Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #1

An observation, or am I just biased?

Just musing on something a bit, and wondering if it's my imagination. I'll start by saying that when I learned to use a film SLR back in the mid 80s, and having a sister who minored in photography at RIT, Pentax was NOT the slr of choice for most people I knew.... So when I upgraded from my ultrazoom P & S, it wasn't the first dslr I looked at. But, after extensive research and buying both a k100d super and an Olympus micro 4/3 to compare, I sent the Oly back. I've been delighted with my camera, have caught the "bug" again, and am hoping to upgrade to a k-7 or k-r at some point.

So, I didn't used to be biased in favor of Pentax. But yesterday I went to Best Buy to pick something up, and wandered through the camera section. Well, what an "interesting" experience. They had Sony, Canon, and Nikon dslr's there, all with batteries in them so you could "test" them. How do I put this tactfully, so I don't offend anyone who loves their Sony, Canon, or Nikon as much as they love their Pentax? I couldn't believe how much "less sturdy" both the bodies and the lenses looked and felt. I felt no nice "heft" in my hand, and the lenses just didn't have the same look or feel. Even the largest of them, comparable in size to mine or larger. Of course, mind you, I'm comparing against a very old Pentax and haven't had the pleasure of handling a newer one. So my observations might be moot (except that I understand the k-7 is built like a tank). In the few seconds I took to play around with each, they seemed fine. But the physical enclosures just didn't do it for me.... The Sony was an open-box unit, very nicely priced, but I couldn't do it.... I want another Pentax.

Am I hooked?

01-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by amc654 Quote
Am I hooked?
You are doomed. All that remains is to give into LBA.
01-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is not brand specific, but the "feel" can be deceiving. Some products like computer mouses may have a piece of metal inside just to give a heft feel. If the same mouse was light, some might consider it "cheap". The same applies to many consumer products where people judge them based on "feel". The truth is built quality has little to do with weight, but how they were put together. What I know for certain is that lenses that wobble cannot maintain their optical alignments, heavy or light.
01-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Answer: Yes.

You are not only hooked, but you've swallowed the Pentax line of 'thinking different.'

If it's any consolation, I was at a photo critique meet up last night and out of 22 budding photogs there mostly canikons with a few fuji P&Ser's, I was the only Pentax shooter. I mentioned that I have way too much Pentax gear and the leader remarked, 'can you have too much Pentax gear?' I responded simply, 'no,' and had a smile on my face the rest of the evening. Yep, your hooked and different. Wear it as a badge of creativity.

01-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You are doomed. All that remains is to give into LBA.
Ok, so this may be a stupid question (though I am a newbie), what is LBA?

QuoteQuote:
The truth is built quality has little to do with weight, but how they were put together.
Yes, I understand that weight doesn't necessarily equal quality, but when you are using something (anything, not just a camera) on a daily basis, how it feels in your hand or to your touch, or looks to your eye, impacts your satisfaction, or not, with it. Like a mouse, for example--I need an ergonomic mouse, and weight doesn't matter to me--how it feels when I use it does! I like a more traditional-feeling camera, having learned on an old film model. Maybe you can't teach an old dog (and believe me, I am one!) new tricks, heh?
01-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Many people complain about the plasticky feeling of...plastic.
01-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm of the same opinion. When shopping for my K-r (and first SLR, digital or otherwise), I thoroughly checked out the T2i and D3100 as well, as they were the Canikon models in my price range.

The T2i felt horribly cheap and plasticky, I didn't like the ergonomics of it at all, especially the way I had to contort my finger to position it well on the shutter release. I didn't care for the menu system much either. The other annoyance with Canon is the unnecessary electronics on the lenses. Having to modify manual lenses to add a chip that tells the camera it's allowed to confirm focus is just silly.

The D3100 felt a bit better in hand, but it just didn't grab me. I hated its UI, and one look through the "guide mode" told me it was very entry level, designed for someone who wants a better P&S, rather than an enthusiast who will make full use of it. Researching it further killed the idea of Nikon for me, as they gimp their sub-$1200 cameras so badly you can't even meter with manual lenses.

So, I kept going back to the K-r, which I ended up purchasing new for a couple hundred bucks less than the other options. Love the ergonomics, content with the menu system (being fully paged rather than scrolling really helps), and it doesn't feel like it'll get scuffed up from looking at it the wrong way. Add to that the features we take for granted, 35 years of K mount lenses to draw on, in body SR, the green button, etc. and it was a no brainer.

Ok, so this may be a stupid question (though I am a newbie), what is LBA?
Mouse over it. Lens buying addition. We all suffer from it to some degree, it's highly contagious (and seemingly incurable).

01-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

LBA: : Lens Buying Addiction.

I think most of have it or have experienced it at some time.
01-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yesterday I bought a couple of filters for my newly acquired STak105 and STak24. The man at the shop asked what camera I was using. K100DS. Then he asked me if I was using old lenses - interesting instant jump! Yes - mainly STaks. "Nice!" This shop has a big line of business in selling antique gear. I wanted the aesthetic of the STaks, and I am getting them to use as a photographer, so that gave an end point to collecting - which helps fit the budget.

One of the gigs I do regularly is a conference of engineers who develop top end products for top end industry sectors. Two of us (members) do the pictures. The other makes jet engines at the day job and uses Canon with all the modern kit - all designed to work together. I talk to the other memebrs of the society and show them mine - and point out the design philosophy I like about Pentax - extreme backward compatibitily (my lenses are nearly as old as me, the camera is 3-4 years, the flash is 30 years and the batteries are AA NiMH/Alkaline - and so flat batteries (or lost in baggage loss) can be remedied by buying something at the nearest shop that has batteries - e.g. hotel snack shop - happened one time (Qantas did not transfer my bag to United at Sydney - took 3 days to get it). The other advantage is that all the kit I travel with - camera, flash, shaver, toothbrush all use the same batteries. Only the laptop and the mouse use differnet batteries - but then IT guys have never been caught in the desert with a missing nut to their motorbike. (Pirsig - how much is a nut worth? In the shop, 10c; in the desert when it is gone - your life!)

On NY eve I had lunch with some friends. They had Canon. My complaint about the feel of their stuff was - too big an chuncky (stretches my hands around it - and I am a normal size man) and far too heavy. I already complain about my k100DS body being 50% heavier and 30% bigger (linear dimensions) than the old MX - and why not compare with a classic which came out of the same stable.
01-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #10

Original Poster
One of the reasons I ultimately decided on Pentax was indeed the backward compatibility of the lenses--thinking I had an old K-mount telephoto around somewhere. Found the lens, but it wasn't a K-mount and didn't bother to get an adapter (I hear they don't work all that great).... So I'm still using just one lens, for now. I do believe, though, that I'm getting an LBA, but my wallet doesn't allow me to come down with a full-blown case. However, I'm looking and planning so I'll be ready to pounce once the wallet has some extra $$ in it....

QuoteQuote:
My complaint about the feel of their stuff was - too big an chuncky (stretches my hands around it - and I am a normal size man) and far too heavy. I already complain about my k100DS body being 50% heavier and 30% bigger (linear dimensions) than the old MX - and why not compare with a classic which came out of the same stable.
That's interesting.... The bigger Canons I saw yesterday were too large dimensionally for my hands, but I am a woman and have small hands. Yet I really like the size and weight of my k100ds. I use it some days literally for hours and it's fine. My first P & S was an Olympus C-2100 "UZI"--big and built like a tank. Then I went to a Panasonic FZ series--smaller and lighter than the Oly, and that does have its advantages at times. But when I got the k100ds, and started working with it, I find I really love the larger dimensions and heavier weight. My Pany feels and looks like a toy next to it!

Last edited by amc654; 01-11-2012 at 12:40 PM.
01-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
LBA: : Lens Buying Addiction.

I think most of have it or have experienced it at some time.
And if we are not experiencing it at the moment it is only because it is lying dormant. It always comes back!
01-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I luv LBA
01-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

One of the reasons I ultimately decided on Pentax was indeed the backward compatibility of the lenses--thinking I had an old K-mount telephoto around somewhere. Found the lens, but it wasn't a K-mount and didn't bother to get an adapter (I hear they don't work all that great).... So I'm still using just one lens, for now. I do believe, though, that I'm getting an LBA, but my wallet doesn't allow me to come down with a full-blown case. However, I'm looking and planning so I'll be ready to pounce once the wallet has some extra $$ in it....
LBA on the cheap is a whole monster in and of itself.

So far its landed me all of this, not counting my K-x and the kit lens I shot this image with.

Nothing cost more than $30 here, and most averaged under $10.

You don't need cash for LBA!

01-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
You don't need cash for LBA!
Oh, gawd, don't tell me that.... LOL.

Actually, I've been seeing some very inexpensive older lenses, but am trying to decide which one (only one!) to buy next. Then it'll be on to the next one, or two, or three. And isn't that one of the beauties of Pentax--you can get an arsenal of lenses for what you'd pay for one new digital lens for a Canon or Nikon..... Or is it a curse?

I spy a Minolta there--can't read which one it is, though. Am torn between selling my Minolta to raise $$ for a new body, or keeping it and dragging it out of retirement.
01-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
Forum Member

LBA just made me buy a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. And I'm looking at the 70-200 f2.8. Trying to avoid the "buy every old manual lens i can find" disease. But a set of reversing rings is calling me to macro shots...