Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #1

K100D Super taking 3GB sized photos, cant open photos.

I have no clue what is going on.

Camera has been hardly uses by me since purchased new. Always stores in a cool, dry, camera bag. Never had a single issue with the camera.

I took it out today to take some shots. I snapped about 20 photos then I went to the preview screen on the camera and tried to zoom in with the rotary wheel on the camera and its says "camera cannot display this image". The photos display fine on the preview screen, just cant zoom in on them.

I pop the SD card into my computer to find that Windows wont read the file either. I then see that the file size is 3,199,232KB.

I have gone through and changed all settings to different res, different quality, all with the same result.
This happens with any of the half dozen or so SD cards I have.
I have left the battery's out for 10 minutes to no avail. These are fresh batteries to boot.

Any ideas? I'm lost here.

01-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you taken the camera down to factory settings?
It seems to be an odd problem to crop up now.
Format the SD cards and try again with new batteries and the camera in green mode or factory reset RAW mode.
01-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sounds like a formatting issue to me, format your card in camera and see if you still get the same problem.
01-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #4

Original Poster
Forgot to mention. I reset all the settings that I could and formatted multiple SD cards. None of which helped.

01-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Sounds like a bad card. If formatting doesn't fix it right off, I'd say replace it. In fact, I think I'd replace it either way. How old is the card in question?
01-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
Forum Member

i am pretty sure it's a SD card issue. had the same problem. took some pics and when i downloaded the pictures they are all pixalated and cropped. formatted the card (make sure to format with your camera and not with computer) and so far everything's ok now.
01-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #7

Original Poster
I forgot to mention that I had tried multiple SD cards, formatting them multiple times on the computer and in the camera. All of these cards were tested in other camera and worked fine.

It seems the camera is somehow writing bad information to the cards. How I dont know. I dont understand how the camera could go from working fine to doing this.

Again, I can see the preview of the photo I just took fine. But I can not zoom into the photo on the camera preview screen nor open the file on the computer.

Thanks

Last edited by Ash; 01-08-2012 at 12:14 AM.
01-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #8
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Hard to explain. This is not a common problem. There should be no tricks to get the camera to save images correctly.
Try a lower capacity SD card (not SDHC), formatted by the camera, and try again, both in RAW and JPEG formats.

01-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If the camera is formatting them badly, try formatting them in your PC, if you haven't already. Which operating system are you using?
01-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #10

Original Poster
Windows 7 64bit

I have formatted all the SD cards on both the computer and then the camera. Any combo I could think of to fix the issue.

The cards are 1 and 2GB in size.

I have read that sometimes there are issues when using a 64 bit OS. But what is worrying me is that I can not view the images zoomed in on the camera before the SD card even touches my computer.

I will fire up my old desktop Win7 32bit to see if there is a difference.

I doubt there will be a difference as the problem seems to be originating from the camera.
01-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm sure those are 3 MB files, not GBs. A 3 GB file will not fit on a 1 or 2 GB card.

I don't have an answer to your problem, though.
01-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #12

Original Poster
They are being reported as 3gb, but the files are corrupt and will not transfer to a windows PC.

I've tried different lenses

I've tried taking an existing known good image and putting on the card, the camera sees it and I can manipulate and zoom the image on the camera.

So it would appear the camera is writing corrupted data to the card.