Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-r vs. K-7

PLAN B: In the event a new K-r replacement is not launched at CES, I need a camera and I need it quick for my Photography II semester. I don't think my K2000 will be up to it, especially at night scenes.

To me, it looks like K-r is more sensetive, while K-7 has more professional features. Price wise they are the same right now... so what to do, what to do?

01-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Night scenes would be on a tripod wouldn't they? In which case the K2000 would be fine.

That said, if you really need better ISO performance than your K2000 can delivery then it would be nuts to buy a K-7. Buy a K-x or K-r instead which really will solve your problem.
01-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I've got both at this moment. Your assessment on the sensor versus features tradeoff is accurate. I don't know that the K-7 noise, when printed, is entirely as big a deal as it's been made out to be, but I've not printed enough between the two to say for certain. So what lenses do you have available? To keep at the lower end of the ISO (or gain) range, faster lenses will keep you at 'reasonable' ISO ratings on the K-7. Interface is similar on both cameras. Handling wise is a matter of taste - though certainly more full-featured on the K-7.
01-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Is K-7 weather sealed?

01-09-2012, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

It is.
01-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Tough Choice
01-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScreamingIdiot Quote
Tough Choice
It depends on who's making it. I'd pick the K-7 any day (or night) this choice was offered.

But you should also consider sticking to your K-m - the K10D sensor is not that bad and a better NR plugin may be all the investment you need to make.
01-10-2012, 03:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My like-new K-7 is for sale if interested.

Jason

01-10-2012, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Get the K-7

Its a much, much nicer body. The tradeoff in IQ is worth it IMO. ISO 1600 is very usable. For night shots you are going to be doing long exposures at base ISO anyways. I have some good techniques for coming up with super clean, noise free night shots that I developed when shooting with a bridge camera with a tiny sensor. I've made prints (12mp) up to poster size from that lowly camera that look more than decent. My advice for night shots? Take like at least 10 images with the same settings off a tripod (lock wb, shoot manual, focus manually), then get a program like photomatix, which is what I use, and stack the images until all the noise averages out. Works great for panoramas too. Just take 9-10 shots and move to the next point. Be sure to use a timer or even better a cable release. I hope this helps. You can get decent night shots with a tripod off your k2000 that way with some stacking and post processing. I just had to make the same decision. The k-r vs the k-7. The k-7's body is quite sexy and very sturdy feeling. If you can handle both. I'm sure you will make the same decision. The k-7 also has higher resolution FWIW. At base isos they are both pretty clean. You can easily pull off 1/15 to 1/10 second exposures handheld with practice on the k-7 that are quite sharp. Trust me, you can get a lot of extremely usable images from this camera, plus so many controls are at your fingertips. Wading through menus to change things will cost you shots. The dual wheels are marvelous in manual mode too. Especially with older A lenses and stop down metering. The extra weight of the k-7 will give you steadier shots too, which means you can shoot at slower and slower shutter speeds at lower isos. Have I convinced you yet?

EDIT: for web stuff and on screen 3200 is decent too. Especially in black and white. I bet you could even print nice 8x10s.
01-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #10

+1 for the K7. I have owned both and the sequence went KR then K7....partly because I found a smoking deal on one and saved myself a little coin by making the move, but mostly for all the wonderful reasons listed above…even if I didn’t save any money, I still would have picked the K7.

Everything said is spot on and was reason enough for me to make the switch, but in addition, the ability to throw a grip on there was a big one, as well as having the top screen and funnily enough, the lock on the mode wheel. Somehow that thing always spun on the KR, but not on the 7!

The only times I missed the KR were in really low light situations where I realistically needed a tripod anyways!....and like it's been said, if you're on a tripod, it's a moot point......For what it's worth, whenever I thought I was missing the ISO of the KR I just reflected on the loud plasticky slap of the KR shutter compared to the whispery kiss of the K7 shutter, and I was good again…The KR admittedly sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me.

That being said, I don't know what kind of price you're seeing on both, but if you can make up the difference between those prices and the price of a second hand K5, then you would get the great ISO performance and the K7/K5 build and features. I eventually caved in autumn and bumped up to the K5 before the resale price fell off on my K7.

Fingers crossed that something comes out of CES this week and all the prices fall even further for you!?!? ;-)
01-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went from a K-X to a K-7 and love it.
the Weather sealed I don't care for as I don't have weather sealed lenses. Not the best at high ISO...but besides that I love it.
the top panel lcd is very handy for glancing at.
the extra controls make me think about focus area more and therefore I change it more, same with the other functions.

You can't really appreciate those features until you're using it. Before I did upgrade I was thinking why do I need a top panel lcd when I have the back one...but it is handier...

I'll upgrade to the K-5 when I can afford it but it's highly recommended by me.
01-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
Forum Member

I was glad to see this post, as I'm having the same debate with myself. I've decided, at least for now, to be on the lookout for a good deal on a k-7, but the k-r is certainly not off the radar. I really like the looks of the k-7, and the sturdy build. Though I've never held one in my hands, it looks sturdy and everything I've read about it confirms that. Plus, it has the ability to adjust for kelvin temperature (since accurate color reproduction is key for me). And, I think, from what I've read, that although the k-r has more WB functions than my k100ds, it doesn't have that feature.

And, am I silly to want to have the top LCD? I do refer to it on mine, and not sure I'd "like" a model without. Or is that being too picky and/or too set in my ways?

Both models are a bit out of my price range right now, but my k100ds is doing the job just fine for now, so I'm not in a hurry. (But, boy, would I love to get my hands on a k-7 in the not-too-distant future.)
01-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #13
Forum Member

X-posted with dinneenp, and see that I'm not totally crazy about wanting the top LCD! LOL....
01-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Any digital DALR is going to be a ton better at night scenes (in terms of high ISO performance, which is relevant only if for some reason you have a teacher who hasn't heard of tripods) than any picture ever taken with 35mm film. It's crazy to think the K2000 somehow won't be up to the task when it's already better at high ISO than anything anyone ever used in the first 150 years or so of photography.

I mean, upgrade if you for whatever other reason, but the fraction of a stop improvement you might see between the K2000 and the K-x or K-r is insignifcant in the grand scheme of things. And while the K-7 will be a step up in practically every *other* way, it won't even give you that fraction of a stop advantage over the K2000.
01-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Easiest thing is to check dxomark for how these cameras compare:

DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

K2000 is K-m right?

K-r is better in DR in particular - more than 1Ev advantage compared to K-m. But high ISO performance is only slightly better - between 1/3 and 1/2Ev.

I'd stick to the K-m for now, unless there are other reasons for getting a second camera. Sensor performance doesn't justify the move to another camera than the K-5.