Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I went out to the 2012 CES Pentax YouTube video.

1) The video is labeled as Pentax and all they talk about is the GXR

The video is incorrectly labelled. The highlight was about the Ricoh GXR with M-mount.

2) The guy in the video is wearing a Ricoh shirt and doesn't stop for a second and correct the woman doing the interview that it's a Ricoh and not a Pentax.

She never once said it was a Pentax. She only said she was at the PENTAX RICOH booth, which is wrong, it is the RICOH PENTAX booth. Check the look that flashes across the guy's face when she reverses the names.

3) People don't know that Ricoh is the brain-trust behind the GXR and will think it was a Pentax idea, and further damage the Pentax name.

That's your opinion. I don't think "people" know much about any of this niche stuff. Photographers know Pentax from Ricoh. Personally, I think the GXR concept is brilliant now that they've made separate lens and mount modules.

4) The last bit of Pentax credibility is being traded off over the GXR.

So Pentax has no credibility now? Calm down and look at what you're written. Can you see now that this is just silly hyperbole?

I can't believe no one is protecting the Pentax brand! Go out to the YouTube video and SAY SOMETHING!

I can't believe that you would post one-liners over and over under the video. You sound like you need a shrink.
If anyone should be upset over this video, it's Ricoh and Ricoh users. The Ricoh name is placed behind Pentax by the interviewer ("Pentax-Ricoh booth") and the video is labelled Pentax when it's about a Ricoh product; probably because whoever put it up doesn't know who Ricoh is. There is no slight to Pentax here, just a mislabelled YouTube video. Pentax had nothing new for the show. It makes perfect sense that Ricoh chose to highlight their brand new, original and innovative M-mount system.

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-12-2012 at 08:40 AM.
01-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i'm still surprised that pentax still even exists..... talk about weak and ineffectual customer support, proper beta testing (of their dslr line), sdm issues et al.... i'm sure 'they' have no sleepless nights worrying whether 'we' are a contented lot... i'm happy that my pentax slrs and dslrs have been a pleasure to use, in spite of the myriad of technological woes, great and small, that they have been afflicted with...
i know that the canikons of the world have their share of woe similar to pentax's... so we are all in the same proverbial boat together... at least the boat is still afloat......for now.... thankfully the forum has been a salvation .... happy new year to us... dave m
01-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #33
Veteran Member

The social contract or business contract that Pentax has implied to me over the years is as follows (and there are more than I mention here);
No contract. Caveat emptor. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances. Hopefully, after doing some research and analysis. But, to depend on one corporation for your existence? Not a good idea.

I admire long-time Pentaxians. I ain't one. I've been shooting for 5+ decades and the K20D, my first dSLR, is also my first Pentax. (I've since bought and sold Pentax film SLRs.) I am brand-agnostic. I use what works for me, not what is marketed to me. I just looked at my cameras database and I have these totals, of the cameras I now own or know I have owned:

15 - Kodak (7 now)
10 - Pentax (6 now)
7 -- Minolta (3 now)
6 -- Sony (3 now)
5 -- Olympus (3 now)
4 -- Ricoh, Yashica, Argus, Ansco
3 -- Canon, Praktica, Petri
2 -- Voigtlander, Exakta, Fujica
1 -- Zeiss, Porst, Graflex, Mamiya, KMZ, Sakar, Nikon, others

I expect no "social contract" from any of these suppliers. I expect that they sell products that work as specified. That is ALL that I can expect from any of them. If the company survives throughout a product's warranty life, they've done their job.
01-12-2012, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #34
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A few months back I started a thread called a "Revolt is Brewing"
Right, so clearly we don't need a duplicate.

Closed Thread