Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I still highly recommend the k7....its soooooo lovely.

01-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #17

Revisiting this for a quick minute....

I have an opportunity to pick up a barely used k-r at a price that's right "on budget" for me at the moment.

Bottom line, given that both image quality and accurate color reproduction are equally critical for my application, I'd like the opinions of those who know more than I do--and that's everybody here--which you all think is the more suitable model? In the end, it looks like the "biggest" difference in the two--for my specific purposes--is the white balance adjustment for Kelvin temperature. Is that really going to give the best shot at reproducing those extremely difficult colors on either end of the color spectrum? Especially red. I'm sure the k-r will give me better than my k100ds, but will the k-7 give me as good or better than the k-r?

I don't generally shoot at high ISO's, but occasionally shoot in low light; it sounds like that might be a factor--but not much of one. But all else being even close to equal, and I think for my purposes, even any difference in IQ is not significant enough for me to worry about, which will give the better accuracy on color? In your opinions. So, maybe my bottom line is color alone....

Thanks very much and to the OP, sorry if I've hijacked your thread too much!

In all other respects, I'm sure I can live with either and they'll give me a lot more than what I'm using now.
01-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It's OK I'm also debating waiting a month for the CP show....
01-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Last month I had the K-x, K-7 and K-r (and other older bodies), I've spent one month shooting with all three and decided at the end to sell the K-r while keeping the K-x and K-7. The reasons were:

1) K-r has a better resale value
2) K-x can pretty much do what K-r can in term of image quality and high ISO. I got a super deal too, like $100 for the body with less than 9K actuations
3) K-7 build is simply the best, very sturdy, WR, direct access buttons, IQ up to ISO1600 is very usable, 2 wheels, etc. The k-x and k-r feel like a toy compared to the K-7

01-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #20
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
The k-x and k-r feel like a toy compared to the K-7
The challenge is to convey this feeling to people that have only used a K-x/K-r.
01-14-2012, 12:48 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@ScreamingIdiot, I think you are confusing different issues, namely: your requirements at the photo class vs your desire for a new camera (CBA)

IMHO, for the photo class you are good to go with any reasonable DSLR, so K-m/K-2000 should be fine

For your upgrade requirement (AKA "desire"), you have:
- better sensor route K-x/K-r/K-5
- better body quality K-200/K10/K20/K-7/K-5
- better everything K-5

Just my 5-cents worth
01-14-2012, 06:01 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
3) K-7 build is simply the best, very sturdy, WR, direct access buttons, IQ up to ISO1600 is very usable, 2 wheels, etc. The k-x and k-r feel like a toy compared to the K-7
That, too, has had me leaning toward the k-7....

Thanks!

01-16-2012, 05:56 AM   #23

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll just repeat what I said a while back and others-

The K-X (and K-R) feel very basic after handling the K-7.
Try it and you won't go back
01-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #24

Photos: Gallery
Having used the K-r and K-7, I preferred the feel of the K-r which being more compact, suited my needs better. The K-7 is undoubtedly sturdier (and heavier) but the K-r doesn't feel like a toy at all to me, quite the reverse.
In fact when auditioning cameras I was surprised how well built it felt, when compared to the Canon 500/550d I also tried.
One (albeit superficial) think I really liked about the K-7 is it's silky smooth and quiet shutter/mirror mechanism, compared to that of the K-r which is erm, not.