Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I can't believe no one is protecting the Pentax brand!
And you think your complaining is helping anything? Even if Ricoh were being self serving by making sure nobody misses the fact that they acquired Pentax, or showing off their other products when there's nothing much new on the Pentax front (yet), your particular brand of alarmist hyperbole is only likely to alienate more people from the brand, if they're new to it, or not committed to it already. Or maybe that's your goal, so you can shout "Hey, I told you so!"

Either way, it's getting old. Keep it on Facebook, please.

01-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
your particular brand of alarmist hyperbole is only likely to alienate more people from the brand, if they're new to it, or not committed to it already
I'm new to Pentax (started with a K-x) and if I knew nothing about its history I would perhaps get scared and start thinking of jumping ship.

I love the brand and want to see it live but not enough to like start an Occupy campaign or something...
01-12-2012, 01:22 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I dont understand all the whoaaa. I have been using pentax from about age 12, the old man gave me a spotmatic, still have it. I switched during the 80's to olympus and my first digital was an E300 olympus. Then we seen pentax dslr, have old glass, its a no brainer, we switched back to pentax. My old man continues to ask me "when are you gonna get a Nikon"? he has a D3.
My response, Dad the best camera you can own is the one you have on you at that moment.

Cheers
Macca
01-12-2012, 01:47 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I'll wait for the revolution... And I'll get the picture.
I already got that picture and it's framed!

01-12-2012, 01:51 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Pentax is obviously Ricoh's biach and there's not a thing anyone can do about that. They'll strip the company down to it's undies and do what they will with it.
01-12-2012, 02:20 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
They'll strip the company down to it's undies and do what they will with it.
Mmm, semi-naked Pentax! Will it be 'Work Safe'?
01-12-2012, 02:24 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Funny, just saw Killer Elite tonight. What camera do you think an ex-SAS guy is using for surveillance? Ricoh!
01-12-2012, 02:48 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll wait for the revolution... And I'll get the picture.
When the revolution comes I'm gonna be up front, with my finger on the trigger of a 12 gauge pump.

When the revolution comes I'm gonna be right there, with my nine in the air and braids in my hair

-- Coolio --

I'll need a few months notice to grow my hair out, please. (Will those of us mortified by the notion of referring to ourselves as "Pentaxian" be allowed to participate?)

01-12-2012, 03:18 AM   #24
Veteran Member

The only reason I use Pentax cameras is so that someday this forum will upgrade my status to 'Pentaxian'!!

If Pentax disapears... WHAT HAPPENS TO ME!!?!!

WHAT HAPPENS TO MY DREAMS!!?!!
01-12-2012, 03:39 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Quote
Mmm, semi-naked Pentax! Will it be 'Work Safe'?
As long as you don't poke it with a stick. ;-)
01-12-2012, 03:46 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
As long as you don't poke it with a stick. ;-)
Or rattle it's cage.
01-12-2012, 03:51 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I think this calls for a new creative challenge. How about we do a "Pentax in it's Undies" Poster?
01-12-2012, 03:54 AM   #28
Pentaxian

It's ironic that Pentax should be subservient to Ricoh: I used to own an LX with sports VF and MD along with a 15mm F/3.5, 28mm Shift, 300 F4, 17mm FE etc etc way way back in 1978.. Where were Ricoh at that time? My mum recently gave me her XR-1 whilst my LX and MX are long gone.
01-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #29
Veteran Member

The only reason I use Pentax cameras is so that someday this forum will upgrade my status to 'Pentaxian'!!

If Pentax disapears... WHAT HAPPENS TO ME!!?!!

WHAT HAPPENS TO MY DREAMS!!?!!
Follow my lead. Post many inane comments. What counts is quantity, not quality. Yes, you too can spam your way to an elevated status! It's easy! It's fun! It's better than working for a living! Just don't think of naked Pentaxians -- that could get ugly.
01-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #30
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
And you think your complaining is helping anything? Even if Ricoh were being self serving by making sure nobody misses the fact that they acquired Pentax, or showing off their other products when there's nothing much new on the Pentax front (yet), your particular brand of alarmist hyperbole is only likely to alienate more people from the brand, if they're new to it, or not committed to it already. Or maybe that's your goal, so you can shout "Hey, I told you so!"

Either way, it's getting old. Keep it on Facebook, please.
Actually no. I'm not alarmist, and I don't care about people who are new to the brand. I'm glad there are new users to the brand, but my concern is more toward the folks like me who have been using Pentax for a few decades.

Over decades, I have paid for equipment that becomes part of my workflow. The equipment I use becomes familiar and becomes one less variable when I am out and about.

Since many of my photographic adventures revolve around being in another country than I live, I can't simply go to the local Pentax retailer and get any kind of replacement for anything that breaks or is stolen/lost.

The social contract or business contract that Pentax has implied to me over the years is as follows (and there are more than I mention here);
  • We don't market much and have few retail options.
  • Our products will fit your needs through a small product line that has been thought out thoroughly.
  • Our Quality will never let you down
  • Our prices will be competitive
  • Pentax lenses are first rate
  • System compatibility with all the bodies and lenses and legacy equipment

So for me, Pentax is not just another brand that sells cameras. Pentax has always delivered on the bullet points that I have listed.

Yearly, I budget a portion of my resources to new purchases when it comes to camera equipment, based upon enhancing to my workflow.
  • Before the *IstD, I would take one of my 35mm film bodies and my 645.
  • Post *IstD, I started buying DA lenses to offset the changed utility of my FF lenses. I still took my 645, but left my 35mm film bodies home.
  • K10D introduced higher megapixels and some advanced features and SR.
  • Post K10D, my K7 introduced video and the change in tripod heads and audio and made taking the 645 around limited to certain shoots/places.
  • Post K7 and now K5, the 1080p video and better IQ along with higher Megapixels have taken my 645 out of the equation

So you see, my passion is based on buying more Pentax and taking my workflow to the next level. If I can't get there with Pentax, I will have to switch and loose a tremendous investment.

If Ricoh is not interested in maintaining the relationship with me, they need to be honest and forthcoming. My frustration is that I use my equipment in a way that is very much dependant on the "Pentax Way" and a committed tool set.

I have no need for the toys that seem to be popping up from Pentax, I want the optical tools that made me stay with Pentax in the first place!

Alarmist? Sure. Getting old? I am.
Closed Thread