Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-12-2012, 06:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
That's exactly my point.

To the others, I am not saying I think it will die....in fact common sense simply refuses to allow it - Ricoh just bought a company where the MAJORITY of it's systems are K-mount...why would they kill it? I refuse to believe it. The crux of my post was just to say...if for some reason it *happens*, I will be initially upset, but that isn't going to stop me from investing in K-mount through the K-5.

-Heie
So why didn't you just post your thoughts in the thread that asks whether you will quit buying Pentax lenses? Why did you feel the need to start your own thread to reply? This thread should be rolled into that one, it's the same discussion and the thread title is inflammatory.

01-12-2012, 06:26 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Hmmm....spoken by a guy named......Rico.

Jason
Yeah, well, for a little while a few months ago I was "RioRicoh, the user formerly known as Pentaxio Smurf", but I got over that. Whew.

I'll suggest we need a DOOMSDAY subforum (off the RUMOURS forum) wherein can be located all threads discussing the imminent demise of anything Pentaxian: mounts, formats, lenses, brains. Much brain demise around here, alas. Such a subforum could be easily placed on our IGNORE lists, same as POLITICS and OZ USERS (just kidding!)
01-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Agreed... This discussion is useless. Backwards compatibility is Pentax only BIG selling point. Giving that up would be the instantanious end of the brand.
I support Lowell Goudge and Clavius. The present crippled K-mount, though hardly satisfactory, is still a major incentive for legacy K-mount users to continue with Pentax.
Chhayanat
01-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
On the other hand, Canon's change came up with a much more functional AF mount, and their market share suffered only briefly, then climbed. Some analysts credit their strong dSLR position to the decision to start fresh on the mount. I still like the old FL/FD Canon film cameras, and the lenses are cheap on the used market because they don't fit their new digital cameras! So the change was bad for folks selling used, good for those buying...
Perhaps, but I know someone (BIL actually) who after being screwed twice, switched to Nikon and Leica. Clearly his issue was lack of stability in the mount and lack of care for the end used.

Pros can change gear frequently, because they weaar it out, amatures can't. Canon got through the rough time because the photo business was part of a bigger corporation, pentax was not, and couldn't. I am not sure even now, that it could change, and survive. Also, their mount changes had nothing to do with improved AF, it all had to do with making cameras cheap. No aperture linkave specifically. and no AF motor in the camera.

It puts the cost up on everything but a starter kit.