Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2006, 11:20 AM   #1
Xgear

What is the deal with the Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 lens?

What is the deal with the Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 lens?
Is this out of production? Looks like a great lens from pictures I have seen and the price is (was) right but impossible to find unless you pay premium on eBay.
What is a good prime like this for the money? Anyone know the Pentax SMCP-DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited it is more $$ like 275.00 with 50 buck mail in rebate about what 50mm f/1.4 gets on eBay.

12-23-2006, 11:35 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
looks like they still make em maybe just not that many
12-23-2006, 12:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not out of production; in VERY high demand. Production not keeping pace with sales. Try getting on a major e-retailers "notify when avaliable" list; i.e. B&H or Adorama, if you want one the next time they are in stock.
12-23-2006, 12:16 PM   #4
Forum Member

I asked my local retailer if they'd get any. he said he had to order from his Pentax guy. Got into the store within a few days...

12-23-2006, 12:27 PM   #5

Something weird...

... is going on! Just received my copy of FA50/1.4 from B&H... but everything within the package indicates it been made in 2003- manual print date, description of available Pentax lenses etc....
Anyway I am super happy (as of some my 40 years old M42 lenses...) so why bother? But still some superb primes (IMO) as FA50/1.4 and FA35/2.0 and (rather endless You may guess...)- would be nice to remanufactured

Best and merry Christmas, JR
12-24-2006, 08:34 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See the "don't shoot me... 50mm f1.4" post in the lens forum in pentaxforums.

Several of us just got the lense last week from Beach Camera for $199 and after the rebate the final cost $149.

I'm VERY pleased with the pitcures I am getting with this lens and the k100d. Beach had the lens in stock a couple of days ago. I didn't check today...
12-24-2006, 12:59 PM   #7
Xgear

searched this entire list with no luck

I have searched this entire list with no luck.
B&H is the best. hope I get a email when & if they get in stock.

DO NOT ORDER FROM Fotoconnection.com
They are complete rip-offs, site has it in stock will ship in 24 hours with free next day shipping “sure thing right”. Look in to it FotoConnection (1stopcamera.com, Inoax.Com, TheNewConnection) Customer Ratings, Reviews and Prices at ResellerRatings
  • B&H Photovideo
  • New Egg
  • Beach Camera
  • BuyDig.com
  • IBuyDigital
  • Dbuys
  • Central Digital
  • 17th Street Photo
  • Zip Zoom Fly
  • Norman Camera
  • Digital Foto Club
  • OneCall.com
  • ABT Electronics
  • Abes Of Maine
  • Etronics.com
  • Digital 1234
  • Adorama
  • Butterfly Photo
  • Canoga Camera
  • 47th Street Photo: Ebay
  • Pro Feel
  • Page Computers
  • Tri-State Camera
  • RainbowTronics.com

12-24-2006, 09:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to agree with jfdavis. If you keep looking and put your name on everybody's "notify when in stock" list you will eventually be able to pick one up. Alternatively if you can do w/o auto focus, you can go to eek bay or KEH and look for the A 50MM 1.4 or 1.7. Both very excellent lenses and you will still have auto aperture. I'd say that without a doubt it is the sharpest lens in my bag, especially from about f2.8 on up.

NaCl(excellent lens, be patient)H2O
12-25-2006, 01:37 PM   #9

QuoteQuote:
Anyone know the Pentax SMCP-DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited it is more $$ like 275.00 with 50 buck mail in rebate
No experience with the 50mm primes, as I'm new to Pentax and have just started playing with photography again. However you can see my post over in the lenses subforum for my thoughts on the SMC P-DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited. So far I think it's a great lens.
12-25-2006, 07:44 PM   #10
Xgear

I found the lenses forum :)

Thanks everyone
If any thing I found the lenses forum
12-25-2006, 08:23 PM   #11
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Xgear Quote
Thanks everyone
If any thing I found the lenses forum
Just keep watching here. Those of us with too much time on our hands, and the beginnings of LBA, look at most of those sites everyday.

Much to the chagrin of some others here, I will usually start a new thread when I see some of the hard to get lenses at one of the major marketers.

Meanwhile, you should look here regurlarly Pentax SLR Lens Discussion

My next acquisition will be the FA 35mm F2 Prime.

I just received my 50mm F1.4 this week and, while it is a great lense , the crop factor makes it a bit long for everyday use but wonderful for portrait use and some other uses.

Stay tuned......

Ed
12-25-2006, 09:56 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote
Just keep watching here. Those of us with too much time on our hands, and the beginnings of LBA, look at most of those sites everyday.

Much to the chagrin of some others here, I will usually start a new thread when I see some of the hard to get lenses at one of the major marketers.

Meanwhile, you should look here regurlarly Pentax SLR Lens Discussion

My next acquisition will be the FA 35mm F2 Prime.

I just received my 50mm F1.4 this week and, while it is a great lense , the crop factor makes it a bit long for everyday use but wonderful for portrait use and some other uses.

Stay tuned......

Ed
I really have to wonder if I'm just cursed with this lens. My first copy front-focused consistently on 3 different K10D bodies (I started a thread about it). The replacement from B&H actually front-focuses worse AND has horrible purple fringing as well... it almost makes me wish I'd kept the first one. If I can get another copy that only has a focus issue, I'll happily keep it at this point.