Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #1

Storing Your Camera

Hello everyone,

First off, I'm a complete noob. I just got a K100D for christmas, and I know next to nothing about photography in general, though it has always interested me. Anyhow, I wonder how you store your camera's day-to-day. Should I be removing the lens and putting the covers on, or is it fine to leave the lens attached? Thanks in advance.

ps Any good beginner photography books you recommend?

12-27-2007, 01:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TakeshiKovacs Quote
Hello everyone,

First off, I'm a complete noob. I just got a K100D for christmas, and I know next to nothing about photography in general, though it has always interested me. Anyhow, I wonder how you store your camera's day-to-day. Should I be removing the lens and putting the covers on, or is it fine to leave the lens attached? Thanks in advance.

ps Any good beginner photography books you recommend?
I always have a lens attached to my camera. Just make sure that the front of the camera is filled with either a lens or a cover at all times to prevent things from getting into the camera.

There are a number of books available. I would start at the local library. Don't restrict yourself to books on digital photography. The principals of framing, exposure, etc. are the same.
12-27-2007, 01:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Takeshi and Welcome to the forum.

You don't have to take the lense off the camera when not in use. Actually, if you do, you're only adding the possibility of dust entering and settling on the censor.

Just keep the camera in a dry and "clean" environment.
12-27-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm relatively new to dslr's myself, but I found the magic lantern guide for the k100d/k110d very helpful. Of course the owner's manual is a good place to start, but the magic lantern book was more helpful in figuring out when to use certain controls to achieve certain results. I found mine on Amazon and I thought it was priced very reasonably.

As far as storage, I keep my lens on and have read other much more experienced users who have given this advise. Good luck w/ your pics and hope you enjoy your new cam! And I think you'll find this site a great resource with some very helpful people!

12-27-2007, 07:28 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
My camera and a couple of the more useful lenses (one always attached to the body) plus battery grip and (hopefully) spare memory cards are generally stored in a camera bag, ready to be grabbed at a moment's notice. The bag, and all other lenses etc are kept in a cool/dry/relatively dust-free cupboard.
12-27-2007, 07:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I throw in a couple of regenerative silica gel air-dryers (perforated cans) into the bag.

Last edited by Duck Dodgers; 12-27-2007 at 07:43 PM. Reason: added pic
12-27-2007, 09:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'll just add my $0.02 here.
If you live where you'll often wake up to a beautiful sunrise store your camera with your best landscape lens on.

On the other hand if you can often wake up to a deer on you front lawn store your best wildlife lens on.

With just 1 lens to choose from it's a no-brainer, but when you start to collect more you'll thank me for that bit of advice.
12-28-2007, 03:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I'll just add my $0.02 here.
If you live where you'll often wake up to a beautiful sunrise store your camera with your best landscape lens on.

On the other hand if you can often wake up to a deer on you front lawn store your best wildlife lens on.

With just 1 lens to choose from it's a no-brainer, but when you start to collect more you'll thank me for that bit of advice.
You know what ... i have never through of that Stu ... thanks for the good tip there.

12-28-2007, 05:25 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, great advice. Oh, and I ordered the magic lantern book, thanks vagrant10.
12-28-2007, 06:48 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Welcome to the forums.

There is another book that you may want. It is called "The Idiot's Guide to Digital Photography". I like the series because its written in an easy to understand fashion.

But hey, you have a Pentax camera and you’re on a good forum. You are starting on a good foot.