1.5x crop factor that APS-C cameras suffer from. This 1.5x crop factor seems to destroy the gradual reduction in sharpness (defocus) and light falloff that is very characteristic of good FF photos and what unconsciously gives images from Full Frame 35mm cameras their "look". Forgive me, but this "look" is very hard to articulate, so I've attached some examples. But I think people who remember the old days of 35mm film, will definitely recognize "the look". I know I can very easily recognize it.

Some FF 35mm examples:

Did anyone notice that he was not only comparing FF and APS format, but also film and digital in the same question.....
01-11-2012, 06:42 AM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
last time a thread degenerated to Cheese and then ultimately closed I opened this one. let's see that limburger

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/127460-other-post-your-f...es-photos.html
01-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #86

I just purchased a full frame a few days ago and what I have noticed thus far in comparison to my K-5 are all of the obvious; wider field of view, shallower depth of field (Based on an equivalent lens), and greater low light capability (Up to three stops).

I don't see understand why "Full frame" and APS-C users can't seem to live side by side. Full frame for ultra wide shots and the crop for telephoto. Anything in between, either format should be more than usable. Am I missing something here? I guess I don't understand the reason for the dislike between formats.

There are a few great things about the Pentax that I have noticed since purchasing the Nikon Full Frame:

The Pentax button layout and usage are superb! The user interface is also quite good and less complex... and the shutter... I can't believe how quiet and solid the shutter sounds as opposed to the Nikon which is extremely loud and sounds like a machine gun when fired. I can't imagine shooting the Nikon inside of a quiet venue as the mirror slap is extremely loud and to some (Perhaps many) would be considered disturbing.
01-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IIGQ4U Quote
I just purchased a full frame a few days ago and what I have noticed thus far in comparison to my K-5 are all of the obvious; wider field of view, shallower depth of field (Based on an equivalent lens), and greater low light capability (Up to three stops).

I don't see understand why "Full frame" and APS-C users can't seem to live side by side. Full frame for ultra wide shots and the crop for telephoto. Anything in between, either format should be more than usable. Am I missing something here? I guess I don't understand the reason for the dislike between formats.

There are a few great things about the Pentax that I have noticed since purchasing the Nikon Full Frame:

The Pentax button layout and usage are superb! The user interface is also quite good and less complex... and the shutter... I can't believe how quiet and solid the shutter sounds as opposed to the Nikon which is extremely loud and sounds like a machine gun when fired. I can't imagine shooting the Nikon inside of a quiet venue as the mirror slap is extremely loud and to some (Perhaps many) would be considered disturbing.
i don't get it either. My main gripe isn't between formats it's having to own 2 brands so 2 sets of lenses that bugs me. otherwise they both have their sweet spots, and i totally agree on the Pentax ergonomics, I've tried all the DSLRs and it is by far for me the best layout, nikon being second
01-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #88

If Nikon is second, the other brands must be horrible! Perhaps it will just take some getting used to. I have also learned that Pentax lenses are a bargain, all of them.
01-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IIGQ4U Quote
If Nikon is second, the other brands must be horrible! Perhaps it will just take some getting used to. I have also learned that Pentax lenses are a bargain, all of them.
I can't stand the Canon and I used several. Nikon could be better but I didn't find the transition as bad. Sony is just Cludgy (the only word i can describe it with - though some like them)

EDIT - I did shoot with Nikon on film a fair bit so maybe that's why i feel comfortable even though it is a substantially changed camera) - they still manual focus in the wrong direction though
01-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #90

they still manual focus in the wrong direction though
Isn't the EV bar backwards too?

I think this whole thread was caused by the OP hijacking another thread and then getting banned from it. He's now banned from his own thread it seems.

Personally I can totally live with full frame, but when people say that anything shot on APS-C is a snapshot (like the OP said in the other thread) ... it sorta gets my dander up. I've seen pieces of art come from APS-C cameras with great composition, wonderful lighting, and emotion generating impact. I'm VERY happy with my K-5 and I was also pleased with my old K-x, so I want to defend them. Sorta silly, really