Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2007, 06:25 PM   #1

6.2mp APS-C and a 14mp FF

Would it be a good idea if Pentax started developing a 6.2mp APS-C and a 14mp FF? based on the sensor technology used for the K10D replacement?

If Pentax were to introduce a FF camera in say January 2009 I reckon 14mp would be a good target. Using the same pixel pitch (saves development and production cost) an APS-C sensor would have 6.2mp. This would only make sense if the 6.2mp would gain another stop high ISO IQ over the 14mp APS-C sensor, but if so, it would set new high ISO benchmarks for APS-C sensors. I could imagine the following January 2009 line up:

K310D: APS-C, 6.2mp
K300D: APS-C, 14mp

K21D: APS-C, 6.2mp
K20D: APS-C, 14mp

K1D: FF, 14mp

(Sorry, just a sucker for speculation)

12-27-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CSpronken Quote
Would it be a good idea if Pentax started developing a 6.2mp APS-C and a 14mp FF? based on the sensor technology used for the K10D replacement?

If Pentax were to introduce a FF camera in say January 2009 I reckon 14mp would be a good target. Using the same pixel pitch (saves development and production cost) an APS-C sensor would have 6.2mp. This would only make sense if the 6.2mp would gain another stop high ISO IQ over the 14mp APS-C sensor, but if so, it would set new high ISO benchmarks for APS-C sensors. I could imagine the following January 2009 line up:

K310D: APS-C, 6.2mp
K300D: APS-C, 14mp

K21D: APS-C, 6.2mp
K20D: APS-C, 14mp

K1D: FF, 14mp

(Sorry, just a sucker for speculation)
with no lens family to support it--- I don't think so.
12-28-2007, 07:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
although full frame sensors offer (for the same MP count as ASP-C sensors, less noise) there is not much advantage to going full frame for pentax.

it would not be a simple upgrade of the K10D because all pentax DSLRs have been designed from the ground us as DSLRs around the ASP-C sensor size. For a completely new camera this would mean new shutter and complete body redesign. They would need to start over again (or perhaps build from something like a PZ-1)

Although some people are "hoping" for a FF DSLR from pentax, it is less important to me. I would prefer if they are going to spend a ton of development money, to add MORE LENSES, and perhaps concentrate on improved image quality and higher ISO within the existing sensor size and MP count.
12-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
with no lens family to support it--- I don't think so.
Well with Hoya backing them up, who knows what they can come up with in 13 months.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
although full frame sensors offer (for the same MP count as ASP-C sensors, less noise) there is not much advantage to going full frame for pentax.

it would not be a simple upgrade of the K10D because all pentax DSLRs have been designed from the ground us as DSLRs around the ASP-C sensor size. For a completely new camera this would mean new shutter and complete body redesign. They would need to start over again (or perhaps build from something like a PZ-1)

Although some people are "hoping" for a FF DSLR from pentax, it is less important to me. I would prefer if they are going to spend a ton of development money, to add MORE LENSES, and perhaps concentrate on improved image quality and higher ISO within the existing sensor size and MP count.
Perhaps it's still a bit early for them to go FF, but in the long run it seems inevitable, unless the new 14mp APS-C sensor really is that much better.

12-28-2007, 01:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CSpronken Quote
Well with Hoya backing them up, who knows what they can come up with in 13 months.

Perhaps it's still a bit early for them to go FF, but in the long run it seems inevitable, unless the new 14mp APS-C sensor really is that much better.
Well there should be the 20mp sensor after the 14, and opportunities to mulilayer them, expand the dynamic field, increase the ISO etc. It's sort of like asking for a hard drive for your computer in the 5 1/2" full height form factor. It ain't going to happen.

why do I even slightly care what the form factor of the sensor is IF (and only IF) I can produce superior results. Optics are the be cost driver and the limiting factor on photography. As yet no one has defined the upper limits of how 'good' a particular sized sensor can get.

the entire SLR industry has a serious risk of becoming irrelevant. With long zooms
now available, it only takes, a really good one with a really smart small sensor, and a small pocket camera can send the SLR's the way of mechanical cash registers.

why would you buy a bag full of freight for photography, is something that fits in your shirt pocket will truly take pictures 'just as good'.
12-28-2007, 01:26 PM   #6

Original Poster
Well there should be the 20mp sensor after the 14, and opportunities to mulilayer them, expand the dynamic field, increase the ISO etc. It's sort of like asking for a hard drive for your computer in the 5 1/2" full height form factor. It ain't going to happen.

why do I even slightly care what the form factor of the sensor is IF (and only IF) I can produce superior results. Optics are the be cost driver and the limiting factor on photography. As yet no one has defined the upper limits of how 'good' a particular sized sensor can get.

the entire SLR industry has a serious risk of becoming irrelevant. With long zooms
now available, it only takes, a really good one with a really smart small sensor, and a small pocket camera can send the SLR's the way of mechanical cash registers.

why would you buy a bag full of freight for photography, is something that fits in your shirt pocket will truly take pictures 'just as good'.
True, but depends on sensor technology advancements, those advancements haven't been all that great the last few years, certainly not large enough to make the IQ advantage of FF irrelevant.
12-29-2007, 10:11 AM   #7

All it would take in this case to make SLR-s relevant again would be to use the same "smart small sensor" technology to make an even better APS-C or FF sensor. No one ever complains that high ISO IQ is too good ...